• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

In past using morphine daily for 2 years and 1 year later going to ER getting oxy/mor

Ne0

Bluelighter
So I've been thinking, because I used opium for 2 years daily and quit it and even after 2 months after last WDS and feeling normal if I take opium just one day I will get annoying mild WDs for one month. So what about if one year later I go to major accident and I get heavy opioids for lets say 3-7 days in hospital, after that will I go these horrible first time WDS again or not? I've heard people who've used strong opioids daily for over year and maybe after 1 year later they take only one day some oopioid and they don't get WD'S anymore from that one time use, but they say they get one day hungover if using 2-3 days. So whats the situation? What is the safe length of abstinence untill you dont get wds just from one use? I'm not talking about starting to use again, but the real situation where you really need them in hospital.

Would be really hell if I'm in intense pain and of need strong opioids to lower the pain for some days, and after that it would start really bad wds. Any experiences?

It's hard to say because every person is different. I was addicted to opiates for several years and weaned myself off. A few months later, I tried 30 mg oxycodone and it made me vomit it was quite intense. So I would say that I was back to baseline and no I didn't experience any sort of withdrawals from that. I wouldn't be afraid if you need them for a future hospitalization or medical situation.

I went from a heavy dose of mostly morphine which was over 300 mgs equivalant plus taking about double that most days to where I am now.

I take 480 to 600 mgs of codeine a day which is heavy for codeine but not really that much for chronic pain.

I was off pills altogether for a couple months once and got in a bad car accident. The hospital gave me over 700 mgs of morphine iv due to my tolerance.

I didn't get sick, same deal with surgery but I was in serious pain.

I think if you start megadosing on your own or stick a needle in your arm as in no medical reason you will get sick the next day.

I think if you take medication for something serious medically it is harder to stop but its not the same beast as before, a small fraction of how bad it was.

The hard part is two things. If you need it for a legit condition and take it long enough you won't want to stop.

Also is harder to treat chronic pain after crossing the line even if it is years back.

It's hard to say because every person is different. I was addicted to opiates for several years and weaned myself off. A few months later, I tried 30 mg oxycodone and it made me vomit it was quite intense. So I would say that I was back to baseline and no I didn't experience any sort of withdrawals from that. I wouldn't be afraid if you need them for a future hospitalization or medical situation.

Ok thanks for information. Because opioids still are the best pain managing medications there are for strong pain.

I think if you start megadosing on your own or stick a needle in your arm as in no medical reason you will get sick the next day.

I don't think it does matter if you take it yourself or the hospital gives you, I mean if the hospital gives you rather large dose of morphine IV its just the same if you do it yourself (tho for recreational purpose rather than medical), for the brain its still the same thing. I'm just little bit stressed, because I know something like kidney stones or you need some kind of surgery would give you so strong pain that you need big dose of morphine and that would make you feel the "warm" or even little bit "high" anyway. But it would be most likely one or two day case, but would really suck if after that starts whole new pain (WD). But good to know that even for past opioid addict it is possible to administer strong opioids later. Because otherwise it would be very serious problem in real case situations. I imagine something like serious car crash you would stay in hospital for month getting iv morphine daily, but I think for 1 month opioid dosing anyone would get some kind of WD's.

I broke my arm, so doctor would like to administer 300mg tramadol and 100mg codeine, daily for week because I have very high tolerance to opioids. My last recreational opioid taking was about 4 months back and I quit daily use about 6 months back, so my wds are long ago gone, so I'm hoping I don't get sick, because I start working (broken arm is not an issue) and would be impossible to work in pain or even worse after that in wds.

Last edited:
Well 5 days ago I took pretty big dose of one medium opioid, didn't get any WD's but I got the usual opioid buzz. So it seems safe now. Not that I'm going to abuse them again, because I don't have any kind of craving for them, just took for some pain. So it seems past opioid dependency does not mean that you cant never use them anymore because of instant WD'S. But I'm sure they come now much quicker on prolonged use.

I'm gonna echo T.'s sentiments. Everybody is different, but given your history, it's well-within the realm of possibility that a weeks' course of Opioids will provoke a withdrawal syndrome of moderate intensity. I would be surprised if, after such a long period of abstinence, a short course of Opioids were to provoke a syndrome of severe intensity i.e. uncontrollable emesis, diarrhea and extreme dysphoria/anxiety. I think it's reasonable to expect some insomnia, mild anxiety, RLS/Akathisia etc. but the symptoms should be manageable.

I'm gonna echo T.'s sentiments. Everybody is different, but given your history, it's well-within the realm of possibility that a weeks' course of Opioids will provoke a withdrawal syndrome of moderate intensity. I would be surprised if, after such a long period of abstinence, a short course of Opioids were to provoke a syndrome of severe intensity i.e. uncontrollable emesis, diarrhea and extreme dysphoria/anxiety. I think it's reasonable to expect some insomnia, mild anxiety, RLS/Akathisia etc. but the symptoms should be manageable.

What about after 10 years of abstinence? I think if one ever gets acute continues pain, then he don't want to stop using them if he gets bad WDS.

Last edited:
way to keep it old-school Coleridge!
but wait, opium or opiate/oid? cause i'm not familiar with the elimination rate of opium from your system: it might take a while

way to keep it old-school Coleridge!
but wait, opium or opiate/oid? cause i'm not familiar with the elimination rate of opium from your system: it might take a while

Nah didn't take opium this last time. It seems I'm clean for WD's for one time use now. At the first I tried after 1 month abstinence from 2 years use and got mild WD's for week, and after that one month later took opium got 1 month WD's. But after 3 months of that single time use I dont get any wds now. Not going to take anything any way tho'. In the future might need to remove my wisdom teeth, for that I'm sure I need 2-3 days vicodin or maybe not who knows. Not going to take that daily use routine anymore.