• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

in need of help,family member uses dab excessively

aguythatlikessmoke

Bluelighter
My sister uses dabs several times a week.She is a good student keeps all her priorities straight. She studies and does well with her curriculum but I notice that she has some emotional problems she is very irritable, depressed,always arguing with the rest of the home members ,disatisified with life,she feels as though she doesnt have enough friends, she loves to argue and she is just acting wacky. I cant say im an angel and I have used drugs occasinally but ive never done them constantly and what kind of effects can continous dabbing have on athe young 19 year old,she uses it weekly sometimes daily. She is highly irritable and I notice her emotional state swing when she smoked it she feels good several hours later she gets depressed irritable and histeric, searchi g for arguements and she feels dissatisified can it cause thus?

This morning we had a chat, our parents are strict and she has a curfew and she would like to stay out late and these things are pissing her off way too much,. She is a great student and she is getting accepted into good schools but this morning she told me that she is sick of school,she doesnt want to work, and she said she wanted to dissapear. She has everything going for her in life, she only has problems with her friends and my parents are strict with her but should these minor problems cause her so much depression,? I think she is acting this way cause she dabs excess

I dab multiple times daily . I doubt it's the dabs , sounds like parents bing to stricked . She's an adult! ! Now

Sounds how I act when my anxiety ramps up and turns to anger and irritation.

Eventually I get so overwhelmed worrying about little things that I honestly think I shouldn't worry about (but just can't stop thinking about) that it morphs into the most poisonous, passive anger you can imagine. I don't pick arguments, but I'll become super confrontational and if someone else wants to take it to another level I'm so with it it's retarded.

Not saying that's what's going on with your li'l sister, but in your OP about her I will say you managed to describe a lot of the shit that tends to go through my head when I'm super stressed. My brother described it perfectly when we were growing up... he always said that I'm never happy until someone else isn't. There's a lotta truth in that, tbh....

As far as the dabs go... I can't say for sure whether I think they're what's causing your sibling to act like this. I stay away from that shit.

Yea jibult its kind of like that. What do you think caused her so much stress? She seems disatisified with her looks,she feels as though she doesnt have enough friends. And yea my mom is strict with her a curfew and my mom ruined a couple of her friendships by not letting her hang out with those people. And she got so angry when some of her friends didnt invite her out including those she wasnt allowed to hang out with. She is aa great student and I see a bright future for her, but today she said she had enough of school and she didnt want to work and she wants to dissapear, and she bitches about her problems to my mom constantly, and upsets my mother I was never like that. Btw why dont u mess with dabs@? I just feel like excess weed and dabs mess with emotions ,too seems to make her more irritble and upset idk

I'm gonna answer your last question first, because that's the only one I can definitively answer. ^_^

I stay away from dabs because close friends of mine have developed tolerances so high that they can't enjoy flowers/regular weed anymore. Like, at all. I'm talking 1.5g of top-shelf stuffed in a cigarillo and smoked by themselves won't do a fuckin' thing for 'em anymore. They went so crazy with dabs that, now, dabs are all they can enjoy to get the effects they desire.

Me? I don't want to ruin my relationship with the love of my life like that. <3

As far as what's going through your sister's head... I can't say for sure. With me, it's a problem of untreated generalized anxiety that I cope with through marijuana use (or abuse, however you wanna look at it.) I internalize and compartmentalize all the god damn time, and that's a big part of my problem. From what you say about your sis, she's actively expressing herself to her support system and that confuses the hell out of me. My money's on stress/anxiety or depression, because it seems like she tries to let you know what's going on and then everything blows up into an argument... maybe because she feels her feelings aren't respected or understood by her family, or that she can't get a word in edgewise to your parents, or that people are always trying to advise her through her problems when all she really wants to do is vent and have somebody get an angry face, nod and say "Yeah, that guy was such an asshole for that."

It's hard to tell. One thing for sure, though, I would definitely be worried if my sibling told me they just "wanted to disappear." I would try to get a little more clarification from her on that line.

Yea she internalizes her problems a lot too, and even when she tells her family members we dont know how to help her, yea thats what she told me this morning and it worried me, do you think weed helps or makes anxiety and depression worse, but I deff relate to the situation.and she thinks we dont listen to her and dont understand her problems but her problems arent so significant, she feels like she needs more friends and that people arent approachin her enough, she thinks she is ugly, she has a grudge against my mother cause my mom controls her, she smokes a lot

She seems to enjoy her time with her friends more than with her family, she even said that me her bro is not her friend, she went to hang out with friends today and I know for a fact her emotions are good now,she feels good with her friends but loves to argue with her family.She got angry cause a friend ditched her and she blames it on my mother, it is true cause this friend of my sister is a bad influence and troubled, and my mom doesnt want my sis around her and yea that friend and another one of my sis friends where hanging out and ditched my sister, they didnt ivite my sis and she feels highly upset

Weed works differently on everybody in the long run. There's no two ways around that that I can see.

I don't really know what to tell you, man, other than what's happened with me. I haven't really found a good solution for that type of shit yet for myself. I don't really think I'm ugly, though... but I definitely do my damndest to be unapproachable. I'm not looking to make new friends. If it happens, it happens, but I pretty much leave the house every day with the intention of minding my own fuckin' business and the assumption that everyone else should be and is doing the same.

I doubt your sister's like that... I just saw a handful of similarities, is all, but from what you're telling me I'm also starting to see big differences, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

I would ask her to consider trying some CBD oil. It counteracts the negative effects of the dabs. She also may dig the other positive results and this may allow her to reduce her dab intake.

She could also consider getting concentrates made from a strain that has both decent THC and and high CBD.. like the Harlequin

I left home when I was sixteen because of well...some things. I came back at 28 because I needed the help of my family. I was out of control and out of my mind.

I would highly suggest maybe suggesting your sister sit down with an impartial person (talk therapist) and talk through the problems she is feeling. A lot of times siblings and parents have a vested interest in fitting a person into a certain mold...and what happens when that family member doesn't want to be that shape? You guessed it, they act out, get angry, express dissatisfaction with life. She is 19, I know that through experience your Mom sees her making mistakes that she has made, but there comes a time when your sister has to make her own mistakes or she will never learn and grow as a person.

I guess in summary. Try suggesting a little talk therapy....you know just one on one. She may feel more comfortable talking to a person from an arbitrary standpoint.

^^ I think that is good advice. It sounds to me like it's not a problem that's caused by the cannabis use, but one she is dabbing to get some relief from. In the long term excessive cannabis use is probably going to make things worse, but I don't think that's really the most important issue - the problems she's having are still going to be there dabs or no dabs, and need to be addressed at the source. I had a similar relationship with my parents (and cannabis) at that age, and the thing that helped the most was getting some distance from them when I moved out. I did a lot of dumb stuff the next few years that my parents weren't too happy about, but that's what you do at 19.

I think the best thing to do is try to give her love and support without pushing any agenda. Tell her you are there to listen, and offer to assist in finding professional help if that's something she wants to do. I think it's hard, especially for parents, to see a family member suffering, and the instinctive response is to try to fix the situation, but often the best thing you can do is back off and let them figure it out for themselves. Like manboychef says, we all need to make our own mistakes to grow. If she's happier with her friends than her family.. the best thing to do may be to let her spend more time with her friends. It's natural to want some space from your family at that age when you are trying to figure out who YOU are, for yourself, not who your parents want you to be. It might be something to talk about with your parents as well. Even though their concerns come from a good place, having overbearing parents at that age can be very damaging. Mine were like that too and ten years later it still feels like I'm working out my teenage stuff because I was never able to back then, and I still often have to tell my parents to back off.

The high-CBD strains are also good advice. I struggle with issues around anxiety, stress, depression, etc, and high-cbd strains help a lot more than regular high-THC ones.

Last edited:
That's a crazy time in life. I don't know if cannabis/dab is helping, but I don't think it is the sole cause of her behavior. I acted pretty similar when I was a teenager until I moved out basically right when I turned 18. Never smoked or drank until I was 19. I felt much of the same way, except I had an excessive amount of energy and felt the need to constantly stay busy. Ended up moving to Seattle for a while to because I really wanted to get away from family life and what not. It wasn't until I moved and started having serious problems with sleeping that I got into smoking weed all the time. Now my parents are quick to blame all my troubles on cannabis. My dad thinks the reason I have little to say to him is because I'm stoned all the time, in reality it is because we never worked out problems rooted deep in our relationship.

If you can get your sister out of the house and around some of her friends and then watch how she acts, you will probably get a more accurate gauge of who she really is and how she really feels. For me, when I am at home even still I feel suffocated and like I can't/shouldn't express any emotion or if I do I need to apologize for it. My parents start getting worried and I feel like my mom has me on suicide watch- but around my friends I feel fine. Honestly just being around my parents make me feel despondent, sometimes I can't hold back the tears and just leave abruptly. It's hard to explain, but it's tied to a lot of bad memories and unresolved issues.

If you asked my dad about me, unfortunately he probably wouldn't say too many good things about me. He accused me of being on drugs until I was actually on them. I was just depressed as a kid- all my problems weren't caused by my parents, but unfortunately they unintentionally made some of them worse.

I think the feeling of wanting to escape and disapear is pretty common for that age. Tbh, for many of us feeling that, I think it is a good thing to pursue that feeling and actually get out. If anything it might help to remind her that these feelings will fade, but if she passes up on her dreams and goals to get high- those are some regrets that might not ever fade.

TL;DR:
I don't think it's the weed causing her emotional problems, but I don't think it is really helping her if she is over using. Trying to decide what school to go to, what major to choose and potential career to pursue- all while maintain, build and expand your social life... it can easily be overwhelming and someone going through all this might see responsibility and anyone trying to remind them of responsibility as an enemy.

TBH, I think her use of dab is more of a sign that she is struggling to handle or deal with some emotional stress, etc. If you can find a way to get her out of the house and figure out what parts of her life are really bugging her and why I bet you might see a totally different side to her.

Last edited:
When I first started using hash oil, most people couldn't handle it.

I feel it can bring out the more negative aspects of cannabis use.