• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

In need of an opinion (adderall usage)

Frosty1

Bluelighter
For some context, I live a unhealthy lifestyle. I eat like crap, am dependent on marijuana/ecigs, suffer from acute memory/cognition/depression problems and am very unfit. Now obviously I know that a healthy diet and lifestyle would beat any sort of stack that I can take, but it’s hard to start any meaningful process when the other parts of your life starts to crashing down. I need a kickstart.

Thankfully I have a lot of self control when it comes to adderall (due to how scary the side effects are) and have found that it’s the only thing that can get me to do anything meaningful and makes the uphill battle a leveled one. I explained to my psychiatrist what I’m going through and even though I don’t have ADHD, I was still able to be prescribed it (5mg IR 2x a day). I explained honestly that my education was suffering massively and that I wasn’t able to get anything done; not to mention that by the end of October of this year, if I can’t pass my licensing exams I lose my job.

Now. I am taking initiatives to improve my health and I’m 3 weeks in from weed cessation and after the month I want to quit e cigs. After ceasing recreational drugs, I then want to slowly improve my eating habits and exercise more often. The person in me just wants to get this all over with and take on all of them at once, but as experience would tell me, it would not work. Changing my lifestyle will definitely be a slow one.

I am in no way knowledgeable when it comes to the pharmaceutical aspect of using supplements/nootropics. I try to do my research as accurately as possible, but god damn is it hard to understand what they’re talking about when I have to search definitions to almost every word they use. I tried asking my psychiatrist about supplements I can/t take with adderall, but with any questions I had, I immediately was shut down and was told not to use anything.

Finally. I tried coming up with a stack to help combat any neurotoxicity/mental side effects that would come when taking adderall, to help quit my dependency on weed/nic and to somewhat improve my acute mental problems. I was thinking of taking….
CoQ10 - For heart/antioxidant support (anecdotal reports also say that it helps with memory and cognition)
L-Tyrosine - For neurotransmitter support
Turmeric (w 100mg of 95% Turmeric extract/ black pepper) - For brain health and mood support
Agmatine Sulfate - For weed cessation (education guess) and to help with my mental problems.
Magnesium - To help with tolerance
Melatonin-

Would you make any changes in the stack? Would there be any bad interactions, when taken alongside adderall? I tried finding information on each supplement to see when would be the best time to take it, but answers are pretty mixed, what would be your opinion? Or just any bits of wisdom you’d want to share with me.

I understand that prolonged usage will cause problems in people, but I did go over this with my psychiatrist and agreed that by October I would be off this drug. I know that self improvement is a long and strenuous task, but I don’t have time for that. I know that once the time is up, I will be taking at least a month break from work and take the time to come up with a game plan for an actual improvement journey (for now, I just need to get this done as quick and as safely as possible).

Was this the right discussion to post this question into? Should I try a different discussion group?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Hi Frosty! I'm gonna move this over to our Health & Recovery forum where it will get better results :)

As for your stack, it looks pretty good!
The only thing I personally don't know anything about is agmatine, so hopefully someone else can comment on that.

Also I personally have used acetyl l-carnitine for improved memory/brain function, with great results!! I haven't used l-tyrosine so I can't comment on it. But if you want something that is very effective at helping with memory, l-carnitine is the way to go.

You should also consider taking just a regular multivitamin, to make sure you're getting your daily vitamins and minerals.

And as always, please make sure you buy reputable, high quality products with high bioavailability. If they're cheap quality it's a waste of time as your body won't absorb them properly.

Good on you, and all the best on your journey to health!!

In my case, I try not to make things too complicated. I've used magnesium and melatonin in the past, but not for that long. My mode is taking the fewest amount of substances that I need, so I tend to just do what's prescribed and recommended. Adderall itself would be powerful enough for me, for example, even if some supplement might help deal with side effects. It's been used on a macro level since the 1930's, and those folks didn't have our access to all of these esoteric supplements. All I ask is that you discuss this with your doctor!

Good that you're on a low dose. The lowest possible dose that still deals with organic sysmptoms is usually the way to go. I will say that weed tends to mess with thinking, though. I don't see any negative interactions other than mucking up the picture possibly. Do you need to take those supps?

And lol on the Ted Talk comment:cool:

This is the dumb part. I tried but they said to talk to my psychiatrist and she said not to even try. My biggest worry is that I’ll be addicted or experience problems with my neurochemistry. I agree I should try to take the fewest substances I can, but looking through all the options. I’m afraid I’m making the wrong mistake. I think I might just do one for neuroprotection, antioxidants, and something for my heart.

This is the dumb part. I tried but they said to talk to my psychiatrist and she said not to even try. My biggest worry is that I’ll be addicted or experience problems with my neurochemistry. I agree I should try to take the fewest substances I can, but looking through all the options. I’m afraid I’m making the wrong mistake. I think I might just do one for neuroprotection, antioxidants, and something for my heart.
Is there a particular reason you're concerned about your heart? Family medical history perhaps?

No not really. I’m just worried because I have a unhealthy lifestyle. When I did take adderall recreationally I did put some stress on my heart, but with this rx I really just want to stay as low as possible and as healthy as I can be. I’m just worried that I might cause irreversible damage.

No not really. I’m just worried because I have a unhealthy lifestyle. When I did take adderall recreationally I did put some stress on my heart, but with this rx I really just want to stay as low as possible and as healthy as I can be. I’m just worried that I might cause irreversible damage.
Okay that's fair.
If you are worried about your heart health whilst on adderall though, also get your heart checked via ECG now, then in another couple of months, and see how you go.

supplements for heart health
you can take Coq10 with Piperine there is Coq10 sold with piperine and without you should if you want to use it get the one with it. Its more bioavailable
and fish oil with a separate choline supplement for better metabolic absorption of the fish oil
human body is pretty damn miraculous with It’s ability to heal itself when you treat it well if you stop in time 🌞

Coincidentally I found emoxypine to be the best aid against stimulant comedown/rebound. It is a vitamine derived antioxidant which increases dopamine levels and avoids oxidizing that which creates free oxygen radicals, putting a strain on dopaminergic neurons. It's not FDA approved but available online, and taking the recommended dosage (125mg 3-4x a day afaik) took almost the complete rebound from methylphenidate, no more rebound irritability, nervousness etc. I don't know for sure whether it will work with amphetamine as well but I'll for sure try it out whenever I found a new doc who's willing to prescribe me Vyvanse.

I'm in the same boat, my attention span went from moderate adult ADD to down the toilet/full on ADHD during my junk years when I was abusing deschloroketamine, moprphine and alcohol together with a junkie diet, sleep deprivation etc. you name it. Quit all substances besides antidepressant (which I'm tapering currently, it's a bitch) for around a year with one short relapse some months ago and while most symptoms improved from slightly to heavily, yet my attention span remains to be low and interferes with studying/learning. Specially now that I'm in a new country and have to learn the language. I just don't progress really when in other times learning was almost free. The ADD always made me not learn things which I wouldn't get the first attempts but it's an entirely new level now.

Thought about supplements too, but they're freaking expensive over here, probably because customs stop almost everything independent of legality. So I have to choose wisely, and most of what the only shop so far sells isn't for neuroregeneration but fitness. Yeah, I know too, that I should spend the money on a gym abo instead of supplements but I didn't do much sports during most of my life and before addiction I was pretty fit for that. Did a recent blood sample and prolactin was 4-times elevated while test on the lower end. So I guess I'd benefit from more dopamine and indeed my recent experiments with coca leaves seem to support this. Will continue to look for a doctor willing to prescribe me stims.

@Frosty1 Did you try the supplements you're taking one by one? Which one would you say comes with the most benefits? Interested in agmatine but read more than once here on BL that it wasn't that active even when it's a purposed neurotransmitter. Forgot why, but assume its BA is low, like e.g. serotonin of which a banana gives you plenty but all's destroyed by MAO.