• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

In Memory of Phil

BlueEyesBrown

Greenlighter
Found out this evening a guy who'd been very kind to me during a time in my life when there wasn't much kindness from any corner, passed away from an overdose. I always called him Phil, even though that wasn't his name, because when we first met I couldn't ever remember by what name he'd been introduced. When he found out I had him saved as Phil in my phone he thought it much funnier than it actually was. Many aspects of who he was were a mystery, but he had the look that many who have lived hard share with each other- the one that seems, at first, a quick flash of shadow across a face or the eyes but eventually makes its permanent home in both. It is the look that says "The world is a fucked up place. I know it, you know it, but man, I'm going to keep fighting. Because I fucking can and because every once in a while I can genuinely smile, maybe even laugh." Phil was a good man. He was quiet. He was sarcastic and could be cutting for no real reason. But he cared. He'd apologize when he went too far and he was understanding if you might do the same. He was always saying how he needed more time to do all the shit he had to do, yet he'd sit for a while and talk anyways - maybe about something important, probably about nothing at all. Yet even taking that extra time, he was never late. Phil had many friends, if you know what I mean, but only two have written on his memorial page and I bet, wherever he's at right now, that gets at him a little. All I can offer are these words, some positive thoughts sent your way and a final 'thank you' for the kindness and generosity you gave to me until I was able to give it to others. Rest in peace. Phil was 26 years old.

Lovely tribute to your friend. It's always sad to read this stuff.

Gonna move this over to The Shrine.

Sorry that your heart is hurting.

What beautiful things to say about someone, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Phil, sounds like you were loved and gone far too soon.

Phil sounds like good people, and this is a wonderful tribute to your friend. I think this would have made him really happy. ❤️