• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

In Latin America: President Obama faces Drug Legalization

microtel

Bluelighter
"At Latin America summit, President Obama to face Drug Legalization"
Latin American leaders at the Summit of the Americas, in their attempt to curb regional drug violence,
calling for legalizing marijuana and other drugs.

By Christi Parsons and Brian Bennett, Los Angeles Times [latimes.com]
April 13, 2012

CARTAGENA, Colombia — President Obama will highlight trade and business opportunities in Latin America at a regional summit in Colombia this weekend, but other leaders may upstage him by pushing to legalize marijuana and other illicit drugs in a bid to stem rampant trafficking....Obama, who opposes decriminalization, is expected to face a rocky reception in this Caribbean resort city, which otherwise forms a friendly backdrop for a U.S. president courting Latino voters in an election year. But the American demand for illegal drugs has caused fierce bloodshed, plus political and economic turmoil, across much of the region....Colombia's president, Juan Manuel Santos, wants the 33 leaders at the Summit of the Americas to consider whether the solution should include regulating marijuana, and perhaps cocaine, the way alcohol and tobacco are. Other member states also are calling for that dialogue despite the political discomfort it may cause Obama back home...

The call for change comes from front-line veterans of the drug wars, including Colombia. Santos says he has the moral authority to seek new solutions because his country's citizens and security forces have spilled so much blood fighting drug traffickers. Also leading the charge is Guatemala's president, Otto Perez Molina...."We cannot eradicate global drug markets, but we can certainly regulate them as we have done with alcohol and tobacco markets," he wrote in the British newspaper the Observer on April 7..."We should have this debate, and the reason is to dispel some of the myths that exist about legalization," Biden told reporters. "There are those people who say, 'If you legalize, you are not going to expand the number of consumers significantly.' Not true."...

The idea of regulating and taxing the production and sale of illegal drugs isn't new. A panel led by former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan and past presidents of Mexico, Brazil and Colombia concluded in a report in June that the drug war had "failed" and recommended easing penalties for farmers and low-level drug users...

Source: latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-latin-america-summit-20120414,0,4728967.story
#

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does the US care about the legality of cocaine and marijuana in Honduras and Guatemala? Perhaps because it would reduce the profits of security corporations like Dyncorp and Raytheon.

The reports specifically criticize the government's growing use of U.S. contractors, which were paid more than $3 billion to train local prosecutors and police, help eradicate fields of coca, operate surveillance equipment and otherwise battle the widening drug trade in Latin America over the last five years.

The majority of U.S. counter-narcotics contracts are awarded to five companies: DynCorp, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, ITT and ARINC, according to the report for the contracting oversight subcommittee, part of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/577061-U.S.-can-t-justify-its-drug-war-spending-reports-say

I really wish South America would tell the US to go fuck itself.

What would be really interesting is if the latino immigrant community in the US began to put pressure on the government in the name of their relatives and home country, especially in an election year. The US are willing to let tens of thousands of brown people die because they don't want to upset the right wing morons too much, but if there were votes on the line they'd change their tune fairly quickly.

Thatd be real nice if they tried to regulate the cocaine market so id finally be able to get some goooood shit.

Thatd be real nice if they tried to regulate the cocaine market so id finally be able to get some goooood shit.

lol no shit right? Anyway I expect Obama to brush them off offer them more economic and military aid to shut em up. I think the Latin American countrys have finally found an issue they can use as leverage against american hedgmony.

Then there would be no more Levamisole in the coke suppressing our immune systems!

Lol Obama says "we need to reduce demand and have stronger law enforcement."

That's because Obama works for the Bush family. Check out the wikipedia for Iran Contra and a company called Zapata Corporation. Its Fucking disgusting and it makes a lot of sense why the ATF has been supplying guns to the cartels and the DEA launders the money. "Too see where it ends up" LMAO. The drug war is run by criminals who learned to exploit the public 60 years ago.

Is it a coincidence JFK pardoned hundreds of drug offenders and then with 75 minutes GHW Bush was fingering a politician from Houston? I think not. Bush and hisI company were all over Iran contra, with the CIA

Lol Obama says "we need to reduce demand and have stronger law enforcement."

That's because Obama works for the Bush family. Check out the wikipedia for Iran Contra and a company called Zapata Corporation. Its Fucking disgusting and it makes a lot of sense why the ATF has been supplying guns to the cartels and the DEA launders the money. "Too see where it ends up" LMAO. The drug war is run by criminals who learned to exploit the public 60 years ago.

Is it a coincidence JFK pardoned hundreds of drug offenders and then with 75 minutes GHW Bush was fingering a politician from Houston? I think not. Bush and hisI company were all over Iran contra, with the CIA

The Bush empire started with the grandfather in opium trade years ago................as for "our government", dont get me started, they are all drug dealers, start wars & money launderers & have & will kill people to get the job done.......

What would be really interesting is if the latino immigrant community in the US began to put pressure on the government in the name of their relatives and home country, especially in an election year. The US are willing to let tens of thousands of brown people die because they don't want to upset the right wing morons too much, but if there were votes on the line they'd change their tune fairly quickly.

Pretty much.

The Bush empire started with the grandfather in opium trade years ago................as for "our government", dont get me started, they are all drug dealers, start wars & money launderers & have & will kill people to get the job done.......
The saddest part is how oblivious Americans are to the fact they are being exploited by politicians and the global mega-elite criminals

The saddest part is how oblivious Americans are to the fact they are being exploited by politicians and the global mega-elite criminals

Americans are brainwashed from what they see on tv, then again, everyone is brainwashed in every country from what they see & hear on tv from their governments & higher ups. If its on CNN, it must be true is their thinking when in reality, CNN is run by a criminal empire (all media is actually) & you're 100% correct about the global elite.............

This would be an interesting turn of events indeed. I think they should do it regardless of how the US government feels. I wonder how the US would react, I mean, what could they really do without looking even worse than they already do?

Start another war on terror with no evidence. What would be different?

The issue is that the majority of the demand for drugs is coming from the US - even if Latin America legalized drugs, as long as the US still continues their prohibition, the violence and black market will still continue. The bulk of the money and demand is coming from the States. If Latin America can't pressure it's northern neighbor to reevaluate its drug policy, the violence is not going to disappear. America is large enough that much of the population is not at all affected by drug prohibition - but in Central and South America, drug-related violence has been a huge source of violence and instability for decades. Hopefully Latin America will be able to pressure the US into changing their drug policy - that's probably our best bet for seeing any reform in the near future.

^ I'm hoping one day (soon) big pharma will pressure the government into reforming drug laws so they can capitalize on a whole new market. I figure money is the biggest factor that keeps the drug war going, so it won't change unless there's money to be made.

The problem is that the banking industry and a few high level CIA politicians have a heavy interest in the illegal profits the way it is now. They don't want to change it. I do not doubt with "Fast & Furious" and the money laundering schemes the current administration is putting forth, I have no doubt they are just continuing the same schemes that have been going on about 25+ years.

Presidential picks are paved way by the previous administration, which is why we always get a new president who promises big changes, then nothing really does.

Funny how people blame "right wing nuts" for everything, even when the prez is a Democrat. Or so he says. This man has done more to erode our freedoms than Bush ever did! From renewing the most controversial part of the Patriot Act to signing the NDAA to stepping up medical marijuana raids, Obama has gone back on every empty promise he ever made during his "Hope/Change" brainwashing campaign. It's just that the people who voted for him are too stubborn and ego-driven to admit that they were fooled and made the wrong decision at the polls in 2008.

If these breeches of freedom happened under a Republican president's watch, I guarantee you'd be all over it. When will people see that Obama, Clinton and all other so-called "democrats" are every bit as evil as their opponents? Maybe a little more sinister because of how they manipulate their apostles into voting for them and then go back on everything they said. At least we knew what we were getting with Bush, Reagan, etc. No surprises there. :\

People need to put their egos aside and admit to themselves that our president is a total fuck-up. An eloquent, hip fuck-up, but a fuck-up nonetheless.