View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

imtrusive thoughts and images on psychedelics

Storms

Bluelighter
hi everyone, so the last few times i've tripped on shrooms and lsd i started getting violent imagery in my head and an urge to hurt myself or my friends. normally i would never hurt anyone, or even think about it, whether i was tripping or not, so i found these thoughts pretty disturbing. it was like all the empathy had been sucked out of me and i was now replaced with someone evil. i started making growling noises at my boyfriend just cause i felt like it :\

sure it could be demonic possession or something but i feel like it's more my hidden violent urges (which everyone has) coming to the surface. i have no issue with confronting the fact that there's a dark side to me that can do bad things, but damn, shit is scary still lol. anyways after the trip wore off i was mostly back to normal. it was strange because usually tripping makes me more empathetic.

has anyone else experienced this? what do you think causes it?

also as a note i've been diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder and i often get intrusive violent images but it's always other people committing violence against me, never me being the violent one. which is why i found this switch unnerving. i would say i have high empathy, i can feel what other people feel most of the time, and i would never hurt anyone or anything. i don't even eat meat lol.
i've been wondering if i also have ocd or something since it's often comorbid with stpd, since people with ocd have thoughts like this.

anyways thanks for reading guys

suicidal/homicidal thoughts are a mental health symptom and sounds like you might be getting a little psychotic. your playing with fire with psychs if this is the reaction you are getting. might want to take a step back and re-evaluate. you are not being possessed just psychedelics don't sound like they are agreeing with you.

best of luck.

hi everyone, so the last few times i've tripped on shrooms and lsd i started getting violent imagery in my head and an urge to hurt myself or my friends. normally i would never hurt anyone, or even think about it, whether i was tripping or not, so i found these thoughts pretty disturbing. it was like all the empathy had been sucked out of me and i was now replaced with someone evil. i started making growling noises at my boyfriend just cause i felt like it :\

sure it could be demonic possession or something but i feel like it's more my hidden violent urges (which everyone has) coming to the surface. i have no issue with confronting the fact that there's a dark side to me that can do bad things, but damn, shit is scary still lol. anyways after the trip wore off i was mostly back to normal. it was strange because usually tripping makes me more empathetic.

has anyone else experienced this? what do you think causes it?

also as a note i've been diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder and i often get intrusive violent images but it's always other people committing violence against me, never me being the violent one. which is why i found this switch unnerving. i would say i have high empathy, i can feel what other people feel most of the time, and i would never hurt anyone or anything. i don't even eat meat lol.
i've been wondering if i also have ocd or something since it's often comorbid with stpd, since people with ocd have thoughts like this.

anyways thanks for reading guys

The use of 5ht2a agonists (classic psychedelics) is contraindicated in those diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder, as they often exacerbate the negative effects of the disorder in both the short term and long term, so it's not surprising that you're having these intrusive thoughts.

I don't think this is what you want to hear, but the reality is that you should stop tripping. While there may be some people with the disorder who are able to safely trip, you are already experiencing negative symptoms associated with those with the disorder who trip, and that should be a definite warning sign that it isn't good for your mental health.

Please be responsible, for your own sake and those around you.

thanks for the replies guys. i've considered not tripping ever again but it seems not realistic, especially since i used to have such positive and spiritual experiences. i keep trying to recreate what i had before, but maybe my brain has changed too much for psychedelics to have the same effects as before. :(

i don't think i'm going psychotic, if anything i feel less psychotic after tripping, and like i said i don't get suicidal or homicidal thoughts normally.

thanks for the replies guys. i've considered not tripping ever again but it seems not realistic, especially since i used to have such positive and spiritual experiences. i keep trying to recreate what i had before, but maybe my brain has changed too much for psychedelics to have the same effects as before. :(

i don't think i'm going psychotic, if anything i feel less psychotic after tripping, and like i said i don't get suicidal or homicidal thoughts normally.

Maybe not psychotic, idk, but that can be a symptom. Its the sickness acting up though and aggravating things. Maybe you can return at some point in the future, but for now, id take a long break. If you decide to keep using, keep your dose low. I think tryptamines can be a little gentler than LSD. LSD can get you in trouble on the tail end and bc of the duration. Tripping isn't worth it if you feel this way though. Sometimes we want to recreate our trips from the past, but that doesn't always work out. Always put your mental health first. These thoughts aren't exactly harmless thoughts. best to keep them at bay if possible.

no judgements and I've been taking a long break myself but for different reasons. Sometimes it can be hard to accept that tripping isn't the best thing for us. Just put it on the shelf for a bit if nothing else.

As has been said, taking psychedelic drugs is dangerous in the context of your mental health issue. The concerns you expressed about your symptoms are a warning sign. If you must continue to trip, stick to low doses and don't do it often. Maybe that will be okay, but do pay attention to yourself. Pushing the envelope would be asking for trouble.