• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Improving Short Term Memory

CynaKill, I personally believe that the 3-4 week thing on most of those products is bullshit, but you certainly can't expect an instant improvement. I started taking a similar formula maybe a week ago, and I'm already noticing a difference. I've used this formula before (strangely enough at about May and September of each year!) and it's been the same each time.

By the reference to vein tone, I'm assuming that's referring to the health of the veins, as in the strength of the vein walls. Gotu Kola is touted as a blood pressure normaliser in addition to the brain fuel properties. Don't know if that explains it very well, but I'm happy to try again if it hasn't ;)

As far as I'm concerned, amphetamine use does affect concentration levels negatively. Sleep deprivation definately does. I find that with both recent amphetamine use and sleep deprivation, being engaged in something active (like house cleaning as a bad example) is easy enough to handle, but sitting still reading, or trying to write is an uphill battle.

sMiLeYcHrIs said:
It may not be a problem to you, but I bet many of us here care about our general and mental health. thats why we post here. If you arent bothered about yours, then thats up to you, but it's wrong to advice people NOT to pay attention to what their bodies and minds are telling them about their health...

but i am trying to say that short term memory isnt scary.

If you want a supplement for memory try fish oil, it works.. if u want to know more search for yourself

^^
fish oil or flaxseed oil (omega 3 sources) are excellent for memory, glad you pointed that out because I thought to and then promptly did something else!

also more nutrients that may assist memory/brain function
acetyl-L-carnitine (better than L-carnitine)
L-glutamine

Of course there are heaps more, but I won't go on today ;)

I bought Nutra-Life Health & Fitness Glutamine 1000 (1000mg glutamine tablets) a few months ago... Is this the same as L-Glutamine?

Or did I buy the wrong one? :eek:

Gonna fetch some of that flaxseed oil tomorrow, memory me damn it! :p

I _think_ it's the same thing, I don't think it's allowed to be sold in any other form here in Aus.

Hey...........I was having the same problem with my merory until recently, i feel that giving your head a rest once in a while does a world of good(a few weeks at most) and makes it so much better the next time you roll/somke/etc. At one point i felt the effects so bad that i ended up thinking that everything i had done in the last few hours was totally weird and that i must have been totally stoned, even normal things like watching tv, talking to friends, stuff like that. In my opinion the best advice ever given to me was clear my head for a few weeks. Responsible use is the best thing out there and makes the experience more enjoyable. Actually getting out there and going to events, parties instead of putting on a few cds on repeat and spending most of the week on the couch completly out of it. I found that getting a job helps especially one that keeps you on your toes and distracts you from anything else, i was fired after three weeks but all the same it did me and the bank balance a world of good.

My roomate is a neural biology major & she just found out that vitamin e acts as a repair mechanism for all the bad shit that herb does to you...

so take some supplements

nanobrain said:
on other topics, the disruption caused by Weed et al. is in the short-to-long term memory conversion process.

the following WORK in restoring/improving this mechanism, as supported by an extensive clinical and anecdotal body of evidence. as do many other commonly available nootropics.

piracetam (Nootropil) works
Anacervix (piracetam+vincamine) works better
Hydergine works
centrophenoxine (Lucidril) works
l-phenylalanine works
l-deprenyl (Jumex, Lucidril, Eldepryl) works (caution advised)

most available herbal extracts, imnsho, have little cognition enhancing value. [/B]

Nanobrain: could you please expand on the "caution advised" regarding l-deprenyl... I've been taking 5mg/day for about a month now (with 1600mg piracetam, 500mg centrophenoxine, 1000mg l-phenylalanine and 500mg acetyl-l-cartnitine) and have noticed no bad side-effects. Just wondering why you advise caution? Is it because of the higher dosage (~15mg+/day) MAO-a inhibition? Also.. I've ordered some 20mg vincamine... I remember in another thread you recommended significantly cutting down the piracetam when combining the two. In your opinion (you seem to be the most educated about nootropics on BL), what do you think is best... cut down to 800mg or even 400mg?

(and yes, I have noticed a significant increase in memory retention/cognitive function... I was at a point where I was even forgetting the names of significant characters in books I was reading! oh.. and appointments with customers :))

Cheers,
Rosencavelier

^
yes, its due to l-deprenyl's less-selective inhibition of Chairman MAO at higher doses, also because of increase in amphetaminergic-type side effects (tachychardia, excitation, etc).

w/Vincamine, i'd try the least effective dose of piracetam, 400, after all why take more if less works?

ymmv as always. keep us up on how you go with the nootropic course.

Hey, I have been smoking about 2-3 times a day, nothing TOO much

Hate to burst your bubble , but if pot is causing the problem , the only way it can be truly solved is to remove the cause. If a drug is making life difficult, then I dont see how MORE drugs(of any kind) would make things better.

Taking other drugs could make things better by removing particular negative effects caused by a drug.