• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids *Impossible* to get a cold/flu while on opiates?

Oh yes, I've been doing this for years. Coughing up phlegm and lying on the bathrrom floor covered in puke are very distinguishable for me by now

Ha, i just tried to find something similar about what Bomb319 reported, and here i am :)

I've following problem: since at least 10years now i'm suffering a terrible Rhinitis, had various visits @ doctors, at least two MRI's made over that space of time and went to a neurologist, but they couldn't find an answer and said i should take Pseudoephedrine whenever it's really bad. Could be perhaps because of my nasal septum being crooked, but better taking PE than having a surgical intervention. I thought the same.

Now after some time taking opioids i can say that this problem totally solved, even with lowish doses and ALL opioid substances i ingested. I know this isn't the solution, but i can also say that this is the first year ever that i wasn't sick during fall.

What me bothers now is, that approx. 1-3 days afterwards having last dosed some opioid, this effect is subsiding and i'm gettin' the runnin' nose again :X

I've been using opioids for almost 2 years straight, and I have an IGG immune system deficiency that I've recently found out about. Before my opioid use I would get sick at least once a month really bad and 1-2 minor sicknesses as well. Since using I've gotten sick a total of 2 times that weren't dope sick. Once was a really bad cold when I was trying to cut back on my opioid intake to quick and the other is right now. The first time wasn't as bad as this time. Currently I'm congested in my head and chest, coughing my head off, hacking up mucous, aches and pains, tired all the time and sweating a lot. At first I thought it was dope sick from cutting back again until the. Congestion. Since getting sick I've increased my intake of opioids to try and counter the sickness. I believe I may have bronchitis this time which I used to get at least 4 times a year when the seasons would change, yet this is the first time in 2 years I've gotten it. As long as I don't cut down on my opioid use I don't seem to get sick but once I cut back to about half my normal intake I seem to get sick within 2-3 days. I'm not sure if this helps anyone but I figured I would share since I have a sucky immune system.

I asked my doctor about this, because I never had a great immune system, but since using pain medication regularly for years, I've been sicker than I ever have in my life. Every year I get something crazy. A few years ago I had mono! As a 30something year old. Last year I got viral meningitis. This year it was walking pneumonia. I'm trying to get off of all meds because of this phenomenon.

WOW this thread has been around years :)

I've been on suboxone for three years now and I've had my first cold now on 1.6 mg I have not had a cold, coughed or anything since being on Buprenorphine. Well not sure whether it could be the naloxone having an affect on my not getting a cold because now I'm on 1.6 mg I'm actually taking subutex which is Buprenorphine without naloxone since they only do 0.4 pills in subutex and not suboxone.

Evey

I never got sick often until I had a kid, I was sick on opiates. Nothing too bad but it does help with my allergies, no doubt. I bet most of the posters are young and have no kids wait until you have a little virus bucket running around, then re visit

I don't know about the other members but I'm 36 with seven year old. To be honest my immune system is real good n really it's all in the mind about being sick. If you don't want to be sick and really will yourself to be better, you will be.

Evey

That's bc you're a mom , and moms are tough as shit !! My wife loves to laugh at what pussies us guys are when we get a little sick .... There's lotsa truth in that , moms can tough out some serious shit .... A sniffle puts me on the couch
But , w/ this thread - I'd have to say I agree , I haven't been sick in years now ; ) I guess that's a downside I have approaching me real real soon thou , my luck I'll get the flu in the middle of friggin' summer - guess I'll have it comin' to me thou , fully deserved ....

That's bc you're a mom , and moms are tough as shit !! My wife loves to laugh at what pussies us guys are when we get a little sick .... There's lotsa truth in that , moms can tough out some serious shit .... A sniffle puts me on the couch
But , w/ this thread - I'd have to say I agree , I haven't been sick in years now ; ) I guess that's a downside I have approaching me real real soon thou , my luck I'll get the flu in the middle of friggin' summer - guess I'll have it comin' to me thou , fully deserved ....

hahahahaha I'm not that tough the only reason I through the labour because they gave me diamorphine and I was away with the fairies :)
The gas n air was absolute shite and just made me nauseate green stuff everywhere like something from the Exorcist.

Evey

Yep, almost impossible to catch a cold, or a flu, when hooked on opiates, even for me, as I get sick every winter, or twice a year at best. But when I start detoxing, after two or three days of being sober, sometimes I get sick real serious, with the mist intense flu symptoms. My layman theory's that the immune system gets defficient when you cut off the regular intake of heroin, and higher the dosage of substance you take per day, higher the risk you'll get ill, with severe symptoms. But that can be helpful -- lying in bed dead-sick, getting off of the drug, recuperating with methadone, and aspirine! :)

I don't know who thought this one up but I can tell your first-hand it's not true. I have a ragging cold right now (congestion, thick in chest and a cough) and I've been on LT opioids for years. Granted I don't get them too often but from time to time, it does happen. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would think one couldn't get a cold while taking opioids. Can someone explain the theory behind that one?