• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Imperative explanation/understanding of addiction - Incredible.

Snakes

Bluelighter
something I thought that was imperative to share with everyone here was a TedTalk someone gave on the topic of addiction. I genuinely believe this will assist some out there who are attempting to quit. It's 15 minutes but I think it will be the most important 15 minute talk anyone who is trying quit any sort of addiction should hear. So please, go ahead, CLICK this link, and watch this video if you are trying to quit, having a better understanding will fundamentally assist you in trying to motivate yourself to quit. Any analysis anyone wishes to give would be warmly accepted.

I know some people are critical about TedTalks and they do receive a rather mixed batch of reviews from various people. However, this one is quite down to earth and gripping in my personal opinion.

I won't directly insert the video here as some may have slower connections than others, so here is he link via YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

What a great video highlighting how, in most countries, outdated and ineffective approaches to 'managing' addiction still very much prevail.

It's about time that addiction is unversally treated as a complex health and social problem rather than the outcome of a simplified and amoral criminal choice.

Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
It's about time that addiction is unversally treated as a complex health and social problem rather than the outcome of a simplified and amoral criminal choice.

I couldn't agree more with that. Have seen that TED Talk before and am probably a little less impressed with it second time around. I do think it is a big step in the right direction but am not convinced by the seemingly massively oversimplified concept of addiction portrayed. Whilst I am absolutely positive that the general approach he suggests would be a big improvement over what currently exists, I honestly don't think it would "solve" addiction at a stroke which is kinda how it comes over. Such changes would make for a significant and vital support for more specific and targeted help.

I personally believe there is no 'cure' for addiction. It's a disease that has to run its course, and the course is unique to everybody on it.