• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I'm thinking about taking an extra Lexapro for anxiety

Strawberry Hill

Greenlighter
I am on 20mg of Lexapro and 200mg of Lamical. I am having some unusual anxiety today. Is it advisable to take another dose of Lexapro or Lamictal?

Thank you!

I don't think lexapro is made to use like that. I'm sure you know, it's not a benzo, so taking an extra won't give you immediate relief.

I would consult your doctor. Tell them what's going on, and see what they have to say.

I take 40mg Lexapro daily and the first response to your question is right in that it takes at least 2 or more weeks of raising or lowering a dosage of Lexapro or any SSRI to feel any difference in the effect so taking an extra will not help you and you just won't feel it at all.

Sorry OP, but that's just not how either of these medications work. Sure, they might not take ~6 weeks to produce noticeable effect like is often claimed, but they are by no means an "acute" treatment for depression or anxiolysis. If you feel like you're not getting the relief that you need, I would consider adjusting your daily dosage of either medication though. Have you experienced positive benefit since beginning these two medications at the current dosage?