• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

IM injection technique and safety

simco

Bluelight Crew
Using the search engine, I found some info on this, but nothing quite aligned with my question. Apologies for the fresh post if I've missed answers given elsewhere.

Here's the situation...

I'm likely to be in a situation soon where I'll have the chance to do a shot of ketamine. I have a long history IV'ing drugs (was a heroin addict for years), but I've never given myself an IM injection, and it seems like IM is the most popular ROA for ket. If this comes to be, the ketamine will be in a sealed, medical ampule, fwiw.

I would be very interested to hear general thoughts about performing an IM shot as safely as possible--technique, good sites (I assume deltoid or buttocks?), things to avoid, etc. I'm also open to advice about other ROAs for ketamine, though there's already a lot of good info on BL regarding this.

Thanks!

I don't have experience with this either and moving this to Other Drugs so hopefully you will get some responses.

Using the search engine, I found some info on this, but nothing quite aligned with my question. Apologies for the fresh post if I've missed answers given elsewhere.

Here's the situation...

I'm likely to be in a situation soon where I'll have the chance to do a shot of ketamine. I have a long history IV'ing drugs (was a heroin addict for years), but I've never given myself an IM injection, and it seems like IM is the most popular ROA for ket. If this comes to be, the ketamine will be in a sealed, medical ampule, fwiw.

I would be very interested to hear general thoughts about performing an IM shot as safely as possible--technique, good sites (I assume deltoid or buttocks?), things to avoid, etc. I'm also open to advice about other ROAs for ketamine, though there's already a lot of good info on BL regarding this.

Thanks!

Go with the buttocks. The deltiod will be sore as shit after unless you are a big ole boy. The rest is just like playing doctor.
Draw it up clean the site and stick it in.
Easy on the plunger though...take your time pushing it in.
I always lie down and put a towel or such over my eyes and go for a ride...fun stuff man.

Hey man, ill tell you exactly what you have yo do, first of all, use the smallest needle possible, I use 23g for anabolic steroids which are very oily so maybe you can get by with 25g or smaller for ketamine, the smaller the needle, the less pain and tissue damage but it will take longer to inyect, first of all clean the inyection area with alcohol, then, inyect in a swift motion, I recommend deltoids, if blood doesnt rush into the needle then you didnt hit a vein and its safe to inyect, inyect at a steady pace, not to slow and not too fast, take the needle out carefully and clean the area again with alcohol.

Thanks for the details guys. I really appreciate it.

You probably already know this, but with small multi dose vials you might want to inject air = to the amount of ketamine you will be drawing out to prevent a vacuum from forming inside the m-d vial. Also if you run up a flight of stairs or do some lunges to get the blood pumping a bit before using it will increase the come up speed a little.

Hey, I prefer the deltoid muscle really, I did a bunch of k IM only and through the deltoid muscle I found it the easiest way. just clean the site with an alcohol swab before going to do the shot, then you can insert the needle quickly or my method was to do it slowly to avoid any pain, and after that push your ml's like (1-2-2,5ml depends on your dosage, really slooow) if you do it slowly like 1 ml in 8 seconds for sure you won't feel pain at all. my prefered rigs were the 5ml ones with 23 gauge needles, I find it the longer the needle and such the more you avoid shooting it subcutaneously which is a waste in my opinion. I can even send you a youtube link about deltoid IM injection, like it's to fingers distance from your shoulder, you cand find a bunch of stuff online on this matter. the buttlocks thingy is that you have to separate the buttlock in 4 regions because you got a nerve in the part which is located downside and if you hit it it can be painfull and you could do some damage idk how big damage. but I would go to the deltoid. and the soreness depends on how many times you shot but yeah you will have some soreness but it comes with any type of IM injection so don't worry it's not a big deal or a sign of something wrong.

Just to update...

I did the K yesterday. The shot seemed to go fine. I ended up doing it in the deltoid. Pushed it real slow and my arm isn't more than the tiniest bit sore today. So thanks for the great advice!