I'm clean, Stop asking for my prescription medication

jtkirk

Greenlighter
I have put a stop to the recreational use of my prescription medication. I'm on a healthy path now and unfortunately my hard working friends aren't. I talked to all my friends and told them that I wasn't a recreational user anymore and I was done

with the sharing and the parties. They were all happy and supportive for me and wished me the best. The weekend rolls around and I start getting phone calls and visits from them. What do they want you ask? They still want me to share my

prescription medication with them and i'm guessing they want the Dextroamphetamine. Well, that's what it was all Sat and Sun conversations about sharing with the group and my obligation to them. Told each and everyone of them I'd really have

to think about it

and get back to them. Since they think I owe them, I am obliged to tell them all to kiss my butt butt before I did that thought I would see what you guys thought. They are still my friends, we still do cookouts, goto kids games all sorts of stuff.

How do I tell them no and still keep

them as friends or can I because my medication will always be there tempting them? The hard part is these are more than just party friends. Our wives are fiends our kids are friends it would be hard to have to cut them lose but I would, just to say healthy.

It's our forum dedicated to the darker side of addiction/drug use. Dealing with depression, helping a family member, losing friends, etc.

Honestly, I'd talk to your friends about this if you haven't, if they can't understand your position, then they aren't really your friends. Cutting out friends is hard to do, but sometimes it must be done. I know I cut out a lot of good friends (brothers really) when I got clean, simply because they were never going to get clean, and I couldn't have that in my life.

Whatever you decide, we're here to help you through it man.

Just tell them you flushed em all and dont have any if you continue to take it theraputically dont discuss them your medications and just deny taking them because its none of their business.

Honestly you sound like a nice guy who is a total push over and manipulated. You can deny taking dexamphetamine or whatever. You dont have to tell them anything.

If they respect your decision to clean your life up they should respect you when you say you aren't going to hand out your meds. Just tell them that you don't want to give them away anymore, if they protest be adamant but not a dick. If they start bitching to you or keep asking then tell them to fuck off, if they really are your friends they will respect your decision.

Hey there, The Dark Side is our forum dedicated to support for troubles in life, from drugs or otherwise. You'll get the best responses here. :)

I agree that you should talk to your friends about this and be very frank. Tell them that for your recovery it's important that you do not have them coming around and trying to get pills from you, or exposing you to that kind of thing at all. If they still prioritize trying to get drugs from you after that, they are not capable of being real friends at this point and you should distance yourself. But give them a chance first, it sounds like they may not know how you feel. I mean they should know, trying to manipulate a friend into something they've refused is a shitty thing to do, but people will get shitty for drugs sometimes. But it may change some of their behavior if they know how serious it is for you.

I agree that it's best to just pretend you don't even have them.....white lie for a greater good. Good luck and congrats!

This is an extremely common and yet sad problem for those of us who are in chronic pain and get medicine every month.

Our family and close friends know that we get medicine and we can't say that we don't have any because they know better.

For me it's become such a battle that oftentimes I don't want to answer my phone or be around certain people because no matter how low I am on medicine they will ask for some and if I don't give them any then they plead, then they get mad. I don't owe anybody my medicine and it's the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with.

I have to keep my medicine in a lock bag because if I get up and go to the bathroom virtually all of my close friends and family will just help themselves to my medicine. I would never touch anything in someone's house, much less something so important.

I have one particular family member who literally wants 15 or 20 pills a week of various types of my medicine. I've told the person that I can no longer give them anything and leave me alone and yet last night when they knew that I was low or out of some mess this month because of all the people who asked for my medicine they asked for some! Its ridiculous that I never take extra medicine and yet this month I'm out of 2 meds.

No doubt I'll be slammed with pleas around Monday but i'm done. They took all my medicine and didn't care, then tried to get some of the medicine they hadn't gotten all of yet. Ugh

I believe that a good percentage of chronic pain patients who have been on medication for years have the same problem and we tell people no and they say they are in pain and no one will help them and I'm being stingy.

I'm about to piss off some family and I don't care. How dare they ignore the fact that it took me more than 18 years, 9 rounds of physical therapy (27 months), many different doctors, 2 pain clinics, MRIs, xrays, nerve ablations, EMGs, epidurals plus my doctor is expensive and my medication costs a lot every month. But noooo, just give them 2 or 3 pills several times a week.

I've never run out of medicine and it took this to happen to finally piss me off enough to say I'm not doing it anymore.

When he knew I was out and asked for the only narcotic I had left I decided this was done. It'll take me months to put back enough so that if something happens I'm okay. No more. They can find their own doctors and go through everything I've gone through. ???

Wow, I'm so sorry that the people in your life are so callous towards you. :( You don't deserve that. Don't worry about "pissing them off", their behavior is deplorable and they should be ashamed of themselves, and if they're angry it's their own fault. You definitely need to firmly establish that you need all of that medication to live your life, and that there will be no more handouts. And if they can't deal with that, fuck 'em.

Well OP , I guess I'm the only one who says just give it to them. If your clean you don't need em anyway. I mean , that's just what I would do and then I'd tell them I got cut off for some reason ,Or that you told the doctor you don't want them anymore. So it would be like a one last time thing. Maybe make some cash in the process, everyone else seems too.

I believe the OP still uses his prescriptions as prescribed.

Thanks Xorkoth. I'm as mad with myself as I am with them. I keep saying No but several of them will not back down and after an hour of hearing how much they hurt and why I owe them I give them some to make them go away.

This past month they took too much from me and ran me out of 2 prescriptions so now they want anything I have left.

These are very close family members and I couldn't say No until I realized they simply didn't care if I run out, as long as they get something.

They are addicts and will do anything to get medicine and it's been hard for me to accept that because of who they are.

I've done a lot of soul-searching in the last 6 weeks and I've just decided that I'm through with this game and if these family members want to disappear from my life then so be it. They know I need the medicine and they don't care.

^oh.... sorry I misunderstood. well then yes ,I agree, if talking to them doesn't work , I'd tell them to kiss off and break contact temporarily , doesn't have to be forever .I'm sure everyone will get over it eventually and come to their senses .

Sorry you're having to go through all this but you really need to stand your ground! Instead of giving them some pills to make them go away. Just skip the first step and make them go away, period, end of discussion! They're obviously taking total advantage of you and it sounds like they could care less whether you're in pain or not. Please rid yourself of these rodents!!

Thanks Beachbum! I'm not the OP but I'm dealing with the same problem.
I laughed out loud at the comment about skipping the first step and just make them go away! It has taken me over 2 years to get to this point but I now realize that they honestly don't care about my pain. They take so much that I run out of certain meds and instead of apologizing they want anything I have left.

I agree that they will get over it in a few months, but I also know they will keep asking forever so I'm moving in a few months and they won't have access to me anymore. That will end it.

I see really good answers here. I agree that sometimes keeping the friends that were your party friends is not going to be good for your sobriety at all. However I take Adderall and once in awhile I will give one or two to one of my friends. She only really wants them though if she hasn't slept or if there's some need like that so I don't mind that. However a few other friends found out I had them and one in particular is bugging and it is really pathetic. I usually just tell them that my husband has stolen them all and I don't have any to give LOL