• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I'm about to reenter treatment

Purposefull

Bluelighter
It's been awhile and I really enjoyed my clean time, but it's been over now for a few years so at some point soon I'll be seeking a new clinic.
All of my past treatment(s) have been with methadone and I was able to get completely clean for a few years until injuries and old age began to catch up with me. The real camel back breaker was about a month ago when working in the back yard clearing brush I inadvertently buried a nice sharp hatchet into my knee. I got it sewed up at the VA and was rewarded for my honesty by being refused any pain medication. Yeah, being honest about my past just doesn't pay off. When will I ever learn?
Anyway, I had to self medicate or just lay in agony for weeks on end waiting for the knee to heal. It still hurts quite a bit, but I need to get back down off of the pain medication and I'm not doing a great job of it.
I unfortunately have easy access to plenty of both hydrocodone and fentynol patches and yes, took full advantage of them both, but inside me I I know it's just not sustainable.
So now I need to find out the advantages/disadvantages of both methadone v suboxone. I've never been on subs and through the grapevine have heard it's even harder to ween from although I've never been through it so it's all just word of mouth.
I have been able to successfully ween from methadone, 150mcg daily down to zero over a few years (I think it was years although I'm not sure. That period in my life is a blur.)
Basically I just want some unbiased opinions on which is easier to taper off. I have little to no interest in staying in treatment for a long period of time. A year or less should be sufficient.
I do have a stable home life with a loving relationship which is far different from the days when I was on methadone before. Back then it was me vs every shitty situation I could think of living in a shed, hauling scrap metal for a living with a beat up old truck while being a caregiver for an elderly woman.
Now I have a very loving relationship in a real nice home on a lake and plenty of things to keep me busy working in my shop making furniture I give away to the furniture bank here locally along with being a caregiver for my elderly father and his wife. I don't have to go to work so I have time and a decent place to live and a modest income from social security.
My options appear to be either one of two or so local clinics or possibly the VA. I have no information about what is or isn't available through the VA. Has anyone experienced treatment via the Veterans Administration? How did it go?
Well, that's it for now. I need to clean up my shop and start building another chair. I just finished one and have one more to make and a matching table. I love working with wood. It keeps me out of trouble.

Interesting post, I just watched a YouTube video last night about 3 homeless veterans on skid row discussing how the VA doesn't do shit.
I wonder if I could post and show you listen to this guy's story it's sad to hear how our veterans are treated ... quite pathetic in my opinion but that's not the subject of this thread anyways check this out

https://youtu.be/ck0FrJy3zpY

You know, personally I don't really care if veterans are treated like the rest of the general population. It's my view that everyone should have the same access to health care regardless of social status, income status, veterans, non vets and so on. It's become like some special club you have to join to see a doctor when you need to. I just happen to be a veteran, but no, I didn't fight for your freedom. I made really shitty powdered eggs in boot camp..end story. That entitled me to go to the VA and it only took 35 years to find out that I even qualified. Before then I was completely on my own.