• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin I'm a minority - not my race.

Codyyyy

Greenlighter
Im a rare minority. Ive been doing heroin for around three years. Well, in the time I've been doing it, i have never been physically addicted. So my question is, why do most people find it so hard to use recreationally instead of every day? Its not very hard to do it only once or twice a week. I understand if you started with like pills and got addicted on accident, but besides that there is no reasonable excuse in my opinion. Thoughts please?

It's not very hard for you to do it once or twice a week. Clearly others have trouble doing this. It can be as simple as impulse control because someone experienced a feeling and the thought of that feeling compels that person to feel it over and over and over again. Sometimes they almost get close to how it felt the first few times but it's never the same. All addicts were occasional users until they weren't, something happens in their lives that puts them under enormous stress and suddenly that thing they really enjoy doing once or twice a week becomes something they really enjoy doing every day of the week.

Well done on holding it together Codyyyy, don't turn your back on that drug. Take care

Nobody thinks they will wind up addicted but look at all the people who are. Heroin may just not be your thing, maybe you would have more trouble keeping the use of other drugs in check.

Heroin addicts are not weak or flawed, addiction is just that big of a mindfuck. I'm glad you haven't gotten hooked though and keep it up! Just don't ever shoot it.

I looked at your location and lol'd. With the quality of heroin that you're getting from that part of the country, I would probably have a hard time getting off on it as well, and heroins my favorite drug. Heroin in the middle of the USA is absolute JUNK.

Come try some Jersey/ Philly smack.... totally different game.

I looked at your location and lol'd. With the quality of heroin that you're getting from that part of the country, I would probably have a hard time getting off on it as well, and heroins my favorite drug. Heroin in the middle of the USA is absolute JUNK.

Come try some Jersey/ Philly smack.... totally different game.

I get pretty good quality shit and I'm basically the same as OP. Been doing it for about 1.5 years and have never to this day been physically addicted to heroin.

So you basically made a post saying that there is no reasonable excuse for the 10,000 or so years opium addiction has plagued mankind? Like everyone should be as good as you...Gtfo...

Hey guys, I don't think OP meant to sound like an asshole. He just asked a question out of curiosity I'm assuming. Even if he is trying to be a dick, being a dick back won't solve anything.

I don't know, he did say "There is no reasonable excuse to be an opioid addict" not a direct quote obviously.....but to me that's like saying "There is no reasonable excuse to be born mentally retarded, because I wasn't born that way"

Oh my goodness lol, why does this keep coming up? OP--as far as the research shows, you aren't a minority. You're actually in the majority if you believe drugabuse.gov, which says that 23% of heroin users will become dependent at some point in their lives. That means 77% of heroin users will not become addicted. This is still a very high ratio (of users who do become addicted to users who don't) when compared with other drugs of potential abuse. But really, it's NOT all that difficult for a normal, healthy, well-adjusted person to keep their heroin use recreational. It took me quite a while to really develop a habit, and I was not a healthy, well-adjusted person. Back when I didn't use every day, I honestly couldn't imagine how people did, and I didn't think I would end up going down that road. But eventually, I did. Apparently, though, I'm in the minority, not you.

Everyone's different. Some people can keep their use recreational. Others can't... And maybe there are others who can, but don't. But there's no reason to judge anyone for it. All people have the potential to become addicted; it's foolish to think, "That could never happen to me."

Last edited:
"But for the grace of God go I" This is the phrase that comes to mind.

this is so true.

I got hooked because of abuse at home, and trying to self medicate metal illness. Every person is different man. For me, it gave me warm comfort that was sorely lacking in an abusive household. It made my anxiety so much less. It was a magic medicine for a while. Then it turns on you.

Feel lucky OP...but you hang around the barbershop long enough your going to get a haircut,

this is so true.

I got hooked because of abuse at home, and trying to self medicate metal illness. Every person is different man. For me, it gave me warm comfort that was sorely lacking in an abusive household. It made my anxiety so much less. It was a magic medicine for a while. Then it turns on you.

Feel lucky OP...but you hang around the barbershop long enough your going to get a haircut,

+10

Unless you REALLY don't give a damn about anything, don't do heroin anymore. Sure, you may be able to control your usage for now but if something stressful comes up in your life.. Be prepared to get fucked by the dope demon.

"If you hang around the barbershop long enough you're going to get a haircut" LOL that's a new one for me

Definitely didnt mean to sound like a dick. My bad :|. And as far as something stressful i originally started cause both my parents passed away.

Definitely didnt mean to sound like a dick. My bad :|. And as far as something stressful i originally started cause both my parents passed away.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose both my parents. :/

And I'm sorry if you felt attacked in this thread... It's so easy to misinterpret a person's tone online.

I do think you should be careful, even though you've gone for so long without becoming physically dependent. If you're using in order to cope with emotional pain, then I wouldn't necessarily put your use in the "recreational" category; it may lie somewhere between recreational and addictive. Or you may be truly addicted already--I can't say without knowing you or your situation. A person can have a psychological addiction without being physically dependent on a drug. Even when I was not using daily, I was still an addict because my entire life, and all my thoughts, revolved around heroin.

Just be cautious, and stay safe. :)

These threads come up from time to time and it does not make you special or a minority in any fashion. We are all capable of what you did the only difference is you actually did it. I do the same exact thing with cigarettes and have for 12 years. My daily cigarette intake is between 0-5 on average, the most i ever smoked was about 15 a day when i was on heroin but even then i didnt get "addicted" as i am back to about 0-3 on average a day.

This doesnt make me special or a minority it is just the way i have always viewed cigarettes. They are a highly addictive and minimal effect kind of drug so i always limited myself very strictly however, that is why it was kept in this fashion. No one i have met has been able to do this but i would never assume i am free of addiction to them and it is only my hyper-vigilance that keeps it in check. You managed to do it with opiates some do it with alcohol others with cocaine but we are not addiction proof we are just stable in what we do. It only takes one terrible situation and you suddenly connecting it to feeling good and its all over.

Good luck.

To be fair the only ones you usually hear from are the addicts who have become physically dependant. The majority of recreational users are happy to dabble and keep their other problems to themselves.

Thanks for rubbing it in arse hat.

What do you want an award for using heroin regularly without doing it all the time? Congratulations, that's just awesome I'm proud of you. This thread is completely pointless by the way.