• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Illinois Traffic Stop Raises Concerns About Drug Searches, Police Dogs, Bad Cops

Bluelight Crew
full: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...rched-illinois_n_1364087.html?ref=mostpopular

Last December, filmmaker Terrance Huff and his friend Jon Seaton were returning to Ohio after attending a "Star Trek" convention in St. Louis. As they passed through a small town in Illinois, a police officer, Michael Reichert, pulled Huff's red PT Cruiser over to the side of the road, allegedly for an unsafe lane change. Over the next hour, Reichert interrogated the two men, employing a variety of police tactics civil rights attorneys say were aimed at tricking them into giving up their Fourth Amendment rights. Reichert conducted a sweep of Huff's car with a K-9 dog, then searched Huff's car by hand. Ultimately, he sent Huff and Seaton on their way with a warning.

Earlier this month, Huff posted to YouTube audio and video footage of the stop taken from Reichert's dashboard camera. No shots were fired in the incident. No one was beaten, arrested or even handcuffed. Reichert found no measurable amount of contraband in Huff's car. But Huff's 17-and-a-half minute video raises important questions about law enforcement and the criminal justice system, including the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, the drug war, profiling and why it's so difficult to take problematic cops out of the police force.

THE STOP

The stop itself happened Dec. 4 on Interstate 70 in Collinsville, a town of 26,000 people just outside of St. Louis. Law enforcement officials say this stretch of highway is a drug-trafficking corridor. The account that follows is based on Huff’s video, the unedited dashboard footage from Reichert's vehicle and a Huffington Post interview with Huff.

After pulling Huff over, Reichert approaches Huff's car and asks him for his license, registration and proof of insurance. Huff complies. Reichert then asks Huff to step out of the car, because he says he can't hear him over the noise from the highway. Huff complies. Before talking to Huff, Reichert asks Seaton for ID as well, which Seaton isn't obligated to produce, but does.

Reichert then tells Huff he pulled him over for weaving across lanes. Huff says in his video that this is a fabrication. But he didn't challenge Reichert's claim at the time because, "I was from out of state, and I didn't want any trouble."

After running a check on Huff's license, Reichert tells Huff he'll let him off with a warning, and the two men shake hands. Legally, Huff is now free to go. But just as Huff is set to get back into his car, Reichert says, "Let me ask you a question real quick." Huff agrees.

It's here that Reichert adds, seemingly as an afterthought, that Seaton appeared nervous and apprehensive. He then asks Huff a series of what law enforcement officers call "rolling no" questions about whether Huff is transporting any drugs, weapons or cash. Huff says "no" to each.

In his interview with HuffPost, Huff asks, "If he thought Jon was nervous, and that might indicate drug activity, why did he wait so long to bring it up? And why did he wait until he had basically told me I could go?"

"It's a common tactic," says John Rekowski, the public defender for Madison County, where the stop took place. "[Officer Reichert] thinks he's doing something legally significant there. He thinks he's establishing that everything that happens after the handshake is consensual, because after that, Huff was technically free to go. But of course he isn't free to go."

If Huff had ignored Reichert's "Let me ask you a question real quick," gotten into his car and driven off, Rekowski says, there's no way Reichert would have let him leave. "And in Illinois, the definition of a detainment is that you aren't free to leave."

Collinsville Police Chief Scott Williams, who has seen the dash cam video, tells HuffPost "I don't have any reason to doubt the integrity of any of our officers. But we'll do our due diligence and look into that. If we find that any of our officers is taking shortcuts or violating someone's civil rights, that officer will be fired."

HuffPost was unable to reach Reichert for comment.

During the questioning, Reichert tries several times to get Huff to admit to having marijuana in his car, even if only a small amount for personal use. Huff says he has none. "I would just like to go on my way if I could," he tells Reichert. Reichert says that he's going to bring his K-9 out of the car to do an outside sweep.

Reichert pats down both Huff and Seaton and takes the dog around the car twice. He tells Huff that on the second trip, the dog has "alerted" to the presence of drugs, but did so at the front of the car, out of the view of Reichert's dashboard camera. He explains that because the front of the car is downwind, the drug scent would most likely register with the dog at the front of the car.

The dog's alert gives Reichert probable cause for a thorough hand search of Huff's car, as well as Huff and Seaton's luggage and personal belongings.

Reichert finds no drugs. He does claim to find "shake" -- marijuana residue -- beneath the seats of Huff's car. That, Reichert says, must have been why the dog alerted. Reichert never collected any of the alleged shake for testing, however, and Huff says now it's nonsense. After an hour of questioning and searching by Reichert, Huff and Seaton leave Collinsville with only a warning for an unsafe lane change.

full http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...rched-illinois_n_1364087.html?ref=mostpopular

This is actually a great article. Best I've read in a while.

Reagan writes that Reichert is so confident in his ability to observe body language to detect deceit, he appears to be a "human polygraph." Reichert taught a class on how to conduct roadside searches, which Reagan wrote could easily have been titled, "How to avoid the warrant requirement in searching a vehicle."

Reagan's opinion, along with the fact that Reichert was also convicted on federal charges of selling knockoff designer sunglasses, led to Reichert's dismissal from the Collinsville Police Department in 2006. But with the help of the police union, Reichert sued to get his job back.
knockoff designer sunglasses -.-
concerns have been raised at police and sheriff departments across the country, including in King County, Wash.; Maywood, Calif.; Gary, Ind.; Cincinnati, Covington, Texas, Aurora, Colo., San Diego; Spokane, Wash., Louisville, Ken.; Milwaukee; and the entire state of Florida.
entire state of florida -.-

I'm very pleased with the attention this issue is getting. I've long argued that one of the main reasons drugs (especially marijuana) stubbornly remain illegal is because they're a cash cow for police departments and other criminal justice workers, and these folks have mighty unions.

Has Amnesty International dinged the US for abuses of property forfeiture by police yet?

I don't know why you would live in a state where you really don't have the right to possess marijuana.

Just saying.

I got "detained" for 80 minutes when I was pulled over by a K9 handler sheriff deputy on the highway. Absolutely no reason at all, allegedly I was "going a little too fast" and the deputy never actually clocked me with radar and I was driving the speed limit. He asked to search and I refused so he made his German shepherd scratch the car to give him a "warrant" and then after 80 minutes standing in knee high grass in 100 degree weather holding my dog-aggressive pit mix I got from the pound while it barked/jumped/pulled at his dog the whole time. Very unpleasant situation but after finding absolutely nada not even a seed he let me go.

K9's have to be the biggest joke. They sometimes find drugs but notoriously take cues from their handler. Why the hell should a well trained animal that can't testify in court legally obtain probable cause for a search. Such BS

Edit: just did a Google search on the bastard and found a news story about him and other deputies pulling people over randomly like they did me. I quote but change the officer's name LOL.

X said with the increasing sophistication of cloned vehicles on the road, deputies now pull over as many vehicles as they can for the most minor of traffic violations, then rely on experienced intuition to determine if something with a driver is amiss.
In other words he profiles to make a random stop and asks them to search and if they refuse he assumes with his "experienced intuition" "something is amiss" LOL fucking retarded racist redneck prick :X

These K9 cops they hire are scumbags who do not view you as an individual with rights. K9 handlers just want to get inside your car and nail you. I didn't have residue or shake I saw the prick coax the dog to scratch my car. I reported it to his supervisors and filed multiple complaints and talked to lawyers... The pig is obviously still at his old tricks and no lawyer will take the case LOL. The sheriff's dept wouldn't even release the video I demanded and eventually "lost" it.

I love dogs but fuck K9 units lol

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with the attention this issue is getting. I've long argued that one of the main reasons drugs (especially marijuana) stubbornly remain illegal is because they're a cash cow for police departments and other criminal justice workers, and these folks have mighty unions.

They're not only a cash cow for police; they are the police's raison d'etre. People call me crazy when I say that like 80% of cops could be laid off if drugs were legalized, but it'd be hard to justify keeping entire armies on municipal payrolls if the principal laws they enforced disappeared.

The police unions also control the outcome of every local election in the US.

Season 4 of one of my favorite shows--The Shield--is devoted to property seizures. Except, these are uncritically portrayed as a good thing (even on a show that has no misgivings about bashing cops). Generally, the entertainment industry has a love affair with police, and this reifies and perpetuates the myth of cops as benevolent demigods, when they are mostly just fat bullies. It's somewhat nauseating.

Hold on, something's not right here. My intuition is telling me something's amiss here.

I see someone who isn't white. How many pounds of coke are you smuggling?!

:| 8(

I'm just glad to not live in Texas either.

illinois cops stopped me and my buddys when we were heading down to a festival in central illinois when the cops stopped us and immediately brought out the dogs the. my buddy had a quarter in his pocket but when the dog made his rounds around the car he didnt smell anything. the cops knew we had shit in the car but there was nothing they can do about it.

^You guys are lucky the cops didn't make the dog "alert". They are very smart dogs that are bonded to their handlers and are easily trained to "alert" even without actually smelling anything. The way the cop was searching me even though his dog couldn't locate the non-existent drugs showed me the dog was more-or-less a tool to gain an unlawful warrant to search. He didn't give up, checking under the hood, underneath the car, spare tire. Even took apart some door panels and shit lol. He was totally convinced I had hidden drugs his dog couldn't find. I had nothing in the car. It was my parents' car and they don't use any illicit substances at all, and I had not been using any either prior to driving. It was completely bogus. There was no "odor" of narcotics. Fucking pig just coaxed or commanded the dog into scratching my car so he could search it for an hour and 20 minutes.

They dogs dont even need to alert , the cop word that the dog alerted is all they say they need..... I trust a dog more than a cop