Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Illicit drugs: How we can stop killing and criminalising young Australians

Divine Moments

Bluelight Crew
Some of you may recall that Australia 21 released a report a few months ago called "The prohibition of illicit drugs is killing and criminalising our children and we are all letting it happen."

They have today released a second report titled Alternatives to Prohibition: Illicit drugs: How we can stop killing and criminalising young Australians. The Report focuses on what Australia can learn from the experiences of three countries (Portugal, Switzerland and the Netherlands) which have liberalised their drug regimes in some way, and one country (Sweden) which has followed a strict law enforcement policy.

Here is a news article about it:

Legalise cannabis, ecstasy to curb addiction: report

A national report into illicit drugs has recommended decriminalising ecstasy and cannabis under a government-controlled program to help curb addiction.

It comes as Australian Federal Police reveal there has been a massive increase in the amount of illegal drugs and criminal assets seized in the past year.

The 52-page report on alternatives to prohibition was released in Adelaide today.

One of the report's proposals is to establish a government supplier for cannabis and ecstasy.

The drugs would be available to people over 16, who would then be supported by counselling and treatment programs.

The report also recommends similar programs for heroin and cannabis use.

Co-author Professor Bob Douglas says it is clear prohibition is not working, and Australia needs to have a serious debate about legalising controlled drug use.

"It's been a political benefit for people to pretend they're tough on drugs, but lots of politicians in Australia recognise now that this has to be changed," he said.

Professor Douglas says similar programs are being used in Europe with proven positive results.

He says criminal gangs have a monopoly on the black market, but a government regulated drug program could help to safely curb usage.

"Government just stands by and says 'well we'll criminalise the people who use drugs and we'll try and catch the people who are distributing them', but they're not doing very well," he said.

"The report makes clear despite the good work that Australian police are doing, they're not making a serious mark on the markets."

Record busts

Meanwhile the AFP says it seized almost 14 tonnes of drugs and ingredients in 2011-12.

The figure is a 164 per cent jump on the five tonnes seized the previous year, and more than 11 times the amount seized the year before that.

It is partly as a result of more information and resource sharing with overseas law enforcement agencies.

Almost 12 tonnes of chemicals used to make drugs were seized, up 263 per cent.

More amphetamines and cocaine were found, but seizures of heroin and cannabis fell.

In the past financial year, the AFP confiscated nearly $100 million in criminal assets, more than double the $41 million confiscated the previous year.

:)

great idea but i don't hold out much hope with our current crop of political leaders (govt and opposition).
if the people were to vocally get behind a proposal like this - in big numbers - then things could be different. but i feel that people are too manipulated and scared by the 'drug menace' to openly agree with something like this - too much stigma. the opposing viewpoint is much easier to fit into a 5 second tv sound byte.
i totally agree with the arguments behind this report, but i'm not holding my breath in waiting for it to be implemented.

Agreed it probably wont happen in the near future - but it's still another step in the right direction. Slowly, slowly I think we're getting there.

I'm surprised at the age they recommend though:

The drugs would be available to people over 16, who would then be supported by counselling and treatment programs.

16 seems young, especially given alcohol is over 18. Perhaps they're thinking that making it any higher will increase the black market for people underage.
One of my biggest regrets is starting regular mdma use at 16, as well as other drugs, I think it was too young and although it's hard to know, I do feel like it had a detrimental effect on me. But then again, that's not reason I would've listened to then!

great idea but i don't hold out much hope with our current crop of political leaders (govt and opposition).
if the people were to vocally get behind a proposal like this - in big numbers - then things could be different. but i feel that people are too manipulated and scared by the 'drug menace' to openly agree with something like this - too much stigma. the opposing viewpoint is much easier to fit into a 5 second tv sound byte.
i totally agree with the arguments behind this report, but i'm not holding my breath in waiting for it to be implemented.

I don't know man. I think if people started a movement for something a bit more focused and achievable short term, then there would be alot of public support. Ie. medical marijuana or decrim/legalised marijuana. Plenty of people agree with that.

Maybe if people made a decent effort to protest about it, and have a smoke out in the city (ie. mardi grass style), there might be a bit more positive public attention and a push. I don't know, i guess people have tried plenty of times before, and due to the illegality of the activities and the fact people could be spotted by employers, might make supporters weary of turning up.

16 seems young, especially given alcohol is over 18. Perhaps they're thinking that making it any higher will increase the black market for people underage.
One of my biggest regrets is starting regular mdma use at 16, as well as other drugs, I think it was too young and although it's hard to know, I do feel like it had a detrimental effect on me. But then again, that's not reason I would've listened to then!

Got to agree with this, 16 is way too young for MDMA. I personally think even 18 is. Your brain is still developing and I feel that using heavily during this period would greatly increase the risk of mental illness and cognitive deficits.

Hard to say for you personally, were you taking alot of MDMA or just sporadically? I used alot in my early 20s and I think that it greatly contributed to a bout of depression and anxiety that lasted over a year. Even though my life at the moment is way more uncertain and stressful, I feel I deal with things way better because I have only touched MDMA like three times in the last 8 months. Doing it now seems to lead to really bad comedowns where I don't leave my room for like two days. I think if used rarely and responsibly then it is a pretty safe substance, but when abused it can contribute to some pretty bad emotional problems.

I don't know man. I think if people started a movement for something a bit more focused and achievable short term, then there would be alot of public support. Ie. medical marijuana or decrim/legalised marijuana. Plenty of people agree with that.

Maybe if people made a decent effort to protest about it, and have a smoke out in the city (ie. mardi grass style), there might be a bit more positive public attention and a push. I don't know, i guess people have tried plenty of times before, and due to the illegality of the activities and the fact people could be spotted by employers, might make supporters weary of turning up.

yeah, i think it's a pretty pervasive throughout society. i've met plenty of people who take drugs (weed, e, meth etc) who don't think they should be legalised. i'm glad intelligent people are making informed (and highly logical) reports advising government to liberalise drug policy. i really am. but how would it work? would the government licence people to make clean, dose-constistent 'ecstasy' (MDMA i would assume) or are 'pills' to be given free reign in terms of blackmarket supply?
i hate being the naysayer on this - the negative bastard that says it won't happen in our lifetime, or at least not for decades - but the troglodytes that run this country, the swine that run the media and the disinterested-in-politics general public that vote for these people are unlikely to take it seriously. the most vocal critics of our current prime minister seem to be the sort of people most swayed by non-scientific arguments (if not rejecting it outright because some shock-jock told them too.
those kinda people - and it seems like there are a lot of them around - seem to froth at the mouth at the very mention of drugs.
perhaps when the ageing population stops ageing, living - and voting - we'll have a population that is not so brainwashed by decades of prohibition to actually support a rethink on this stuff, but the way things are, it just seems like an insurmountable challenge for those of us that know something is wrong, and we need to change. who knows?

there are too many disturbing things about australian politics at the moment, that i could never envision one of the major parties even entertain the idea. prove me wrong, kids!
i think to those that think ms gillard is bad - wait until you see what the liberals think of drugs and drug users. draconian to say the absolute least.

Last edited:
I used way too heavily, every Friday and Saturday night from the ages of 16 to 19. There were only two weeks in that whole period where I didn't use mdma on the weekend. In hindsight it was so ridiculously dumb, I just found it so hard to avoid, especially as I never lost the 'magic'. Similarly to you though, I think that was a primary trigger in a really bad episode of anxiety I got at 19, it was such a bad time, I was very suicidal for 6 months, and for a lot of the time I didn't think I'd get through it.

It seems experiences like that are reasonably common with mdma abuse. Since then I don't use it much at all, and I do credit that period with helping me really face and address some problems, but still...it was a tortuous experience, and I could see that if the winds had blown slightly differently I would've offed myself. It was the worst period in my life, and I'd hate for anyone else to have to go through it. It'd be hard to believe that it didn't cause some fairly significant changes in my brain, whether that's actually translated to a negative impact in functioning I'm not sure, though I do feel pretty dumb at times. Maybe that's natural though :p

i find MDMA to be a really gruelling drug in the days following. i haven't touched it in years - the 3(?) year drought in this country didn't affect me at all. it might be 'safe' (in terms of the proportion of fatal ODs and complications) but it joined the ranks of alcohol for me once i grew up enough to recognise the way it effected me - the aftermath wasn't worth the high.
i'm all for legalising cannabis, and i even think that some unconventional drugs could be worth liberalising - such as growing poppies or using psychedelics such as psilocybe mushrooms or LSD. (obviously this is highly prejudiced by my own taste in drugs and the way i lead a constructive life despite using them).
it's a damn shame that psychedelics and opiates are so frowned upon - because i don't think MDMA is as harmless as people make it out to be. as for what passes for "ecstasy" nowadays? hmm.

Last edited:
Legal use of cannabis, ecstasy for over-15s backed by state medical body

A REPORT by a group of prominent Australians that recommends Australia rethink its criminalisation of illicit drugs has been backed by the Victorian branch of the Australian Medical Association.

The report recommended that cannabis and ecstasy be decriminalised for people aged 16 and older, who are willing to be recorded on a national confidential user's register. Users would be able to purchase drugs from an approved supplier, likely a chemist.

The report, prepared by the not-for-profit think tank Australia21, said prohibition had failed, leaving the manufacture and supply of illicit drugs in the hands of ''criminal elements'' and without proper safeguards and quality control.

The Victorian AMA president, Stephen Parnis, said drugs policy should be based on evidence. ''We cannot allow prejudice to drive drugs policy in this country,'' he said. ''It is really important that we keep looking at the evidence on this issue and don't allow ourselves to become closed-minded about the best way to deal with drug problems in our society.''

The report proposes that cannabis could be controlled with taxation, with growers and sellers subject to ''hard-to-get but easy-to-lose licences'' for cultivation, and wholesale and retail supply.

Cannabis packets would be required to be plain and have warning labels similar to cigarette packets, and people buying cannabis would be forced to show age identification.

A former Australian Federal Police commissioner, Mick Palmer, said criminalisation was failing to deter drug users.

''On any objective assessment, policing of the illicit drug market has had only marginal impact on the profitability of the drug trade or the availability of illicit drugs'' he said.

''Whilst controlling and reducing drug-related criminal trafficking and related offences must remain an important part of any strategy, it should be complementary to the primary aim of providing health and social care and support for drug addicts and users. This should not be construed, however, as suggesting that any message that is given is not strongly negative to drug use."

The report called on the government to consider international examples such as Portugal and Switzerland, which have used decriminalisation in combination with law enforcement measures. All the international examples produced positive health benefits to users without increasing the rate of drug use. It also called for a national drug summit to be held next year - a broad group of stakeholders including parliamentarians.

The Greens senator Richard Di Natale, who contributed to the report, said it offered politicians a chance to discuss drugs policy without fear of political repercussions. ''I have lost count of the number of politicians who privately say to me, 'we're on the wrong track' but stay silent publicly,'' he said.

http://www.bluemountainsgazette.com...y-state-medical-body/2658787.aspx?storypage=0

License growers, sellers of cannabis: report

A REPORT has recommended the decriminalisation of cannabis and ecstasy in some circumstances, and the Victorian branch of the Australian Medical Association agrees a new approach is needed.

The report, by a group of prominent Australians including University of Melbourne's former dean of medicine David Penington, recommends that cannabis and ecstasy be decriminalised for people aged 16 and older who are willing to be recorded on a national confidential users' register.

Users would be able to buy drugs from an approved supplier, most likely a chemist.

The report, prepared by non-profit group Australia21, said prohibition had failed, leaving the manufacture and supply of illicit drugs in the hands of ''criminal elements'' and without proper safeguards and quality control.

Victorian AMA president Stephen Parnis said drugs policy should be based on evidence.

''We cannot allow prejudice to drive drugs policy in this country,'' he said. ''It is really important that we keep looking at the evidence on this issue and don't allow ourselves to become closed-minded about the best way to deal with drug problems in our society.''

One proposal in the report is that cannabis be controlled with taxation, with growers and sellers subject to ''hard-to-get but easy-to-lose'' licences for cultivation and wholesale and retail supply.

Cannabis packets would be required to be plain and have warning labels similar to cigarette packets, and people buying cannabis would be forced to show identification that proved their age.

Former Australian Federal Police commissioner Mick Palmer said criminalisation was failing to deter drug users.
''On any objective assessment, policing of the illicit drug market has had only marginal impact on the profitability of the drug trade or the availability of illicit drugs'' Mr Palmer said.

''Whilst controlling and reducing drug-related criminal trafficking and related offences must remain an important part of any strategy, it should be complementary to the primary aim of providing health and social care and support for drug addicts and users. This should not be construed, however, as suggesting that any message that is given is not strongly negative to drug use.''

The report calls on the government to consider international examples such as Portugal and Switzerland, which have used decriminalisation in combination with law enforcement measures. All the international examples produced positive health benefits to users without increasing the rate of drug use.

It also calls for a national drug summit to be held next year, including a broad group of stakeholders, including parliamentarians from all sections of the political spectrum.

Greens Senator Richard Di Natale, who contributed to the report, said the report offered politicians a chance to discuss drugs policy without fear of political repercussions.

''I have lost count of the number of politicians who privately say to me, 'we're on the wrong track', but stay silent publicly,'' he said.

''What we need to be doing is starting to treat this issue as a health issue, rather than a law enforcement issue.''

The Victorian Alcohol and Drug Association and state and federal governments had demonstrated ''a stubborn resistance'' to discussing the benefits of reforming drugs policies.
With AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/license-growers-sellers-of-cannabis-report-20120909-25meh.html

'Drug prohibition a colossal failure', say experts calling for regulated cannabis use

REGULATING cannabis use could be the way forward because of the "colossal failure" of the war on drugs, a report says.

The report suggests the establishment of hard-to-get, easy-to-lose licences for the cultivation, wholesale and retail supply of cannabis, including for medicinal use.

Plain packets of the drug would feature warning labels with all advertising and political donations from cannabis companies banned.

The Australia 21 Alternatives to Prohibition report, released today, is the result of a round table in July of 22 experts and young people, canvassing new approaches to drug policy.

Among the report's authors is the University of Melbourne's former dean of medicine David Penington, who has proposed decriminalisation for possession and use of cannabis and ecstasy for people 16 and over.

Users would be recorded on a national register and could purchase cannabis from an approved government supplier in regulated amounts.

"There would be full cost recovery of production and distribution, including a dispensing fee, in the price to clients," Professor Penington said in the report.

"Counselling and treatment should be available to any dependent users as a health service, akin to that provided by society to other individuals with serious afflictions."

Australia 21 director Alex Wodak, another of the report's authors, said that under the proposal cannabis, instead of being controlled by criminal and corrupt police, would be regulated.

"I don't use the term 'legalisation' because no two people agree what the term means," Dr Wodak said today.

"It would be legal like alcohol and tobacco."

The system would allow government to have a say in how the market operates and get help to users, Dr Wodak said.

"We would be able to put warning labels on the packets," he said.

"We'd be able to provide information to consumers about what they're buying. It's basically a system that can be controlled and regulated."

Dr Wodak predicts the push will generate controversy but says prohibition has not worked.

"Most people accept the view drug prohibition has been a colossal failure," he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...use-report-urges/story-fndo1sx1-1226468417047

Drug prohibition: moving to Plan B

AUTHOR

Alex Wodak
Director, Alcohol and Drug Service, St Vincent's Hospital at St Vincent's Hospital, Darlinghurst
DISCLOSURE STATEMENT

Alex Wodak is one of the directors of Australia21. He does not work for, consult to, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has no relevant affiliations.

The Conversation provides independent analysis and commentary from academics and researchers.

We are funded by CSIRO, Melbourne, Monash, RMIT, UTS, UWA, Canberra, CDU, Deakin, Flinders, Griffith, La Trobe, Murdoch, QUT, Swinburne, UniSA, UTAS, UWS and VU.

ARTICLES BY THIS AUTHOR

16 August 2012
Conviction politics: needle exchange established in ACT prison
27 July 2012
Male circumcision policy ignores research showing benefits
19 June 2012
A snapshot of methadone and buprenorphine treatment in Australia
1 May 2012
Time for Plan B in the war on drugs
3 April 2012
The War on Drugs has failed – now what?

It’s difficult to explain why up to three million Australians are better off purchasing cannabis from criminals rather than regulated sources. Chuck Grimmett
Australia21, of which I am one of the directors, released its second report on drug prohibition on this morning. The report calls for a redefinition of how we deal with drugs to primarily a health and social problem.

Our first drug report, released in April, concluded that the war-on-drugs approach had failed comprehensively. It provoked a vigorous media response in which few commentators challenged the notion that heavy reliance on drug law enforcement had failed.

We invited prominent Australians who support a hardline approach to attend a meeting but all those approached declined. When someone of the stature of Mick Palmer, former commissioner of the Australian Federal Police, acknowledges that despite improvements in drug law enforcement, there has been little impact on the drug market, the debate has entered a new stage.

This second report builds on the conclusions of the first one, attempting to provoke a national discussion about what our best options might be. There are several reasons why this discussion is now different from previous debates about drug policy.

Winds of change in the Americas

Vigorous debates about drug policy are now taking place in Europe and the Americas. The murder of 50,000 Mexicans since President Felipe Calderon declared a war on drugs in December 2006 has brought that country to a precipice. Two previous Mexican presidents have called for legalisation and the current one has called for use of “market mechanisms” – presumably a euphemism for legalisation.

Latin America is being torn apart by pressure from the United States to stop drugs heading north to the biggest drug market in the world. President Barack Obama was forced to bow to pressure from Latin America in April and acknowledge (in an election year) that it was entirely appropriate to debate the legalisation of drugs, although he added this was something the United States would never do.

In a world-first, Uruguay’s president has sent a Bill to legalise cannabis to the legislature for consideration. At the Summit of the Americas in Cartegena, Colombia, earlier this year (14 to 15 April), the United States and Canada were isolated on drug policy. Latin America now wants change.

911 Bail Bonds Las Vegas
The politics of drugs also seems to be changing in the United States. Primaries for a Democratic Congressional district in El Paso, Texas and a contest for the Oregon attorney general were both won by younger candidates supporting drug law reform, defeating older incumbents who supported a war-on-drugs approach.

And, the 2011 annual Gallup poll in the United States, asking “do you support the legalisation of marijuana?” reported that supporters (50%) now outnumbered opponents (46%). In 1969, 12% supported while 84% opposed legalisation of marijuana. Medical marijuana is now available in 17 states (and the District of Colombia).

The situation in Europe

There are now more countries providing models for how reform can be implemented. The Netherlands, Switzerland and Portugal have shown that reforms can be carried out without breaching international drug treaties, and that an approach with more emphasis on health and social measures can produce better outcomes and achieve strong community support.

In contrast, Sweden is one of few European countries still heavily reliant on severe punishment and drug law enforcement. It claims a drug-free nation as the over-arching goal of its drug policy and rejects safer injecting facilities and heroin assisted treatment.

Sweden still only has the same two needle syringe programs that were established 25 years ago. And it has the eighth-highest drug overdose death rate in the European Union while the Netherlands has the 19th and Portugal the 25th. Overdose deaths have been increasing in Sweden, are stable in the Netherlands and falling in Portugal.

Still, the country seems to be slowly moving away from its hardline approach and gradually becoming more like other European Union countries. And it takes drug treatment seriously, as do all countries that have started reforming their drug policy.

Coinciding with a major expansion and improvement of drug treatment in Zurich, Switzerland, the estimated number of new heroin users declined from 850 in 1990 to 150 in 2002 with decreasing numbers of heroin overdose death, HIV infections and crime. The quantity of heroin seized by police also declined during this period suggesting a shift from the black market to the white market.

Time to make the move

Sooner or later, one side of politics in Australia will realise that drug law reform could be a vote-changing issue for young people. With the current and two previous presidents of the United States, and the current prime minister of Australia, and the current and previous leaders of the Opposition all known to have tried cannabis, it’s increasingly difficult to explain why two to three million Australians are better off purchasing cannabis from criminals, corrupt police or outlaw motorcycle gangs than obtaining the same drug from regulated sources.

Drug policy is a difficult issue for politicians. But the longer they delay reform, or even discussion of reform, the more difficult it’s going to get.

http://theconversation.edu.au/drug-prohibition-moving-to-plan-b-9328

Damn the AMA supporting this does give the report alot mre credibility and more likely to be listened to by people in power. though i do doubt that politicians will do anything but reject it.

On a point that you raised Space Junk: it actually wouldn't surprise me if Tony Abbott and other prominent members of parliament believed that prohibition doesn't work and would consider moving away from it if they weren't fearful of it being such a contentious issue. Now I don't like Tony Abbott (or Gillard much for that matter), but their personal views and their policies and public opinions probably often don't match up. Not that it makes the slightest fucking difference to us, as it is policy that matters but yeah, plenty of politicians used to use drugs (some even admit it, or might still use drugs). I mean its not that far a leap if they have are prepared to use union money to bang hookers, cruise around in government cars visiting brothels or picking up underaged kids, or sexually harrassing men, then progressive thinking on drugs doesn't seem that repugnent.

these could be the beginnings of the winds of change as mentioned in the article above me. I've spent a reasonable amount of time in America, and have a good friend who lives in Northern California, and a girlfriend who is from Alabama. About as polar opposite states in terms of the American social progressive and political spectrum. But through talking to young people there, many use marijuana in both places and other drugs. Many in both places support legalised marijuana. hell even my girlfriend's family are quite progressive when it comes to drugs, and they were born and raised in Alabama. Now I personally believe that Australia is alot more of a liberal country in many ways than the US, and this also comes down to young people's embracement of drugs. through travel I know many young Australians are alot more hedonisitic with their drugs, and harder drugs than many Americans. i think medical marijuana can happen in the US, it can certainly happen here.

Australia's pointless and deadly drugs crackdown

228966-16x9-340x191.jpg

Australia's crackdown on drugs has been pointless and devastating, writes Greg Barns. What are we trying to achieve?

Every weekend, thousands of young Australians take drugs when they go partying, clubbing or sit around chilling with their friends.

And every weekend, police around Australia try to do the impossible - clamp down on that use of those drugs with sniffer dogs, bag searches and other time-consuming methods.

While a handful of young people might be caught by police, the vast majority will not. For those who are caught, the consequences can be devastating.

If convicted of possession and even sale of drugs, their career choices diminish immediately. And for law enforcement, this weekend routine is a pointless exercise because it does nothing to reduce demand for drugs among young Australians.

In short, this is a policy mess which our political leaders need to address now.

Australia 21, a think tank headed by former Defence Department secretary Paul Barratt, yesterday released its second paper on drugs policy dealing with the issue of young people and drugs policy.

The subtitle of the paper Alternatives To Prohibition sums up the policy dilemma neatly: "Illicit drugs: How we can stop killing and criminalising young Australians."

As with Australia 21's first paper, which was released with much fanfare in April this year, this effort is the product of another roundtable of policy makers and experts in the area of drugs policy who came together on July 6 to look at how we as a community help young Australians when it comes to illicit drugs, rather than seeking to damn them.

The bottom line is, and it comes as no surprise to those of us who see drugs policy through rational and empirical eyes rather than via vision that is clouded by prejudice and fear, those countries which treat drugs usage as a health and social issue, rather than a criminal justice one, have more success in reducing drug overdoses, HIV and crime.

The Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland are examples of the former approach; Sweden, the latter.

Dr João Goulão, a leading Portuguese drugs expert, says that a combined strategy of decriminalisation and a major investment in the health system have allowed Portugal to stem the growth of drugs in that country.

Fears that Portugal would become a drug trafficker's playground have not been borne out. Importantly, there is 70 per cent community support for the Portuguese policy settings, a consequence of the reforms being driven by a bottom-up approach rather than imposed by government without consultation.

The way in which drugs are viewed by a community is important in reducing the appeal to young people, as the Netherlands shows. Since the 1970s and 1980s, it has run a decriminalised policy in relation to cannabis. As the Australia 21 paper notes:

[Since] the mid-1980s, the Netherlands has reported declines in the number of drug-related problems including dependent opiate use, injection drug user-related HIV Infections and drug-induced deaths. For all drugs with the exception of ecstasy, reported use by Netherlands youth is below the European average.

In Switzerland, while drug use and possession has not been decriminalised, there has been two decades of policy focussed on health and harm-minimisation strategies which are strongly supported by the community.

By contrast, in Sweden, where a tough on drugs policy remains in place, drug usage and deaths from overdoses remain worryingly high, but even the law enforcement and welfare agencies are now working together with young people in a therapeutic way, because throwing the statute book at a young person simply does not work.

Australian drugs policy is still focussed on law enforcement and zero tolerance. When Australia 21 released its first paper in April, Prime Minister Julia Gillard dismissed it with a patronising line about drugs killing people and so forget about policy change.

But as the Australia 21 paper observes:

[As] much as we may deplore it, we must learn to live in a world where some young people use drugs. All drug use is not inherently evil. We would be better off keeping the focus on reducing the harm caused by drugs and drug policy.

This means drug services and treatment facilities in our prisons and youth justice centres, targeted intervention strategies for young people, and more nuanced communication and education rather than the ineffective "drugs are evil" type propaganda.

It also means acknowledging that prohibition is a failed policy. We have spent billions of dollars in Australia on prohibiting drugs, and yet have some of the highest rates of drug usage in the world, including so-called party drugs used by young people.

The key to reform, which the European experience demonstrates, is political bipartisanship. In other words, as is the case now with climate change policy, we need recognition from the left and the right of the political spectrum that the current policy settings are failing.

It is not only the experts from the Australia 21 forums who are saying this, but the vast majority of doctors, welfare workers, lawyers and others who work at the coalface of drugs policy each day.

We are literally killing, injuring and hurting young Australians who use illicit drugs because of our irrational obsession with prohibition. It is time to stop and produce policies that actually work.

Greg Barns is a barrister and criminal law spokesman for the Australian Lawyers Alliance. View his full profile here.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4249070.html

With comments at the above url.

Got to agree with this, 16 is way too young for MDMA. I personally think even 18 is. Your brain is still developing and I feel that using heavily during this period would greatly increase the risk of mental illness and cognitive deficits.

I also agree, whilst I started taking MDMA when I was 19, it was a very profound thing that I now knew would have a place in my life. But if I had started when I was 16 I think I would've been reckless the way I was with alcohol.

I started at 16/17, some of the best times of my life, a major positive effect on my life for sure. But yeah making E legal to 16+ seems a bit weird, as psytaco says below, just decriminalised would be better and for legal sale to over 18's or 21.

-edited.

Last edited:
^ agreed, but to make it legal to sell to them when they are 16 and their brains are still at a crucial stage of development, might be detrimental to them. Maybe make it like alcohol, make the legal age 18. that way people can have the capacity to be more informed. And treat it like alcohol where they just have possession taken away rather than face any criminal convictions. You know when cops used to catch you drinking underage, they would just make you tip out the beer in front of them and take away your 6 pack. it sucked, but is really a pretty good outcome.

And treat it like alcohol where they just have possession taken away rather than face any criminal convictions. You know when cops used to catch you drinking underage, they would just make you tip out the beer in front of them and take away your 6 pack. it sucked, but is really a pretty good outcome.

Yeah, that seems like a good plan.

Last edited:
Leaders know they have stupid drug policies, but don't have the guts to change them

OUR 'hardline' politicians need to be forced to take their heads out of the sand on drugs, says Tory Shepherd.

----------

CANNABIS, dope, ganja, weed - it is Australia's most commonly used illicit drug.

Some people have a bad reaction to being stoned - it can make them lethargic, confused. They may be prone to doing nothing when they should be doing something.

They can get paranoid, distanced from reality, or lack motivation.

When it comes to drugs policy, the Government is acting as though it is stoned. It finds it easier to sit on the couch with the TV tuned to the same old station than it would be to take a breath of fresh air and face the real world. The world where their drugs policy is failing; has failed.

They have some reason to be paranoid - the fear-mongers are out in force when it comes to drugs.

They paint any relaxation in the laws as a step on the road to ruin, the beginning of an unstoppable slide into a dystopia where heroin is on supermarket shelves and the youth are sucked into storms of drug-induced psychosis.

They've been watching too many Cheech and Chong films.

Yet another report has just been released declaring the war on drugs a "colossal failure".

The Australia 21 Alternatives to Prohibition report, the result of a roundtable of experts and young people, calls on governments to take cannabis out of the hands of criminals and regulate it themselves.

They recommend that cannabis and ecstasy be decriminalised for people aged 16 and older, so they can buy drugs from a government supplier.

These reports keep coming out, and nothing changes. If the very eminent Global Commission on Drugs' findings - that the war has failed and that it's time for policies based on science, health and human rights instead of ideology and political convenience - made no impact, what will?

Alex Wodak, the director of St Vincent's Hospital's Alcohol and Drug Service and one of Australia21's directors, said they invited "prominent Australians who support a hardline approach to attend a meeting but all those approached declined".

They don't want to know, they don't want to enter the conversation because they know they have stupid policies, but they don't have the guts to change them.

They need to be forced to take their heads out of the sand. Maybe our pollies should go on one of their infamous junkets - sorry, study trips.

Smoke a joint in Amsterdam, witness the drug wars in Mexico, check out the reforms in Portugal and Switzerland. The reforms that are working. The evidence - there's not enough room to go through it here, just read the reports - shows that harm reduction works, and hard punishment doesn't.

Even if you don't support any kind of legalisation, consider this:

An ageing hippie, relaxing at a summer festival, passes a joint to a mate. A schmick advertising executive celebrates a promotion with Moet and a line of cocaine. A dirty child in a dark alley injects heroin, her addiction, her escape - ultimately possibly her downfall.

Do any of these people deserve to go to prison? Would locking them up in any way help them or help society?

The answer is no. Criminalising drug users doesn't work. It's not just futile and counter-productive, it's bloody expensive.

Drugs, like alcohol, can have serious health effects on some individuals or in some cases. They're a health issue, not a moral or political one. In plenty of cases using drugs may not even be an issue at all.

The situation is similar to the same-sex marriage issue; progressive reforms are constantly thwarted by noisy minorities, usually religion-based ones with ideologies instead of ideas.

They use slippery slope arguments and scare tactics; and unfortunately they work. Gutless governments and oppositions with no confidence in their own electoral security are too scared to rock the finely-balanced boat.

They'd rather lie in a darkened room with the doona pulled over their heads than face the bright lights outside.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...s-to-change-them/story-fn34ojzj-1226471312695