• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

If you get psychedelic effects from cannabis, you probably have psychosis.

nancy145

Bluelighter
Whenever I smoke, I get full psychedelic effects from it. I see flashing patterns and pictures moving and colors and everything. I've even had an out of body trip before. I did some research on it and found that some people with the AKT1 gene get psychedelic effects from cannabis. If I remember correctly, 80% of those people were clinically psychotic. This was discovered less than a year ago and there's very little research done on it, so it's hard to find that much more information. I've had a psychotic episode before, and occasionally hear muffled voices that aren't actually real while sober. I'm only 16 though, and my first psychotic symptoms didn't come out till a few months ago. I talked to my psychiatrist about it, and he said I probably had psychosis, but didn't know much about the AKT1 gene and psychedelic effects from cannabis and all. From what I know, this is incredibly rare, but if you get psychedelic effects from cannabis you should probably stop smoking. Just wanted to put this out as like a warning thread.

EDIT: I was just doing more research, turns out about half of the entire population have this gene, but the hallucinations are rare.

EDIT 2: Just btw, if anyone knows any more information on this, please reply to the thread. It could permanently affect my mental health and sanity.

EDIT 3: I'm a 16 year old druggie, not a doctor or scientist, so all of this is just my own personal knowledge, and may be incorrect. If it is, please reply and correct me. Sorry for not saying this earlier.

Last edited:
With respect, you're wrong about the generalization of 'if you have psychedelic effects from Cannabis, you probably have psychosis'. Your condition is serious, and I respect you for dealing with it by seeing a psychiatrist, but at the age of 16 you simply can't generalize to an entire population. You don't have the experience, and you also don't list references or publications, so to me that's a bit of a red flag. I always look for the source of the research, where it was published, and if appropriate. - the funding.

That having been said, I used to get some effects similar to what you describe, including out of body experiences (twice), synaestehsia ( numerous times), morphing patterns and pictures melting and people talking backwards.

As I gained experience with Cannabis, these effects lessened. After I became medical, they've diminished entirely. Periodically I'll have a minor panic attack and that's it. I have mild/moderate depression and nothing more.

I'm not saying that no one who gets psychedelic effects from MJ doesn't have psychosis; I am saying that you are over generalizing and doing little more than repeating a variant of reefer madness. Coorelation is a tricky phenomenon to interpret.

Tom

OP i hope you have stopped smoking weed as a result. i have friends who get very trippy effects from weed. one of them was even diagnosed with cannabis induced psychosis.

i wouldn't say that everyone who gets psychedelic effects from weed is psychotic. i just think that cannabis isn't for certain people and maybe you're one of them.

my weirdest experience was a full blown slow mo vision where i was acknowledging things like my friend saying something and only when he finished did i understand. sounds sorta psychotic but this was one of my first few times with rosin.

THC is know too have some "psychedelic" effects. I've personally only have tripped sorta off edibles. If you're smoking regular weed and are constantly getting trippy effects, I would defiantly consult with a doctor.

Older lady here, but when I was a teenager and first tried it I had major paranoria and honestly thought there were bad peeps with dogs going up and down the beach that I was on and I knew they would eventually get me and no place to hide. Now this was about 25 years ago and I can still remember that very vividly. It was regular weed and the few times (far and few between) had the same type reaction. Needless to say, I must be of a very few that just can't use it. I do have panic disorder/anxiety issues and you would think that it would really help me. I would think it would be like a big time relaxer, but it has the totally oppisite side effect on me.

Btw, I am not psychotic, well only when my hubby gets into my stash of icecream! lol