• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

If you could ask Alexander Shulgin one question...

i would ask him why he didnt make any 2c's with halogens attached to the carbon at the tail of a propyl chain off the 4 position.

does anyone know anything about that?

Is there one moment that stands out in your mind from your career???

IGNVS said:
i would ask him why he didnt make any 2c's with halogens attached to the carbon at the tail of a propyl chain off the 4 position.

does anyone know anything about that?
those would probably be alkylating agents, and thus carcinogenic. Unless the halogen would be fluorine.

May I borrow a cup ov sugar please?

planckunit said:
those would probably be alkylating agents, and thus carcinogenic. Unless the halogen would be fluorine.
no qualms there fluorine it is

Pre-question question:
Would you please tend to your eyebrows before we begin?

The long, meandering, and incredibly drawn-out question:
Why are you, like Aldous Huxley, able to take these substances, and become a public figure, without morphing into a spaced-out, pseudo-spiritual guru - Leary, McKenna, Siebert, your wife, etc - nearly all psychedelic drug users who have attained celebrity status have ended up publishing flakey nonsense about mystical forces - what's the secret to maintaining your sanity?

The post-question request:
I appreciate you bringing the eyebrows under control, as requested. Just one more favour to ask: Would you please stop saying "taste" in reference to the ingestion of psychoactive materials? It's comes across as at best, silly and at worst, pretentious and ill-fitting.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

^^ Wow, you really dislike the term "taste" to describe taking a psychedelic, don't you? Why is that? It seems a good way to describe the process of trying out a new compound. And you must remember that he considers actually tasting (with your tastebuds and palate) the chemical to be an important part of "getting to know it".

You've seen me refer to the phenomenon twice recently because it's currently in my head. Before joining Bluelight, I'd never seen anyone other than Shulgin use the word "taste" in that way.

As for literally tasting a chemical as a way of "getting to know it", I prefer using a capsule method to avoid chemical burn. I mean, are they ever tasty? Does an awareness of the subjective taste of a given substance really matter when considering mind-altering drugs?

Try to imagine a pharmacologist presenting the editor of a peer-reviewed journal a paper reporting on the flavour of an anti-convulsant... "Dr. Alveroy, this compound is absolutely DELICIOUS! I expect it will be regulated and marketable within six months!"

When I really want to "get to know" a drug, I "take it out for dinner" (in other words, I ingest it).

Peacelove,
Aldousage

P.S: Does anyone here refer to insufflation/snorting drugs as "smelling" them? As in "Have you guys smelled any of that coke Steve's got?" Again, to each his/her own, but I find it goofy. Maybe I'll change my mind...

^^ I see your point, I just found it a silly thing to get worked up over. :) (You probably aren't actually worked up... I most likely just inferred that from your post).

Anyway, I do always taste my chemicals, or rather, I let them dissolve into my saliva and take them half sublingually, half orally. First and foremost, it allows them to take effects more quickly and reliably than with a gel cap. And secondly, it's interesting to taste them. Sure, they don't taste pleasant. Usually it's quite a sharp and bitter/strange taste. But it's just a flavor... it can't hurt you. Maybe it's just because I have an iron stomach and very little bothers me in that regard.

It's worth noting that some chemicals I will avoid tasting, such as 4-HO-DiPT (this is the worst and most alarming taste I've ever experienced). But most of them, especially the phenethylamines, I find to be interesting to taste. Maybe I'm just a freak?

When I use "taste" to refer to taking a compound, I mean that I am trying a chemical for the first or second time, to get a feel for it. I don't just use it to mean taking a substance in general. To me it evoked a sense of initial and cautious exploration.

As you say, to each his (or her) own. :)

Thank-you for responding politely and intelligently to my smart-ass post.

The smart-ass thing is the reason I came across as "worked up". By that I mean you'll find I'm a smart-ass fairly regularly. That said, I try not to be personally insulting, and I usually have a point (although, in this instance, admittedly not much of one...).

I think you've made some valid points regarding literally and figuratively "tasting" psychedelics. I can't relate to these points, but I can perfectly understand and respect them.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Aldousage said:
You've seen me refer to the phenomenon twice recently because it's currently in my head. Before joining Bluelight, I'd never seen anyone other than Shulgin use the word "taste" in that way.

As for literally tasting a chemical as a way of "getting to know it", I prefer using a capsule method to avoid chemical burn. I mean, are they ever tasty? Does an awareness of the subjective taste of a given substance really matter when considering mind-altering drugs?

Try to imagine a pharmacologist presenting the editor of a peer-reviewed journal a paper reporting on the flavour of an anti-convulsant... "Dr. Alveroy, this compound is absolutely DELICIOUS! I expect it will be regulated and marketable within six months!"

When I really want to "get to know" a drug, I "take it out for dinner" (in other words, I ingest it).

Peacelove,
Aldousage

P.S: Does anyone here refer to insufflation/snorting drugs as "smelling" them? As in "Have you guys smelled any of that coke Steve's got?" Again, to each his/her own, but I find it goofy. Maybe I'll change my mind...

Everybody involved in psychedelic research is a bit of an oddball in one way or another (just look at their pics and read about them -= they're all a bit off centre in some way!) - just be grateful he didn't turn into a wooley mijnded Leary type!

there is a fine line between a prophit and a madman.

both have the same knowledge, but one uses it, applies it, the other may do this to some extent, but it is incomplete, and when they try to spread the knowledge it is misinterprated/ misunderstood, because they are in essence working off of expereinces that people cannot completly connect with, their speaking their own language in a way and trying to teach something that hasnt been done (by themselves) completely.

madmen are geniouses, but their logic is not complete or perfect. perfect complete logic escapes the mind and spills over into life--you become your logic and through you your ideas live-- to which point you have the 'right' to speak what you know, because alot of language is body language/ life language. and also the results of your wisdom are seen through your own life and at times will apear miraculous.

what happens is what happens regardless of your individual experience.

leary, mckenna, all those people you were talking about, only they can know if their lives were satisfied with their teachings.

the posible diferences between huxley and the 'pseudo-spiritual gurus' is applied wisdom, a teaching through expreience other than words. (which makes it ironic that huxley was a writer)

i hope you can kinda get the jist of what im saying, though, according to the laws of reality there is a good chance that me trying to describe it to you will inhibit you from knowing what im talking about. just like all those 'psuedospiritual gurus'.

Aldousage said:

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Klonipin tastes minty and sweet...

no joke, a random dude I met at a party who came out from england to study chem at UC Berkeley told me that he was trying to get an interview with Dr. Shulgin, havent seen him since but if I ever do maybe I will take the best question from this thread and suggest it to him=D

oo ooo get him to sign up on bluelight!!

bet he will win the newlighter name contest over in green member introductions

I live hella close to him, i pass by his driveway, I should take a picture of it. Ive always wanted to meet him and trip with him, the man is incredible.

Aldousage said:

Peacelove,
Aldousage

to me, either Dexedrine or Adderall (not sure which ones) instant release tablets taste like pure candy.

And I dont think the taste matters if your going to get high, its definitely true with me when it comes to alcohol and mushrooms. and since cannabis is considered a mind-altering drug, Id say Ive smoked many strains that test pretty damn good

(good thread)

-Where do you idealistically and realistically see the state of psychedelic research in 10 years?

-Are there any compounds you've invented, yet not published because you feel they are too powerful or last too long etc.?

-Are you a member of any 'secret societies' or other 'elite' organizations similar to the Bohemian Club, and if so, what role if any do entheogens play?