• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

If love releases dopamine, serotonin, and other euphoric neurotransmitters, can love be considered a "high"?

Just a thought, because when I cuddle with my girlfriend, all my problems wash away like I've just been given the perfect mix of an opioid, benzodiazepine, and a bit of a stimulant.

What do you think? Do you feel high when in love?
Love is definitely a high. Sometimes, when I think about my partner, I get sensations in my body that I’ve only ever gotten before during an intense roll on MDMA. But I haven’t even taken anything and he doesn’t even have to be physically present for this to happen!!! Scientists have talked about love as if it were a drug before, because it can act on the brain similarly to cocaine, I believe. It can even impair your judgment, as we all know. Still, I’d rather be “under the influence” of this one than any other drug! :)

Those feelings are due to the release of oxytocin….then comes dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine

We are social creatures and hardwired to connect with each other. The release of oxytocin…a “feel good” chemical….is our brains way of rewarding us when we are making this physical connection with someone so that we will want to do it again. Basically it does get us high.

Attraction truly is chemistry…..pheromones.

dopamine and vasopressin
are more vital for a man in this process

with women it’s dopamine and oxytocin

I was able to drop heroin and crack pretty easily once I fell in love. I’d say love (or infatuation at least) is the ultimate drug, and some people can’t resist to taste it over and over again. (Hence cheaters chasing that high.)

-GC

Yes most definitely. When I found out without a doubt Christ loved me it was like a nuke went off. That honeymoon experience last two yrs. Then it was time for me to grow. It is still what undoes me the most.

I absolutely feel high when I’m “in love” but that’s only happened a handful of times in my life. I think a lot of us just settle. When I’m “crushing” on someone tho I absolutely feel high when I’m around them.

I absolutely feel high when I’m “in love” but that’s only happened a handful of times in my life. I think a lot of us just settle. When I’m “crushing” on someone tho I absolutely feel high when I’m around them.
Yes, a lot of people settle, and it’s too bad. It’s not even that romantic love necessarily HAS TO dwindle into companionship love; my grandparents were proof that you can remain “in love” all your lives, and science backs me up on this

An interesting article I found on the topic recently

Yes, a lot of people settle, and it’s too bad. It’s not even that romantic love necessarily HAS TO dwindle into companionship love; my grandparents were proof that you can remain “in love” all your lives, and science backs me up on this

An interesting article I found on the topic recently

While I believe it’s possible I’ve never personally seen it. But I’ll continue to hope one day I do find it. No relationship in my life or any of the lives around me has seemed like something I’d want to experience my entire existence on this planet. Even the people I know who have been together for decades and seem happy on the surface, once I look a bit deeper I see deep seated resentment every time.

That said, I’m a glass half full guy and really pray one day I get to see it first hand.

-GC

Yeah it's very strong. Sort of resembles a mania. It's kind of what I imagine a person with type 1 bipolar disorder feels during their manic phase: a "top-of-the-world" feeling, combined with increased energy, inflated mood etc.

Problem is, it is almost always wrong in my case. Tends to happen to me with girls I shouldn't be with anyhow, very attractive but without much underlying substance to them, or on a occasion, moderately attractive but with a charming and quirky personality that really turns out to be a manifestation of some sort shittiness or instability/insanity.

Its always better for me going into an relationship without that mania. Problem is, its a bit more boring and dispassionate.

The withdrawal from "love" is severe, especially when its abrupt and cold-turkey. Every time I've fallen off the deep end in terms of drug use have been from love withdrawal.

Yeah it's very strong. Sort of resembles a mania. It's kind of what I imagine a person with type 1 bipolar disorder feels during their manic phase: a "top-of-the-world" feeling, combined with increased energy, inflated mood etc.

Problem is, it is almost always wrong in my case. Tends to happen to me with girls I shouldn't be with anyhow, very attractive but without much underlying substance to them, or on a occasion, moderately attractive but with a charming and quirky personality that really turns out to be a manifestation of some sort shittiness or instability/insanity.

Its always better for me going into an relationship without that mania. Problem is, its a bit more boring and dispassionate.

The withdrawal from "love" is severe, especially when its abrupt and cold-turkey. Every time I've fallen off the deep end in terms of drug use have been from love withdrawal.

That last paragraph is so true. My drug use goes from completely managed to very unmanageable when I don’t have someone in my life. We see it with lots of people, it’s a common story to hear people use to the point of detriment after a breakup.

It’s tough because I want a relationship but if my drug use is out of control that’s not an easy task, nor does anyone deserve to have to deal with my baggage.

-GC

Of course it's a high.

But the comedown is fuckin brutal...
That comedown, yeah. Plus, like all the other commenters here, every time I’ve gotten my heart broken I’ve retreated into drugs or other equally unhealthy coping methods. It’s not good. I just hope that I’ve learned enough by now to know that this isn’t the way to deal with your negative emotions; problem is, rational mind tends to go out the window when you’re THAT distraught, and you no longer care about what’s “good for you.” What’s amazing to me is that I’ve experienced that comedown, that absolute crushing low, more than once as an adult, yet I’m still willing to love with everything I have. It can feel rather like stepping off a cliff, yknow? ESPECIALLY when you know exactly what awaits you if you put your trust in the wrong person. I’d say it’s either one of my greatest strengths, or it just proves what a crazy person I am 🤪😂😬

i think the first couple times i tried lsd at low doses, i got a feeling similar to love. i felt like i was doing the right thing. turns out it was fake or just not high dosed enough for me to even notice the drug. lol... i don't really consider love to be like being high. i remember feeling super positive when i thought i was right for my first girl that i was dating... i consider being high to be more messed up tbh. like "yo. i'm fucked up right now." that's what i consider being high. you don't say you are fucked up when you are in love. lol

if it’s a drug than so is hate or any other feeling

I don’t consider feelings caused by endogenous chems drugs

Just a thought, because when I cuddle with my girlfriend, all my problems wash away like I've just been given the perfect mix of an opioid, benzodiazepine, and a bit of a stimulant.

What do you think? Do you feel high when in love?
It can definitely be considered a natural high, but not a bad one. Every feeling that we have comes down to neurotransmitters and hormones to some degree. Whether it's falling in love, smoking a joint, riding a rollercoaster, enjoying a good meal, watching a funny movie, or any number of things.

But I'm also a true romantic at heart, and a pretty spiritual dude. I like to believe that there's an element to these experiences that cannot fully be explained away by science.

Why do we fall for certain people?
Why do certain pieces of music move us?
Why do we like watching a beautiful sunset?

To me, that's the beauty of life: That magical element that can't be boiled down to a mathematical formula.

Peace, Love & Faith,
Dreamflyer

It can definitely be considered a natural high, but not a bad one.
Every high is natural. Be it from artificial substance or from a plant or from sex.

And every is partly endogenous and partly exogenous. In case of sex/love exogenous part is in other persons brain.

But I too like you believe there’s more to it.