• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

If God knows everything, how can there be free will?

F.U.B.A.R., are you an atheist or an anti-theist?

Just wondering. This is not in relation to any comments.

F.U.B.A.R., are you an atheist or an anti-theist?

Just wondering. This is not in relation to any comments.

Hmm, good question. I would say an anti-theist. I hate all 'organised' religions as I see them as nothing more than mind control for the ignorant. However, i've indulged in psychedelic substances far too many times to deny the concept of spirituality, but I believe this comes from within and does not necessitate a 'higher power'.

Fascinating! Makes me think of a college humor video I saw about Tesla. According to the video, his mind - the matrix - crafted the idea for alternating current when he suddenly gazed at the sun. Makes more sense to try and invent something yourself than wait for God to help you out.

There's a decent amount of experiences, actually. Not really open to sharing on Bluelight in a context of atheism vs theism or whatever else, though.

In a way, you asking kind of shows that. It's not really an option until it is. I'd imagine my sharing, even in intimate detail, would change nothing for you. And quite possibly, could further cement your position by having an even more intense, enveloping, and seemingly real experience as evidence of the lengths that the human mind can go to to idealize and make meaning out of events. You know?

Hmm, good question. I would say an anti-theist. I hate all 'organised' religions as I see them as nothing more than mind control for the ignorant. However, i've indulged in psychedelic substances far too many times to deny the concept of spirituality, but I believe this comes from within and does not necessitate a 'higher power'.
There is no doubt that organized religion has its dark spots but I don't believe its all bad. It's a way for people to connect with whatever is out there thats causing all of us to grow and move forward. People tend to look at things as good or bad but we have to realize that everything has its positive aspects and its negative aspects. Some things might have a higher ratio of good or bad but ultimately that is the truth about anything that exists in this universe. Polarity is a very fundamental part of this reality.

And also I believe that seeking out a higher force and looking within yourself for spirituality is one in the same thing. Just depends how you look at it but they are essentially connected like the yin and the yang.

I believe that if we want to truly know what god or if we want to practice good spirituality, we have to accept both opposing view points of any argument and bridge the gap between them so that we can form a logical stable conclusion that everyone can agree with. Because we get to hung up on this notion of separation and thats what causes us to have two opposing view points or perspectives. Our society is addicted to having one-sided point of views and sometimes that's what ultimately results in violence and war.

I believe that if we want to truly know what god or if we want to practice good spirituality, we have to accept both opposing view points of any argument and bridge the gap between them so that we can form a logical stable conclusion that everyone can agree with. Because we get to hung up on this notion of separation and thats what causes us to have two opposing view points or perspectives. Our society is addicted to having one-sided point of views and sometimes that's what ultimately results in violence and war.

Exactly. Unfortunately, followers of organised religion are not renowned for accepting opposing viewpoints. Hence violence and war in the name of 'god'...

^ heresy! how dare you speak the truth in a religulous (bill maher) thread. you blasphemer of what is only true to one sect even though it is the opposite of what is true to another, and so on and so on... look at you with your fancy outside observation of truth based upon fact and history. forshame on you for using practical, rational and logical thinking.

i'm telling my mom on you right after she gets done warming up my hotpockets.

^ heresy! how dare you speak the truth in a religulous (bill maher) thread. you blasphemer of what is only true to one sect even though it is the opposite of what is true to another, and so on and so on... look at you with your fancy outside observation of truth based upon fact and history. forshame on you for using practical, rational and logical thinking.

i'm telling my mom on you right after she gets done warming up my hotpockets.

Sorry man, won't happen again... :( ;)

^ thank you for not confounding me with more sense and reason (more sarcasm).

appreciate it :)

91c03a483379c9f5818c4bd26eb58f17.jpg

kind of makes you wonder about fate/destiny and free will/choice if there is a god who knows everything

^ Good old Gary Larson. 'Hardly know anybody who likes those cartoons.

Here's one of my favorites (though unrelated to this thread):
far_side_beware_of_doug.jpg

Title basically sums up my question. If the God of the bible (or any Abrahamic deity for that matter) is truly omnipotent, omnipresent and knows everything that will happen, then how can free will exist?

You're absolutely correct IMO. It can't. Fortunately that god very likely doesn't exist so there's nothing to be concerned about on that account. There are other ways we might not have free will that are more compelling IMO. Like the fact of DNA and how we get programmed by our early life experiences and time only moves from past to present and future. It's a dumb topic IMO because I don't think we can answer it in a definitive way.

^ haha.

@Cosmic Trigger: seeing is sometimes believing and believing is sometimes seeing. this does not pertain to god and spirituality alone in life but just about anything some believe. a matter of perspective.

DNA doesn't have much to do with how our mentality and behavior get programmed by our early life experiences other than how pre-dispositioned we are to situations. even the events we went through at a younger age can be adjusted for.

the concept of time was inconsequential except in matters of passive decay until human beings came a long and created the clock and calendar which marked significance in how we change the universe around us and not the other way around.

so many absolutes in one post, boggling.

Last edited: