• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

If drug addicts get methadone, why can patients not use cannabis?

poledriver

Bluelighter
If drug addicts get methadone, why can patients not use cannabis?

THE States provides methadone to drug addicts for free so it should be providing cannabis-based medicine at no cost to those who need it, according to one politician who was due to raise the issue in the States on Tuesday. Deputy Montfort Tadiersays that Reform Jersey wants to fund free healthcare through raised social security for high earners During this week’s sitting Deputy Montfort Tadier is expected to present a series of propositions calling for three Islanders to be able to use cannabis-based products for medicinal purposes. Health Minister Andrew Green has called on States members to reject the proposals and as a result Deputy Tadier knows he faces a fight to get the propositions approved.

http://nationalhealth.press/if-drug-addicts-get-methadone-why-can-patients-not-use-cannabis/

I believe it has to do with physical addiction and knowing that addicts would still be on the streets to 'survive' the withdrawals. Perhaps, it's a cost benefit analysis and the acutte need physically speaking which often leads to criminality. It's a good question, idk the answer but cannabis is soon becoming legal and decriminalized or even tolerated more than ever - everywhere, including countries like Uruguguay where Marijuana is totally legal now. They don't even a history of drug abuse and now it's a available to everyone.

Well see what there saying but the analogy Dsnt make much sense. Opiate maintaince is meant to treat addiction so addicts will not destroy there lives or end up dead from the lifestyle due to other opiates being illegal and stuff they have to do to obtain these other opiates.. Weed as many people know treats many medical conditions and should be legal for medical and recreation. But I mean methadone and suboxone are meant to save lives, I dunno just a dumb analogy but yes it should be lrgal

methadone is not free. It is only free to some. Generally it is ~17 dollars a day, no matter your dose.

methadone is not free. It is only free to some. Generally it is ~17 dollars a day, no matter your dose.

Yeah I didnt have insurance but had a full time job... oh how the clinic loved taking my money for recovery. The only issue i had with having to pay is i took that seriously and people in the waiting area would ask why i had to pay and why i couldnt get free insurance through the state, tried that made to much money and by the time obamacare came in i was done.

Ah the plight of being a white male with a job, everyone wants your money and goes "oh well you have a job so you can afford this, those other people dont so they need it for free" even though it would appear that a lot of people dont take recovery seriously. However, it was the extreme expense of suboxone (130 a week before paying clinic fees) and the moderate expense of methadone (50 dollars a week down from 75 after i "renegotiated") that lead me to quit or at least made quitting a more rewarding option.

I do however smoke a lot of weed and can benefit from a weed clinic where they hand out weed in amounts that could kill 2 or 3 people in a single daily dose for myself (like 90mg of methadone when i started at the clinic) that would probably save me some money in the end lol

Yes suboxone is a money making racket. I finally had to say to my doctor "Either you prescribe me generic subutex or I go someplace else." It would be cheaper for me to just go to a crooked doctor and get pain management. It was 125 for doctors appointment, 25 for drug test, and then for the strips I was getting them at eleven apiece so 660 a month for the script. Subutex was 60 a month for the script.

You should be allowed to grow as much cannabis as you need, just as I grow as many fresh herbs as I need. It is after all just an herb. I wonder what they will try to ban? Chamomile because it is so relaxing to drink the fresh flowers? Turkey because if you eat 13lbs of turkey you may be a little sleepy?

It is not poor peoples fault. It is actually wealthy people who, in the words of Trump, "Try to pay as little taxes as possible." If everyone just paid a flat tax rate with no loopholes we would not be in this mess, all of our social programs would be funded, and we may solve the budget crisis. We reward wealthy/top earners with better taxes/taxcuts for purposefully being shifty with their money.

We reward wealthy/top earners with better taxes/taxcuts for purposefully being shifty with their money.

Not to derail but this is largely due to the fact the US is a capitalistic consumer based economy and thus we can not separate the idea of being wealthy with being successful. As I am sure a lot of us realize money doesnt mean anything other then having money.

Ugh subs r damn expensive, or will be for me in less than a year..$175 for visit and only 50 for my strips. Insurance want pay for visits but will the med. old insurance I got away with paying $100 for meds and $25 for visits but they were not covering my visits so I'm paying off a $2000 bill for my clinic. Also had a $1500 bill for my drug test but called them and said it was a billing error, so whatever. Without insurance I'd be payin 300 for my 30 strips and 200 basically for the visits. Not free. And they wonder why people divert their meds, it's to keep going to the damn doctor. I use to get 60 which was 553 or something for the script then add the visits... I mean, that's my months check pretty much. I kno I called the clinic and they said $15 a day plus the gas of driving there and hour to then an hour back...

And I kno sober ppl think we'll if u had money for whatever b4, but the whole damn point is to get away from the lifestyle, which includes hustling up money.. It's all a sham, Rehabs, subs, clinics...if u dnt have money well then fuck off, lol. Even if it's the same doctor that's been helping you for years" oh cnt afford it??? Sorry bye

It's simply because methadone is not viewed as pleasurable by the general public, and medicine, of course, is only acceptable if you don't enjoy it.

If it wasn't for MMT, I'd probably be dead. I tried the other methods such as abstinence only (and Suboxone as well) and relapsed repeatedly, but I digress.

When it comes to the Sativa (AKA 'Marijuana') subspecies of the herbaceous perennial plants commonly known as Cannabis, unless you are:

- profiting off of locking people up for non-violent possession of Marijuana (e.g. owners of private prisons)...
- lobbyists representing the special interests of Big Alcohol, Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, etc...
- working as narcotics law enforcement (and likely are especially fond of exploiting monthly quotas, abusing Asset Forfeiture for your personal benefit, and so forth)...
- the most hoodwinked, naive, fundamentalist, hypocritical bunch of right wing nuts in America...

There is absolutely no good reason why a freakin' plant should be illegal in any way, shape or form. Not when other addictive drugs present in Tobacco/Nicotine products, Alcoholic Beverages and countless Caffeinated concoctions have remained legal despite being directly responsible for a combined total of ~25,000 deaths every 24 hours worldwide.

Hell, in North Korea of all places, where farting in the wrong direction will get you killed, Marijuana isn't even considered a drug! Their dear leader tokes up every time he pigs himself out on the finest imported cheeses from around the world while the rest of the country eats a bowl of corn once daily or each other if the corn runs out.

Yet in 2016, countless non-violent, otherwise law-abiding Americans continue to rot away like caged animals in for-profit-prisons throughout the country which hails itself as "The Land of the Free" - all for simple possession of parts of a plant without intent to distribute it.

I'm sorry, but the establishment needs to be dealt with permanently before another Wall St. collapse dooms the republic's unity and prosperity.

Last edited:
land of the free my ass. We are only as free as they tell us we are.

... Be thankful for religious freedom*, freedom of speech*, right to assemble*

* means where applicable.

Use to be way less common then it is when "land of the free" was coined. ;)

because cannabis causes one to think. methadone doesn't. they want to keep as many people as possible from experiencing psychedelica, keep em going to church, consuming material possessions for their "high"

Hopefully the republican party continues to implode on itself like a dying star and vanish into a black hole never to return....and progressives can continue to focus on scientific advancement and take over the planet instead of bombing people that don't go to the same type of church.

as napoleon i think it was said keep us dumb for if we knew what was going on we would murder the ruling classes in their beds

Yes suboxone is a money making racket. I finally had to say to my doctor "Either you prescribe me generic subutex or I go someplace else." It would be cheaper for me to just go to a crooked doctor and get pain management. It was 125 for doctors appointment, 25 for drug test, and then for the strips I was getting them at eleven apiece so 660 a month for the script. Subutex was 60 a month for the script.

I'm guessing you have the unfortunate luck to be a drug addict born in America, a country that doesn't believe spending tax payers money on health care is a good thing.

Once again you are in America. In most other advanced western countries health care is supported with tax income. I know in my home country Australia methadone cost's $10 AUD a week.

My main question is why can't doctors treat meth amphetamine addiction with low doses of medical grade dex-amphetamine or Ritalin? I know some less understanding tax payers would view it as a cop out.

I'm guessing you have the unfortunate luck to be a drug addict born in America, a country that doesn't believe spending tax payers money on health care is a good thing.

Once again you are in America. In most other advanced western countries health care is supported with tax income. I know in my home country Australia methadone cost's $10 AUD a week.

My main question is why can't doctors treat meth amphetamine addiction with low doses of medical grade dex-amphetamine or Ritalin? I know some less understanding tax payers would view it as a cop out.

because meth addicts would just stack methamp on top of the amp and get super high.

when you put heroin on top of methadone or suboxone you don't get as high as you would with only the heroin. 1+1=1 with mehtadone and heroin but 1+1 = 2 with meth and regular amphetamine.

also the assumption that america is an "advanced" western nation is very arguable. they are much dumber than most third world countries. except that american universities are the most advanced (but mostly filled with foreign students doing all the science)

Yeah seems likely most meth addicts would just have the tablets or whatever and then score ice later on. Kinda like giving an alcoholic who wonts to recover some light beers? They are just going to get a taste then go hustle some harder shit.

America does not view having decent health, not good health, but passable health, as a human right. If it is a right, it is a very expensive right.

For all the talk of progressives in washington, and the "liberal media" we have a very uneducated, apathetic voting population.

"Sure seems like, err, apart from existing laws compelling someone to give a shit (e.g. social programs), Uncle Sam merely tolerates the presence of fellow Americans and very little more than that." - I forgot