View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Idiiot friend took the top off ketamine vial

burn out

Bluelighter
I gave my friend a vial of ketamine and told him he could have 200 mg. He is a dumbass and removed the sealed top, not realizing ytou are just supposed to stick the needle through the rubber part. Is the rest of it still safe for IM? How can I store it now?

No it's not quite safe anymore now, you'd have to micron filter the solution and place the cap on (if it still will go on), then through the rubber cap rinse it all properly with alcohol. Do your best to get all alcohol out of course. very small rest bits will evaporate / not be a problem.
You can do this by keeping the solution in a quite large syringe temporarily, then when the vial is sterile again inject it into the vial through micron filter. I fill vials up with drug solutions that way anyway.

the cap will not go back on I mean is it possible to put it in a new container and re-steralize it? like, heat it or something?

Get a filter. 220nm. Simple as that. Attach to syringe, draw up, remove filter, attach needle, you're golden.

You can buy empty intact rubber stopper vials, I've done that (ordered them, possibly got them shipped from the US iirc). Then you can follow the method I described.
Don't heat it, it's not a reliable method and it's a bitch to boil a solution inside the vial with limited room for the pressure, even if you put in a needle as valve. You can technically sterilize an empty vial by boiling a long ass time and then fitting the valve needle with something like a cotton filter (in a syringe barrel) because it will draw in air as the temperature inside cools, you don't want that air to contaminate your vial again.
But then you'd still have to sterilize your K solution, by means of a micron filter.

I thought micron filters where not supposed to be used in the "drawing" direction, crOOk? Probably because they are composed of multi layer filters including a rougher pre-filter and a final membrane. You'd clog the membrane in the other direction? Messing too much with filters is not recommended because they are not perfect anyway and have some sort of tolerance to particles varying per particle size (like a spectrum). Fucking up your filter may make it tolerant again to particles defeating its purpose, if you force after clogging etc. Am a bit hazy on the details but from what I read about that I don't advise that kind of thing.

I have wondered about theoretically re-sterilizing used micron filters, assuming that enough heat would actually kill everything without melting the thermoharder material, or using a desinfectant or appropriate desinfecting solvent (which perhaps would have to be put in the reverse way to 'wash it out'). Never done it since it just seems sketchy, but I'm still interested to know why it wouldn't work.

And anyway crOOk, you'd have to repeat your method with like 10 syringes and switching the same filter each time to be able to accomodate say 10 ml as 10 doses. Other than those reasons it'd work.

Last edited:
I don't have any micron filters. Isn't there anything I can do with stuff I have laying around the house? How much would micron filter cost?

Should be resterilized. Go over to https://www.gpzmedlab.com/ get some luer lock syringes and a sterile submicron filter and another sterile sealed rubberstoppered vial.

Or you could just cook the vial in a double boiler for a bit with the stopper on but vented by a sterile luer lock needle poking out. keep an eye on it. Don't boil the shit out of it. The needle can only vent vapor so fast. You may want to keep the stopper loose just in case.

Last edited:
Again, that is not reliable - but there certainly aren't other garden and kitchen alternatives to using a micron filter, otherwise I wouldn't pay the admittedly steep price for them.

Maybe with a pressure cooker it works (you still do use a venting needle and probably fit it with a ball of cotton in syringe barrel - cover loosely with aluminum foil against the steam and condensation), since you use an environment where the pressure inside the vial rises as well as outside. You must never speed up a pressure cooker slowly returning to normal by venting pressure manually, because then the containers inside will not be able to keep up leveling out which gives you things like overboiling and exploding glass etc.
Pressure cookers do get a bit more intense than normal boiling conditions, also.
Cf autoclave.

If you are impatient maybe give up on wanting to IM that and cook into crystal. If patient, go online and ebay the shit out of a bunch of generic micron filters, seems like that could be affordable - though I am not much of that kind of user anymore so haven't personally bought those kinds that way, but I did search for them and find them.

Last edited:
Ever considered IV? Much less prone to contaminant complications than IM. Just evaporate and then reconstitute with water prior to use.
I know I will probably get shit for this advice, but it's better than IMing if you have no filter.
You can buy filter wheels on ebay and then just suck it up in a syringe add filter squirt into another syinge and shoot. I usually squirt it into a sterile syringe through the needle hole after removing the needle, not perfect, but it works.
Warning: if you decide to go the filter route be sure to use Luer-Lock syringe, if you don't you'll very probably squirt your ket all over the place since pressure will build up as you are filtering.