• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Identifying the implicated neurotransmitter??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Traditionally, it's been one of the three monoamines.

I feel fortunate in that, although I had no response to serotonin - noradrenergic based agents did and do provide relief and remission of symptoms for me.

That being said, it's still very hit and miss and, I would say I've achieved at most 50% remission thus far.
With the modification and augmentation of medication moving forward, I'm hoping to improve that figure but, it also makes me question - is there the possibility that more than one NT could be implicated?

Given limited responsiveness to DA agents, Ritalin, pramipexole - I'm thinking it's not histamine.
Olanzapine would rule out cholinergic NTs.

The one that's on my mind is, GABA.
Implicated by pregabablin and gabapentine.

So - insomnia, fatigue and concentration - the most difficult symptoms to get to go into remission, are the most bothersome.

Now - GABA inhibites DA and NE, right?
I don't know how the aformentioned work but - I know they induce sleep.
Would that suggest they agonize GABA and thus act to promote the inhibition of DA/NE??

If that were the case - it would be counterproductive for my symptoms - but like I said - do those agents act to agonize or block inhibitory GABA??

Oddly - with Bupropion - my sleep was the best it's been, oddly because many people complain that it disturbs their sleep - but that failed to be long term effective unfortunately.
But that occurance would suggest that, with the correction of either noradrenaline imbalances, or NA receptor sensitivity, sleep issues effectively began to go into remission - which would reinforce the idea that perhaps it is solely NE being the implicated receptor in my condition?

In any case - for completeness - I guess the other receptors that would potentially be addressed are - GABA, and NMDA - though the latter might require some innovative thinking.

Any insights?

PS - the other factor to consider is, with too high a dose of desipramine - it actually began to induce fatigue.
I cut the dose to 2/3'rds and, whilst there was an energy improvement, it did also incite the return of some symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, which had been completely alleviated at high dose desipramine.

My next step in any case, is to attempt to replace mirtazapine, with its analogue, mianserin - to exclude any 5HT effects - and potentiate the NA effects.

What effects did gabapentin/pregabalin have for you? Can you give a brief list of the medications that did and didn't help?

What effects did gabapentin/pregabalin have for you? Can you give a brief list of the medications that did and didn't help?

I haven't tried pregabaline or gabapentin - that's why I'm trying to logic out if they would or wouldn't be beneficial for me - based on the depression treatment algorithm?
I don't could potentially get some pregabalin but - doesn't it take a while to build up in the system?
And how would it mix with my current meds?

What I have taken:

Prozac
lexapro

olanzapine
seroquelrespiradone

None of these did anything really.

Effexor
Mirtazapine

Both of these did a little, but much more than the serotonin or D blocking agents.
Remeron specifically helped with insomnia and allowing an appetite increase - both wonderful feelings.

Bupropion

This was good for a while, but less good toward the end. Ameliorate surface symptoms, but not underlying ones - would be a good description for its effect - as is often used with simtulants/amphetamines.

Ritalin - this had a small benefical effect, but nothing major.

Lofepramine (a prodrug to desipramine).

This was very promising initially - completely clearing up my IBS and apparently helping sleep and everything, but with time, I seemed to become fatigued on it - so I started to reduce the dose, and am currently playing around with the dose.

I am currently on Lofepramine and mirtazapine.

I also have been prescribed Zopiclone - which I have at home.

Is this a GABA agent?

Would taking it assist in understanding whether GABA is implicated for me or not?

Zopiclone is in my opinion effectively a weak benzo. It was marketed as a non-benzo sleeping drug, but despite structural differences still seems to work mainly via GABA-A agonism.

What are your main symptoms, or the problems you're trying to address?

I haven't tried pregabaline or gabapentin - that's why I'm trying to logic out if they would or wouldn't be beneficial for me - based on the depression treatment algorithm?
I don't could potentially get some pregabalin but - doesn't it take a while to build up in the system?
And how would it mix with my current meds?

What I have taken:

Prozac
lexapro

olanzapine
seroquelrespiradone

None of these did anything really.

Effexor
Mirtazapine

Both of these did a little, but much more than the serotonin or D blocking agents.
Remeron specifically helped with insomnia and allowing an appetite increase - both wonderful feelings.

Bupropion

This was good for a while, but less good toward the end. Ameliorate surface symptoms, but not underlying ones - would be a good description for its effect - as is often used with simtulants/amphetamines.

Ritalin - this had a small benefical effect, but nothing major.

Lofepramine (a prodrug to desipramine).

This was very promising initially - completely clearing up my IBS and apparently helping sleep and everything, but with time, I seemed to become fatigued on it - so I started to reduce the dose, and am currently playing around with the dose.

I am currently on Lofepramine and mirtazapine.

What are your problems?

depression?

or also too little energy

or too much energy (insomnia)

What are your problems?

depression?

or also too little energy

or too much energy (insomnia)

To answer the above two questions:

The problem is fatigue, no energy or concentration, poor to no appetite, IBS, and insomnia.
Definitely NOT too much energy.

Symptoms of unipolar depression - oddly enough - without a whole lot of depressed feelings.

They all seem to improve to some degree with suitable noradrenergic agents.
Like I was saying - I don't know how GABA would tie into that.

Would taking Zopiclone or Pregabalin be a better indicator to determine if GABA is an implicated NT in these symptoms?

To answer the above two questions:

The problem is fatigue, no energy or concentration, poor to no appetite, IBS, and insomnia.
Definitely NOT too much energy.

Symptoms of unipolar depression - oddly enough - without a whole lot of depressed feelings.

They all seem to improve to some degree with suitable noradrenergic agents.
Like I was saying - I don't know how GABA would tie into that.

yes, noradrenaline is definitely the one for you

GABA is sedative, it would make you more fatigued, i don't recommend it to you!

yes, noradrenaline is definitely the one for you

GABA is sedative, it would make you more fatigued, i don't recommend it to you!

Any points of view on how to best potentiate the noradrenergic effect?

How does the mianserin/lofepramine combo sound?
Do you have an opninion on how profoundly mirtazapine implicates NA?
And - a point of view on Reboxetine?

Remind us how long you were on SSRIs and on what doses? They are supposed to take more than a few weeks to work. The theory behind many medications is that they have far downstream genetic etc components because they can take a while to work, SSRIs for depression and antipsychotics for schizophrenia are examples where there is a lag between medication onset and symptom relief onset. Things like reversal of hippocampal atrophy in MDD with SSRI use chronically probably take a fair while, or at least the MDD has to be in remission for a while even if that's unmedicated remission.

The Z-drugs like Ambien especially bind to a particular GABA-A receptor that is expressed differently than the other subunits that benzos also bind to. That being said, some people find both Ambien and classical benzos abuseable and euphoric.

Pregablin/Neurontin primarily affect calcium channels, and downstream of that they decrease glutamate. Ketamine is theorized to work for MDD by increasing glutamate, although it is an NMDA antagonist.

Well in theory yes, but I suppose I was asking from the point of view of it having failed many of the FDA clinical trials?

An opinion on how potentially effective reboxetine may be?

Reboxetine would be perfect for you, it gives the energy that you lack!

Well in theory yes, but I suppose I was asking from the point of view of it having failed many of the FDA clinical trials?

An opinion on how potentially effective reboxetine may be?

SSRI's?

A long time.
I think prozac like,, 8 months - and lexapro, almost a year...

The way lexapro acted as a sedative for me incite some anxiolytic properties, but in terms of symptom remission?
Nothing.

Johnboy if you find something for IBS I'll give you my kidney. Horrible IBS doctors give u menthol 10 mg

I read something in Stahls books about how too much NRI action can saturate the receptor and actually incite lethargy/fatigue.

I guess I found that to be the case on anything above the starter dose of desipramine - and figured maybe reboxetine, being more activating that tricyclics, I might be able to push the dose higher, thus experience improved symptom remission.
Cause sedation on desipramine is not uncommon - right?

That's what Stahls prescribers guide says, at least.

Who is stahl never heard of him? Have you heard of saplosky he has his lectures on YouTube