• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ibuprofen and Codeine

Mieessa pera

Greenlighter
Hi All,

Long time reader first time posting. I recently went on a bit of an Ambien binge and during the blackout phases took 24 200mg ibuprofen 12.5mg codeine. I don't completely recall doing so. I'm in the process of undergoing treatment for drug misuse at present.

I've had quite an upset stomach for a few days. I've booked into do bloods with my Doctor next week to check liver, kidneys etc.

I'm acutely aware ibuprofen has NO high associated with it and its toxic on your system in high doses. I also know I'm way to embarrassed to get help with this particular illogical stupid slip. Its been 3 days, stomach still tender but everything else working normally.

Should I be really worried or can I take my mind off it and wait for bloods to assess damage?

That is a lot of ibuprofen...if you’re still having stomach pain I would be concerned that you may have damaged your stomach lining. You should seek immediate treatment, ER ASAP. Swallow your pride and get help.

Thank you for your response. I did attend my GP this morning and got checked out. Waiting for bloods, stomach pain is easing.

Did they give you any PPIs? Like omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole annnnd there?s more. But I don?t feel I need to keep going.

Stomach ulcers are common with this kind of anti inflammatory when taken at higher doses.

If you want codeine you need to do a cold water extraction from those pills. It takes a large amount of ibuprofen out.

I can understand high codeine doses. But the most relief I?ll get from ibuprofen doesn?t grow after 400mg (generally 2 tabs). If that doesn?t work, I know I need to find an alternative. Or pay for more pain in the long run, which isn?t very long really.....

take care. I hope you come to full recovery. Question your doc on whatever you feel is nesessary, and if their seemingly fobbing you off, get a second opinion.

We pay these people to work for us. Their not teachers. We?re not pupils. We?re all humans that are generally qualified to do certain things. They study to become what they are, yeah it?s hard work, but it pays off, hugely. So they need to get over their god complex and do their fkn job properly. They need to explain to their patients whatever their pushing on them does, fully, my dealer tells me, and he didn?t make grade 8.
It?d save a lot of time.

Dont be ashamed going to ER, say you had a migraine. The pharmaceutical industry is that fkd that I feel they don’t explain what can actually happen when a large dose of ibuprofen or paracetamol has been taken.
They love telling us how much we should drink, and I don’t see many following suit
there....

So a lot of people actually fall into false interpretations. I thought they designed it this way to make more jobs. “Shhhhhh we ain’t got no job if there’s no one with stomach issues...”

Last edited:
Thank you for a reply. She's happy with my vitals and on examination I'm not as tender as I was. She's rushing bloods and I'm close to an A&E department so any signs of deterioration I've a referal so I can just go immediately.I'm reluctant to take anything else for a while, she would have given me something that sounds vaguely familiar to one of the above :s. I had a slip with my ambien ( prescribed for insomnia, sometimes take recreationally but with a buddy and a planned dose, I stumbled upon an old stash while cleaning and my usual basic caution went out the damn window) hence the stupidly dangerous tablet taking.

I got a few of those windows.

Missed work a few few times because of them.... ;-)

good to to hear your getting better. Still, take it easy on that stomach.

i damaged mine at the start of my 20s. I’m nearly mid 30s and I’m still taking prescribed antacids.

Omeprazole, ranitidine and gavaiscon have been a daily since. I’ve done the rounds with all PPIs, they seem to work. But not forever. So they just put you on another.

I was a big drinker and thought it was that. But quit drinking a few years back and nothing’s changed.

But im no health freak. So I can’t expect to feel like I’m 18 forever.

Hey there OP! Welcome to to the den of inequity, sin and debaucherous sex that we like to call Bluelight! There's no need to be embarrassed. If you're truly feeling as embarrassed as you say, hit me up and I can spin you some yarn that will instantly improve your sense of self-confidence and worth at my expense. We've all done things that we regret. No need to feel shame or guilt, we are here to help and support you :)

Yes, you're definitely correct that too much Ibuprofen is not a good thing. A rule of thumb that we all live by typically, is that too much of anything is bad. The good news is that you likely did not permanent damage to your body. As OTC painkillers go, this one is less insulting to the body than say, Acetaminophen (Tylenol). You probably have just upset your stomach a bit and it will resolve in a few days.

As you've already implied, it's probably a good idea to consult your doctor. The level of honesty in which you choose to operate with him is totally on you. There is most likely no need to mention any of the drugs. You just say that your stomach is giving you trouble and tell him you've been taking Ibuprofen to deal with it. If you'd like to be open and honest about the Zolpidem (Ambien) usage, you totally can, but I doubt it's necessary.

I'm not a doctor, but I can say with confidence that I think if you're operating and functioning at this point, then you're gonna be A-Okay.

May I just say, that a lot of Ibuprofen (or NSIADS in general) are extreamly nephrotoxic so do becareful. I have seen many people who have really damaged thier kidneys using high, and consistent doses of ibuprofen. A former patient, a young lady early 30s, fit healthy had snowboarding accident and instead of seeking medical advice she used ibuprofen for the remainder of her holiday in high doses. When she came back the UK she presented at my hosptal with SOB, itchhing, and odema. And it turned out it was an AKI due to NSAID overuse. AKI required dialysis, hhowever even with aggressive treatment her renal function did not return and the last I saw her she was on diaysis.

So please becareful.

May I just say, that a lot of Ibuprofen (or NSIADS in general) are extreamly nephrotoxic so do becareful. I have seen many people who have really damaged thier kidneys using high, and consistent doses of ibuprofen. A former patient, a young lady early 30s, fit healthy had snowboarding accident and instead of seeking medical advice she used ibuprofen for the remainder of her holiday in high doses. When she came back the UK she presented at my hosptal with SOB, itchhing, and odema. And it turned out it was an AKI due to NSAID overuse. AKI required dialysis, hhowever even with aggressive treatment her renal function did not return and the last I saw her she was on diaysis.

So please becareful.

That's a rather scary story. How much had she been taking and for how long?

It was a while back so the doses escape my memory, but I recall that she kept on taking it around the clock for 10 days to deal with her pain. I should have added that it was a sporting holiday, so she was very active, and also partying quite a bit through the 10 days, so drinking alcohhol too. But it was determind that it was acute kidney injury, as a result of NSAID use; the biopsy results were consistent with the diagnosis.

Thank you all for your kindness, understanding and non judgemental advice, it put my mind at ease rather than freaking out while waiting for results which is pointless. In relstion to the kidney failure etc, luckily its the only time I've ever done this and I have been abstaining from alcohol for the last year so hopefully that might count in my favour. Absolute fucking screw up on my part and something I'd never have decided to do had I not been on a zolpidem binge ( not an excuse just the reality of the situation.

Again thank you all so much for your replies.