• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Ibogaine treatment for opioid dependence?

blues runner

Bluelighter
Hi everyone.

(Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so apologies if this isn't the forum...please move it where it belongs, thanks.)

I'm going to try Ibogaine treatment for opioid/opiate addiction. I'm not going to do it myself. I moved to the EU 2 years ago and I've done research on which clinics seem the most reputable in the continent. As I'm sure most everyone knows, it's not actively approved/legal in many developed nations. In the EU, all my research indicates that Portugal is the country of choice for my purpose. I'll be going to a clinic, haven't scheduled a date yet but I'd like it to be within a week or two.

I'll include some pertinent information that will give anyone who might have info of any kind on this subject, hopefully but not necessarily by personal experience, that might help me.

I'm a 48 year old male, started doing heroin when I lived in Thailand 25 years ago. Since then I've had years on opioids and years off them. When I was off them I was doing something else (usually crystal methamphetamine) - but there's no meth in Belgium where I currently live, just crappy street "speed paste," which isn't even 5% the potency of what I had every day in LA where I lived for 9 years. Why the hell they don't have crystal here blows my mind; Eastern Europe is flooded with it, but I won't say any more about that. When I moved here I hadn't used any opioids/opiates for 6 years. But a couple months after I arrived here I developed sciatica, and while my legal residence status was in the process of getting approved, surgery was out of the question as I would've had to pay for it out of pocket. The pain was fucking SEVERE; from the small of my back, running all the way down my left leg to my foot, it felt as if I had molten lead coursing through the center of my leg. In the beginning it would flare up erratically and sometimes it was days with no pain, then flare-up again. I tried every non-invasive treatment I could afford and nothing made a dent. Within 6 months I was in pain every day, and my doctor started prescribing analgesics. I didn't mention my history as I was in too much pain to care about taking the risk that they could take over my life again. I started with Oxycodone, but couldn't get a script of IR any higher than 10 mg per pill, and I needed at least 40 mg to manage the pain. Morphine was useless. We all know orally its bioavailability is shit, maybe 20% after first pass metabolism. He then prescribed me Hydromorphone (useless orally for me as well so that means IV), but soon thereafter I started Methadone again, worked up to 140 mg within a month and stayed on it for half a year or so until my residence and citizenship status was finally finished, which meant I could get the surgery for free basically. I did, and it worked perfectly; no more pain, no complications.

However...I was once again dependent on opioids. I've been on both Methadone and Buprenorphine maintenance for a couple years at a time over the last 20 years, but I hate being on maintenance. So I jumped off cold, 140 mg dose a day, and tried to ease the first 2 weeks' misery with Xanax, Dextroamphetamine (which I'm prescribed for ADD, 60 mg a day for years now), weed, etc. I lost patience with that approach. Too much hassle, too little benefit. So, I went back to my regular doc and asked for Hydromorphone again (it's called Palladone here) and I asked him to prescribe the highest dose he could. IR was only 2.6 mg, so that would have been useless, so I instead started getting 8mg ER capsules, which I would break down, prep and IV. Fast forward to today, I've been on the local Dilaudid for about half a year, and I shoot roughly 20 some mg 4 times a day. Turns out it's a good thing I switched to a short acting opioid for the Ibogaine treatment which it turns out is better/more easily treated than the longer acting opioids.

I'd just like to know if anyone has any info on this approach, its success rate, etc. I've heard and read promising stuff over the years, and I'm not concerned with warnings about "toxicity" and such. Anything at all would be appreciated. My tolerance is once again sky high (24 mg of IV Hydromorphone gets me feeling a little better than "right" so I'm sure that's gonna factor into how the Ibogaine treatment will be administered (longer time with the "trip" and possible subsequent doses?). Will I have to stop the Dex several days before?

Thanks in advance for anything y'all might be able to tell me that the rest of the web can't. I am not going back on maintenance, so I'm really hopeful as this is pretty much a final option.

Muchas Gracias!

Last edited:
Jesus, a whole day and not one person can even reply with "something"? Not even a fuck off? Did I "offend" someone or something? This place is a lame shell of what it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus, a whole day and not one person can even reply with "something"? Not even a fuck off? Did I "offend" someone or something? This place is a lame shell of what it used to be.
There's probably just a lack of people on here that have used ibogaine treatment for opiate wd/cessation. From the research I have done it is great for this purpose with close to an 80% success rate. I was also a heroin addict but went to methadone then rapidly to reduction to cessation over 2 months. It's true BL doesn't get the same traffic that it used to (so less people to answer you). Also, ibogaine treatment is still relatively esoteric. Anyways, chill man, do the research you can to find the most well regarded ibogaine treatment centers and go from there. Try not to get jaded and I wish you the best of luck.

Agree with the poster above...

This is quite a serious topic, not the regular "can I mix X with Y and not have a bad trip"

People have literally died from iboga, so probably better if you dont get bunch of shitty advice from randos.
We still have quality posters here, but most of the normie drug crowd is on reddit nowadays.

Give it a few days and im sure one of the veterans will post something worthwile.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I've heard are bad experiences with it..

Maybe you could try tapering off methadone again instead of jumping off like that?

I'm on 145 mg maintenance myself and can't imagine cold turkeying it.

Would you be willing to do maintenance again and taper? There's a 6 month program here for that in the clinics.

If you are deadset on doing iboga treatment I hope it works and you have a decent experience... I wonder if you could try something like Ayahuasca or mescaline instead? I've heard better things from those treatments.

All the best

Jesus, a whole day and not one person can even reply with "something"? Not even a fuck off? Did I "offend" someone or something? This place is a lame shell of what it used to be. Get fucked.

Hey there, I'm not knowledgeable about the problems associated with your situation. But I can tell you why bluelight might be slow for a while. One sweet guy of the iconic bluelight crew just passed away last month. It's a bitter pill to swallow for all of us who knew him. So please forgive people for not giving the kind of rapid and empathic response you might have seen here before. Someone with something to add to your topic, which is a dragon of its own of course, will show up eventually I'm sure.

Btw, my friend who has helped several addicts get out of H habit, has told me had alot of success with using Ketamine for the initial wd.

Now of course there is a risc of switching habits here.
But its worth to at least read about.

Probably not the best idea to just buy a bunch of ket and freestyle.
Best case scenario would be if someone could stay with you for some time and help out.

That way you could just try to be in bed while he takes care of your basic needs and gives you a line or injection once the discomfort takes over.

Just brainstorming here, not trying to give medical advice.

The media is stuffed full of people saying ibogaine is a 'silver bullet' for the treatment of drug dependence, particularly opioid addiction.

But thankfully people on BL are aware that it is not a safe drug. People die. It appears to of some value i.e. improved outcomes in a subset of patients but at 12 months but it was quite a small subset.

I would also suggest that it's very important to know exactly what different providers are offering. Their is no standard for ibogaine therapy and no agreed upon dose regime and quite lax safety standards in many nations.

Ibogaine sounds up there with DMT and Salvia in terms of the "god/goddess" psychs to me. Wanna +5?

I'd just reading @Xorkoth trip report from when he did. If I was on opiates, I reckon I'd try. Maybe find a legit pharma/someone who knows what they're doing too though.

Ibogaine, even in it's pure form, can produce serious and indeed fatal side-effects.

It's just too toxic although it MAY yield safer derivatives.

I find it deeply unsettling that it's so unregulated, especially with totally unqualified people offering medical treatments using what is, after all, an unlicensed drug. I've known opiate addicts who have considered it a DLR but it's just not THAT effective.

Hi everyone.

(Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so apologies if this isn't the forum...please move it where it belongs, thanks.)

I'm going to try Ibogaine treatment for opioid/opiate addiction. I'm not going to do it myself. I moved to the EU 2 years ago and I've done research on which clinics seem the most reputable in the continent. As I'm sure most everyone knows, it's not actively approved/legal in many developed nations. In the EU, all my research indicates that Portugal is the country of choice for my purpose. I'll be going to a clinic, haven't scheduled a date yet but I'd like it to be within a week or two.

I'll include some pertinent information that will give anyone who might have info of any kind on this subject, hopefully but not necessarily by personal experience, that might help me.

I'm a 48 year old male, started doing heroin when I lived in Thailand 25 years ago. Since then I've had years on opioids and years off them. When I was off them I was doing something else (usually crystal methamphetamine) - but there's no meth in Belgium where I currently live, just crappy street "speed paste," which isn't even 5% the potency of what I had every day in LA where I lived for 9 years. Why the hell they don't have crystal here blows my mind; Eastern Europe is flooded with it, but I won't say any more about that. When I moved here I hadn't used any opioids/opiates for 6 years. But a couple months after I arrived here I developed sciatica, and while my legal residence status was in the process of getting approved, surgery was out of the question as I would've had to pay for it out of pocket. The pain was fucking SEVERE; from the small of my back, running all the way down my left leg to my foot, it felt as if I had molten lead coursing through the center of my leg. In the beginning it would flare up erratically and sometimes it was days with no pain, then flare-up again. I tried every non-invasive treatment I could afford and nothing made a dent. Within 6 months I was in pain every day, and my doctor started prescribing analgesics. I didn't mention my history as I was in too much pain to care about taking the risk that they could take over my life again. I started with Oxycodone, but couldn't get a script of IR any higher than 10 mg per pill, and I needed at least 40 mg to manage the pain. Morphine was useless. We all know orally its bioavailability is shit, maybe 20% after first pass metabolism. He then prescribed me Hydromorphone (useless orally for me as well so that means IV), but soon thereafter I started Methadone again, worked up to 140 mg within a month and stayed on it for half a year or so until my residence and citizenship status was finally finished, which meant I could get the surgery for free basically. I did, and it worked perfectly; no more pain, no complications.

However...I was once again dependent on opioids. I've been on both Methadone and Buprenorphine maintenance for a couple years at a time over the last 20 years, but I hate being on maintenance. So I jumped off cold, 140 mg dose a day, and tried to ease the first 2 weeks' misery with Xanax, Dextroamphetamine (which I'm prescribed for ADD, 60 mg a day for years now), weed, etc. I lost patience with that approach. Too much hassle, too little benefit. So, I went back to my regular doc and asked for Hydromorphone again (it's called Palladone here) and I asked him to prescribe the highest dose he could. IR was only 2.6 mg, so that would have been useless, so I instead started getting 8mg ER capsules, which I would break down, prep and IV. Fast forward to today, I've been on the local Dilaudid for about half a year, and I shoot roughly 20 some mg 4 times a day. Turns out it's a good thing I switched to a short acting opioid for the Ibogaine treatment which it turns out is better/more easily treated than the longer acting opioids.

I'd just like to know if anyone has any info on this approach, its success rate, etc. I've heard and read promising stuff over the years, and I'm not concerned with warnings about "toxicity" and such. Anything at all would be appreciated. My tolerance is once again sky high (24 mg of IV Hydromorphone gets me feeling a little better than "right" so I'm sure that's gonna factor into how the Ibogaine treatment will be administered (longer time with the "trip" and possible subsequent doses?). Will I have to stop the Dex several days before?

Thanks in advance for anything y'all might be able to tell me that the rest of the web can't. I am not going back on maintenance, so I'm really hopeful as this is pretty much a final option.

Muchas Gracias!
Maybe have a look here :

https://bluelight.org/xf/threads/ibogaine-40-articles.913357/

The media is stuffed full of people saying ibogaine is a 'silver bullet' for the treatment of drug dependence, particularly opioid addiction.

But thankfully people on BL are aware that it is not a safe drug. People die. It appears to of some value i.e. improved outcomes in a subset of patients but at 12 months but it was quite a small subset.

I would also suggest that it's very important to know exactly what different providers are offering. Their is no standard for ibogaine therapy and no agreed upon dose regime and quite lax safety standards in many nations.

The real issue is that people in general are looking for silver bullets.
Iboga seems to be wonderful to get a shortterm break from bad habits.

But in the longterm people need to actually do the work it takes to change their life.
This goes for everything and not just drug abuse.
Most people are addicts in different ways, but few can accept that it takes hard work to actually make a lifestyle shift.

Ibogaine really needs a double-blind study with naltrexone (for example) to compare long-term outcomes. The paper I found wasn't of great quality as they cherry-picked a sub-set of people who had gone through the treatment.

Because ibogaine is both psychedelic and toxic, how would one design a double-blind trial? Use another naturally occurring drug that is also psychedelic and toxic - mescaline for example?

Because you have to inform people of the dangers for ethical reasons, people would KNOW if they were given the placebo.

Because ibogaine is both psychedelic and toxic, how would one design a double-blind trial? Use another naturally occurring drug that is also psychedelic and toxic - mescaline for example?
Mescaline, toxic? You might want to do some more research... Even Iboga I would hardly consider toxic.

Both of them cause nausea, hypertension, tachycardia and so on which are all toxic symptoms. - physiological responses. I suggested mescaline BECAUSE it produces those side-effects. Don't conflate the term toxin with the term toxic.

Yeah, you're still talking out your arse. A toxin is defined as "causing disease when present at low concentration in the body."
Plus, nausea =/=toxicity. Mescaline causes hypertension??? Please provide source. Why are you posting...

Which is why I used the term TOXIC and not TOXIN.

There you go.

I'm PRESUMING you know what the term 'hypertension' actually means.

BTW it isn't as if it's a secret that mescaline produces toxic side-effects, it is listed in MANY places which kind of suggests you know nothing whatsoever about the drug.

Last edited:
It says "an increase in blood pressure." Freaking cheese can cause that. Is cheese a toxin? If all these things that can cause slight increases in blood pressure are toxins, what is the point in labeling mescaline a toxin for this reason?

You also just told me to not "conflate toxic with toxin," yet you literally just said, "psychedelic and toxic - mescaline for example" ...

Come on, man. Think about what you're trying to say or do with your words.

No - acute hypertension is specifically defined by the WHO as (160/95 mmHg or higher). That isn't a SLIGHT increase. That's considered an immediate risk to health. Things like heart attack, stroke, aortic aneurysm...

If you hadn't realized, that list is of clinically significant side-effects.

You would have to have a problem with processing MAOs for cheese to raise blood pressure that high.

So first you state a fact to be untrue... then when proven wrong, you play down the fact. Interesting tactic.

Why don't YOU politely ask for a reference rather than descending into playground taunts? It's what us adults do.

Last edited:
Did you even read the encyclopedia article you linked? Where does it say "Hypertension"? Where does it says it goes above 160/95?

I'm just gonna ignore the "us adults" comment.