Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ibogaine For Heroin Addiction?

Rastahund

Bluelighter
Hi there,
My boyfriend's brother is heavily addicted to heroin. He's at the point now where he wants to stop but the physical withdrawls are just too much for him. We have some Ibogaine and suggested it to my boyfriend's parents as treatment. He said he would do some really extensive research before they came to the conclusion whether it's right for his brother or not.
Now, he’s never experienced any psychedelics… I don’t know him too well but my impression is that he’s only ever been into street drugs (Heroin, Meth, Coke-type drugs) and Marijuana. My boyfriend and I are both experienced in psychedelics from mushrooms to DMT and we're preparing for our first and only Ayahuasca experience. The owner of the Ibogaine has experienced everything from mushrooms to Ayahuasca, having done all of them several times. So we have no doubt in our abilities to be able to support him on a psychedelic level and help to keep him calm. His mother also wants to be there during the experience and talk him through his issues.
I've started taking notes... I have things like the origin, uses in other countries, legality in this country and general side effects but I'm still a little unclear about the deeper aspects of the side effects. I also understand that it helps the physical withdrawls but not the mental ones. And also that it can be dangerous if you’ve ingested any drugs (at all) or food with CP450 because of the receptors in the brain that it works on.
Has anyone tried it? Known anyone that underwent treatment in a Canadian or Mexican clinic? I'd like to get some knowledge, experiences and opinions from real people as well as the websites I've been researching. I also have about a page of information from the book "Plants of the Gods" which was my text book in my Anthropology of Drugs class.
Also another question- where does Ibogaine stand in the intensity of the level of experience? From my experience and knowledge, it goes: mushrooms, LSD, Mescaline, Peyote, DMT, Ayahuasca… so where does Ibogaine stand in that list?
Anyone’s and everyone’s input would be the most helpful for us in deciding if this is the right thing for him!

i've done iboga alkaloids (just an extract of the plant) not pure ibogaine but i hate to see people put all their hopes in this drug. In terms of intensity, it's like DMT or salvia in that you are basically fully immersed in visuals. The experience is unique and interesting. It's also dangerous, can cause seizures and should only be administered by a medical team that can monitor the patient, not some dude or experienced psychedelic users. It's also true that it will only diminish the physical withdrawals and tolerance. Every single drug addict will tell you the physical withdrawals are nothing, i don't care how bad they are, they are temporary and will go away. Heroin withdrawals aren't even deadly to a healthy person. The extreme mental cravings afterwards though, the PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) and the painful recovery (having to relearn how to live) are the real issues and ibogaine cannot help with those.

i've done iboga alkaloids (just an extract of the plant) not pure ibogaine but i hate to see people put all their hopes in this drug. In terms of intensity, it's like DMT or salvia in that you are basically fully immersed in visuals.
sounds interesting - may I ask at which dosage levels you have experienced such full-blown psychedelic effects? how long did they last?

It's also true that it will only diminish the physical withdrawals and tolerance.
isn't it exactly the other way round? isn't it very dangerous to ingest ibogaine if there are still opioids in the body? and is the idea of the anti-addictive action not that the psychedelic experience and insights gained from it contribute a large deal to the anti-addictive properties of iboga, what would mean that the anti-addiciton effect would be more psychical than physical?

The psychedelic aspect doesn't play a huge role in treating the addiction. If that were the case LSD would cure addiction. Ibogaine resets opiate receptors somehow, it is a physical response. I can add more later typing on my phone right now

Just bumping up the thread. I read this and the comments and DO NOT send him to suboxone or methadone!!! It is not even close to being clean and don't let anyone tell u different. Fyi I did both! Ibogaine is the best answer. I was on methadone and a month before treatment switch to a SAO and even with the sao I still have mild withdrawl from horrible methadone!! Got to Mexico for treatment and haven't looked back! Methadone and suboxone r the devil that have made my addiction as well as hundreds of friends and acquaintances drug habits worse! The detox is so much worse than heroine!! I detoxed 6 weeks off 2mg of methadone before turning back to the needle. And I did everything humanly possible to stop! Ibogaine was my only friend that worked! Suboxone is NOT being clean. Ask those people what they would do if they missed 2 days of dose? Lol those "sober" ppl would b right back out there I put my life on it! Clean means abstinence. Maintenance programs r fine IF you r honest with yourself that you are never going to be clean and that you can know you will be on this med till you die! My methadone clinic had quite a few 70 something patients. And they all can barely walk now because methadone is known to be involved with osteoporosis and osteopenia! Make sure you research it before you let someone who hasn't lived this hell pull the rug over your face! Resesrch ibogaine. ..it might not b for u but I pray it is because it affects you mentally and physically. And as science has proven most addicts have mental problems with addiction. That's why ibogaine works! Without mental clarity I received from my trip I would not be clean!

Ibogaine is nothing like lcd...do ur research!! It's a come back to earth drug not let's go travel the stars drug!! The trip is all introverted! All internal and spiritual. And lcd has actually been proven to help with ptsd. That's why the American government is working with several Dr's trying to get the drug to work without the psychedelic properties. But what they are learning and several people are arguing is that u need the trip in order to come to some mental conclusion. Some doctors don't believe that's true but the vast majority are saying you do need those properties present for the treatment to work in its entirety. That's like saying if you just stop shooting up and keep thinking the way you do Ull b fine!! Even traditional rehabs say that's not true! So why would u dare say that you don't need to go within yourself and go through all your mental files and clean them out?? Clearly you have NOT had the experience or an addiction.