• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism is it ok to vape?

Blazin_22

Greenlighter
Ok, so I smoked cigs all the time, slowed down on weed. I started having chest problems so my doctor sent me for a chest x-ray, after that came back he ordered more test and they found out i have a pulmonary embolism. Along with one decent sized clot. I had to stay in the hospital for a while and i told them I only toked every now and then. When I was leaving I was afraid to bring up weed but they said I had to quit cigs, so I brought up vaping tobbacoo and they said it still wasnt a good idea that I should quit. So i did that. But now im looking into getting a vaporizer for weed but cant find any good info online about if it would be ok to do with my problem. What do you think? Should I give up and only eat it or go the vape route? Would vaping really effect it at all?

marijuana is a weak vasodialator and can lower your blood pressure. you should mention this to your doctor.

i would think that vaping is harmless in your situation, but im not a doctor.

also, pulmonary embolism can be caused by being motionless for a long time (like a10 hour flight). a clot forms in the leg and moves to the lung. so if you are getting high and playing wow for 12 hour a day that could be bad.

I've though about your situation throughout the day Blazin_22, and I don't see any easy answers. I get that you are a regular pot smoker, and are comfortable with this, and don't want to quit. I've that's the situation, or something close to that, I'd try to be as frank as possible with my doctor, and find his opinion. I'm going to pose this to my sister-in-law, a respiratory therapist, and see what she thinks. I'll post back with the answer, if I get one.

Thank you. Please do that if you could. Im 21 but i dont even know if he knows what vaping is and would probally tell me to just stay away from putting anything in my lungs for now at least. Do you think eating it in brownies, cookies or firecrackers would do any harm?

Oh and to the first response, they think the reason i got it is due to Factor V Leiden which is a hereditary disease. He said theyre two versions of it (cant remember specific names) and i have the least serious version but should always be aware that im at a higher risk than the average person to get a another clot in the future.

Since I'm not a medical professional, and cannabis has systemic action, I'm going to refrain for advising you about the safety of ingesting cannabis in any form. You have what's obviously a serious health condition, and Bluelight is probably not the best place find advice for your very specific, and potentially life threating medical condition.
Your best resources are going to be your health care providers, the ones that have knowledge of your condition and it's seriousness. If your doctor is not forthcoming, and continues to avoid the issue (continuing use vs. long term health), you may try forums for pulmonoligists or other professionals that handle respiratory illnesses.
I'll certainly ask my sister-in-law, but you really should seek professional advice while being frank about your situation.

Follow the advice of your doctor, he is the only person who can give you safe information regarding your situation.

Thanks. Thing is ive seriously cut back. I havent touched the stuff in at least a month and just got this diagnosis. Theres this concert coming up in october that i really want to be high at. Im more of a (prescribed to me) pill and alcohol person and have been for a little while. I did use to be a major pothead but kinda grew out of it but dont want to never do it again. Especially at the concert. After today I dont see that doctor until sept. 23...I just dont know what to do til then. He said literally 99.99% of people hes seen in my condition make it out fine and usually dont ever have another clot. But I let this particular one go to far to the point where a very small piece of my lung has died but that with time the brain and body will heal it and as long as we can get the clot to absorb away everything will be fine. He said at this point its not very life-threatening at all. If you could give me a few sites I could go to to ask about this it would be very appriciated.

You'll need to do that research yourself, I'm not tied into the pulmonary medicine circles around the internets, ya know?
If you're here asking about it, it's serious enough for you that you're concerned. Follow through with that concern, and take this opportunity to be frank with your doctor. You just need to be honest with him, hiding your pot use from a doctor treating you for a serious lung condition is not going to help you get better if you still wish to engage in your old lifestyle.

Ok thanks. Ive looked at a bunch of ask professional sites and none seem to fit my situation. The only reason I came here is because a while ago a friend of mine told me about this place and how you could get safty answers concerning use. I think im going to have to first ask my general practioner because as I said I dont see that doctor for three months and take it from there. Thanks for the advice. I would still like to know what your sister-in-laws thoughts about this are if you dont mind private messaging me sometime.

If I were in you situation I would stick to eating cannabis. Once you learn how to do it right you can get high as dog shit trust me bro. PM me if you want more info on how to cook.

If I were in you situation I would stick to eating cannabis. Once you learn how to do it right you can get high as dog shit trust me bro. PM me if you want more info on how to cook.

I don't think you're able to say eating marijuana is safe in this situation. I think the most that can be said is that oral marijuana is probably the least risky option of smoking, vaping, and orally ingested pot. But none of us really know, and cannabis raises heart rate, and sometimes BP, and has other systemic actions. Eat it if you're not going to ask a doctor... no matter what. But please, just call up the doctor that treated you and ask for a quick 5 minute consult.

so you have hypercoagulable blood due to an inborn error in the clotting cascade. any damage to your body could increase the chance of developing a clot. that certainly includes your lungs.

but vaping is pretty easy on the lungs...

but you should still absolutely consult a physician about this. most wont really be surprised that you like pot.

Ok, so I smoked cigs all the time, slowed down on weed. I started having chest problems so my doctor sent me for a chest x-ray, after that came back he ordered more test and they found out i have a pulmonary embolism. Along with one decent sized clot. I had to stay in the hospital for a while and i told them I only toked every now and then. When I was leaving I was afraid to bring up weed but they said I had to quit cigs, so I brought up vaping tobbacoo and they said it still wasnt a good idea that I should quit. So i did that. But now im looking into getting a vaporizer for weed but cant find any good info online about if it would be ok to do with my problem. What do you think? Should I give up and only eat it or go the vape route? Would vaping really effect it at all?
Hey I know this is an old thread but I am curious if you ever received an answer about whether vaping medical marijuana was harmful after recent blood clots in your lungs

No it is not safe for you to vape. Switch to eating herb but talk to your doctor first and tell him about any other drugs you use.

I'd do what your doc says, but if you want a stranger's advice, do not vape anything, thc or nicotine. Maybe eat CBD capsules from a reliable source, but I am pretty sure both THC and nicotine raise your heart rate, among increasing other risk factors.