I used my Dad's credit card...i need help now.

The Chemist

Bluelighter
So basically my dad kicked me out of his house a little over a week ago, i have since returned to live with him since i am still in Highschool.

Upon me leaving, he gave me $21 and his Credit/debit card. So me, being the opportunist--or idiot--i am, i used the card to buy $400 worth of new clothes.

Today, my father told me he has talked to an attourney about this, it is obviously a federal offense, and i am thinking like 5-10 years prison time if i get convicted...

At this point i believe i have two options:

a) tell my dad i'm sorry, convince him to give me time to get a job and pay him back as fast as possible.

b) say fuck it, take the consequences like a man.

There is a previous offense to my record though: i already have a Level 5, 3 person felony (this is bad, in case you didn't know)

Please, help me.

thanks, Chemist.

Definitely go with choice a) man

I'm sure if you told the truth your father would forgive you

This isn't the kind of thing you wanna blow off it's best to be honest

I doubt that any conviction will come about if he gave you the credit card.

So basically my dad kicked me out of his house a little over a week ago, i have since returned to live with him since i am still in Highschool.

Upon me leaving, he gave me $21 and his Credit/debit card. So me, being the opportunist--or idiot--i am, i used the card to buy $400 worth of new clothes.

Today, my father told me he has talked to an attourney about this, it is obviously a federal offense, and i am thinking like 5-10 years prison time if i get convicted...

a) tell my dad i'm sorry, convince him to give me time to get a job and pay him back as fast as possible.

There is a previous offense to my record though: i already have a Level 5, 3 person felony (this is bad, in case you didn't know)

Please, help me.

thanks, Chemist.

Theres no way this is a federal offense and you wont evenget anything close to 5-10. That is besides the point id go with option A there is no reason you should take an conviction on your record if charges can be avoided its hard enough to find work in todays economy. So without a doubt choice option A if possible if not higher a good laywer or take a plea bargin on some lesser charges.

why did he give you the card.? sounds silly in the first place.

did you buy stuff on camera? i mean credit card fraud happens all the time...

and yeah, id go with option 1. 400 dollars is not worth jail time. im sure your father would understand that.

lol !!!! your not going to get 5 to 10 years in prison for essentially stealing $400!!! you would have to rob a fucking bank to get a sentence like that8)

your dads a dumbass to give you the card if he didnt expect you to use it, I really cant see a father letting his son go to jail for years over this, at all. Talk to him about it, tell him how dumb you were, I cant see him sending you to jail

go with a its your dad he would give you a chance if you really proved to him that you are sorry

I don't see him being able to file a charge on you for misuse of a credit card that HE gave you. maybe if you had taken it without his permission. but if he gave it to you then it's his own fault, I don't believe they can actually charge you with that he is just trying to scare you, also even if they did charge you, you would not get 5-10 years(by the way federal prisons are waay nicer than state prisons fyi) you would get more like probation with a suspended sentence of like 120 days but no years lol. but I really don't think they can charge you though. on a related note, he kicks you out and the thing you spend the money on is four hundred dollars worth of clothes? no hotel room, or food, but 400 in clothes? what the hell is that?

your dad willingly gave you his card; you didn't steal it, right? there's no criminal case here. his only recourse would be in civil court and even then he'd have a hard time getting a judgment against you cuz he gave you permission to use the card. just to keep the peace in the house, return the clothes or pay him back. and I wouldn't accept his card again. best of luck to you.
-izzy

izzy66 is correct. You didn't break the law, and he really doesn't have any recourse. He voluntarily gave you his card, and didn't give you a limit, so you had every right.

Dude its not even grand theft. You should talk to your father about this and kiss some ass, hard.

"Upon me leaving, he gave me $21 and his Credit/debit card. So me, being the opportunist--or idiot--i am, i used the card to buy $400 worth of new clothes."

"Today, my father told me he has talked to an attourney about this, it is obviously a federal offense, and i am thinking like 5-10 years prison time if i get convicted..."

What crime took place? If he in fact gave the card to you as you say, there is no real crime here.
I am more concerned with why you are so worried about the certainty of the punishment for this and it leads me to believe that the card was not given to you at all. It was stolen. That or he is telling his attorney it was.
There really are a lot of gaps in the information we have at hand. Fragments at best. With bits and pieces left out here and there. We kind of need a full detailed explanation to offer any advice worth a damn.

Hi. I'm sorry to hear of your situation. When I read your post, I noticed there were some things that were somewhat inconsistent. Not to say I don't believe you or your story, but I do have some questions which might fill in the holes I see in your story.

How did your father come to be upset about the charges on his card? He can't have honestly believed that giving you $21 was going to be the last thing he ever did as a parent with you no longer living in his home. On top of that, you state that he gave you his debit card (as you were leaving, I presume). Did he think that the cash would tide you over indefinitely? With his card, you could have easily racked up more than just $400 paying for food, transportation, and motel rooms in a few short days. What's he REALLY mad about?

I'm not trying to diminish the importance of credit card fraud here, but using your father's debit card with his permission (indicated by the fact that he gave it to you) is hardly illegal. Unless your father is the type of guy who wants to set you up for an extended vacation to a correctional facility. 8o These days, people give their kids their own debit cards, or don't think twice about letting them use theirs [the parents']. He's going to have one heck of a time trying to honestly justify any charges regarding this in court if he did, in fact, give you the card.

That said, I just kinda want to touch on one more thing here. If you didn't steal the debit card, you shouldn't have to worry about any consequences. But, some dads are hard asses. That's just the way they are. Dads like to know their kids are accountable and responsible, so my advice to you is to man up, and get yourself a little part-time gig somewhere and "offer" to pay him back (and really, I don't think you should have to pay him back at all, but it's the gesture we're looking for here) at your earliest convenience just to be able to restore the peace. And again, if he offers to allow you to use his debit/credit card, don't accept it unless he's going to be present while you're making purchases. That's the only way you can cover your ass if a similar situation comes up in the future.

Good luck, do let us know how this turns out.

Please, help me.

thanks, Chemist.

I'd say admitting you were wrong and trying to do the right thing which you listed as a) would mostly be recognized as being a man, not just going to jail for it. That has nothing to do with being a man at all.

Well you fucked up for sure, and knew you were fucking up while doing it most likely. Theres no shame in becoming your dads bitch to get the situation worked out somehow, considering your previous offences, ect. Good luck with it :\