• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants I Treat My Hypotension With Caffeine - Your Opinions??

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
[a/n - I really wasn't sure where to post this, so, Mods, do your thing! ;) ]

I generally suffer hypotension that varies quite often. I always have very mild hypotension, but have "episodes" where it becomes either mild-moderate or moderate where I have symptoms. Orthostatic hypotension is the main issue. That one varies SIGNIFICANTLY more than general hypotension and can be anywhere from very mild to severe. Anywhere from just getting slightly dizzy, vision a little fuzzy if I stand up too quickly to severe where if I'm in a sitting or crouching position it can take me two entire minutes (a LOT longer than you think) to stand back up and even then I'll get extremely dizzy with fuzzy blackening vision and have to immediately drop back to a fully sitting position on the floor no matter where I am or I will lose consciousness.
Basically when I elevate my position (lying to sitting, sitting to crouching, crouching to standing etc) my diastolic pressure pretty much flat-lines.

Obviously when this gets severe I go to the hospital as it can be dangerous, but when it is mild or moderate I treat it with caffeine. I don't take caffeine pills, but I'll have something like a double espresso or a large can of energy drink* and it genuinely works. Usually that amount of caffeine (probably in the area of 150-200mg) is enough to relieve all symptoms. Sometimes I'll have to repeat this like 4-6 hours later but I've never had to do it more than twice in one day.
I actually told my doctor about this (he's an amazing doctor and an amazing person and I trust him completely so I am extremely open and honest with him about everything)...basically told him "I treat it with caffeine" and explained it the same way I just did to you guys. He kinda laughed a little (good-naturedly) and said "Well, that would certainly work" and while he said that it's not something a medical professional would officially prescribe or even advise, he approved of what I was doing as long as I didn't start feeling the need to increase my caffeine doses.

I'm curious what you guys think about this? Do you think it's all good if it works for me and my doctor knows and is okay with it? Do you think it's a fucking stupid idea? Any concerns?

*sugar-free, I'm a T1D