• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol I think someone's overdosed but I don't know PLEASE HELP

isaaccain

Bluelighter
Ok so me and my dad are on holiday and he drinks quite a bit, so being on holiday and having no sleepers he's been drinking a bottle or two of vodka a night (maybe 400-800ml). We're in Prague so I don't know if the vodka is stronger than 50% or something but I SAW him drink a full 400ml bottle, which isn't tons for him, but I don't know if he mixed it with his Rx codeine pills or if he had more when I was out or snuck it or what because he seemed way drunker than ever. I said I was going for a shower and about 20 minutes later he came looking for me and then when I got out told me he had 'just shit himself because he thought he'd lost me'. I even thought he might be hallucinating. Then he said 'Do you want to go out clubbing?' and I'm 14 and he would never say that even if he was drunk. He was only speaking in non sensical sentances of less than a dozen words taht don't relate to anything. Then he went to sleep but he keeps making really loud coughing and choking and spluttering noises and he doesn't really even seem to be able to talk AT ALL. He's moving around and stuff in his bed but whenever I speak to him he won't answer me and I turned the light on to wake him up and said 'Dad, take a drink, you keep coughing' and he said something like 'Oh... thanks... can you... ughhh...... yeah, the... thanks' really slurred he won't stop coughing and choking and it's actually frightening me AND WHEN I SAY REALLY SLURRED WRITING IT OUT WILL NOT DO JUSTICE OF HOW LITTLE ANYTHING HE SAYS MAKES SENSE OR REASSURES ME THAT HE HASN'T LOST 50% OF HIS BRAIN MASS. He also keeps weezing like whooping cough when you inhale sharply but can't get any air and it make's me thing he's choking on something but I didn't hear him throw up or anything PLEASE SHOULD I CALL THE HOSPITAL I DON'T HAVE A PHONE OR ANYTHING BUT HE DOES BUT ITS BROKE I WOULD GO TO THE FRONT DESK AND ASK THEM TO CALL 112 AND USE THE PHONE BUT I DON'T KNOW PLEASE HELP

Yea call an ambulance IMO.

I remember a story on here not too long ago about someone in a similar situation where The person was not getting enough oxygen and went into a coma and had brain damage. Best not to game the chance especially if this is out of the ordinary.

Its not like anyone Will get in trouble it's just alcohol. There is literally no down side to going to the ER.

If you are worried take him. Better safe than sorry.

^ This! When in doubt go to the ER the worst that will happen is you waste their time and your dad's fine.

I damn near comaed myself on a bottle of Whiskey and a wack of benzos about 2 years ago. It wasn't scary for me at the time (was scary for my cat who couldn't wake me and was scary for my brother who couldn't wake me up no matter how hard he tried) but the bad case of nerves didn't really kick in until a few days later. Thankfully my brother had the sense to check my pulse and breathing and since it was normal just kept a eye on me instead of having me wake up in the ER. I got lucky there because i know alot of people that have died taking less drugs then that.

So yeah my advice in short is take him to the ER

400-800 ml of Vodka? Sounds like he is seriously dependent on alcohol and at times your stuck to play parent at such a young age. When in doubt call 911 but it sounds like he needs alot more than acute care . I'm all for recreational drug use but that amount of vodka IMO goes well beyond what is safe.

Yes call emergency services, if you don't have a phone go to the front desk of the hotel and ask them to call for your dad.

You shouldnt have to deal with that at your age kid. He needs help, as you've just described alcoholism. Codeine and alcohol will put him into respiratory distress. Is there nobody in your family old enough to talk with, to get him to deal with his booze dependence? In future, if this happens, call an ambulance immediately. I hope he was all right and sobered up, but you need help to handle these situations. I would suggest contacting Al-anon/alateen. There are meetings in most countries worldwide.

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

You can find help and advice here, and I strongly suggest getting in touch.

It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry... I hope you took him in. Sorry you have to deal with that shit at your age, I know it's not fun. I hated dealing with that crap when I was young. :-\

UPDATE: He was fine, his breathing went back to normal but I kept waking him up to make sure he was alright, which he wasn't really but it seemed like it kept him breathing. Anyway he was well enough to get the train out the Amsterdam today so we're alright.
About anyone who was talking about alcoholism don't bother he's had ex wives, step children (not me I don't bitch at him) and psychiatrists telling him about all that and I think he wouldn't have any problem if it wasn't legal. He quit amphetamines and heroin no problem but because you can just go to a store and get a bottle of vodka for a tenner I can appreciate that it's gotta be hard

Oh and they were pure codeine 30mg, when I looked this morning (I've got tendon damage going on so I take them too) there was one left out of about 7 that were there and he lost one trying to take it out of the blister pack so I guess he had 150mg, but I'd be a hypocrite if I complained about that. I think if there was APAP he'd have suffered from some kinda liver failure but that's why he stopped taking his 30/500s in the first place

I'm actually p embarrassed bc I've had some breathing depression a few times myself and didn't give a shit every time but then that happened and I really freaked out lmao

Glad to hear all is well. You are very mature for your age (old soul maybe). Be safe and make sure to take care of yourself.