• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I take my first Vivitrol shot in a few hours, but I did heroin less then 12 hours ago

sick with it

Greenlighter
Hey guys I did something stupid, maybe?

I am scheduled to take my first Vivitol shot in a few hours. But I did 5-6 shots of heroin yesterday. Before that I was clean for 3+ weeks. So I only have one days worth of heroin in my system. Basically I quit a few weeks ahead of time like I was supposed to. But when 'the day before the shot' came I basically panicked and decided I wanted to get high one last time. I did around .3ish if I had to guess. Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I am 98% sure that what I did yesterday was Fentanyl. I don't know if that means anything in regards to half-life, etc.

So is that going to be an issue? I know all about precipitated withdrawal, but my understanding was that it would only put you in WD if you were going to WD in the first place if you had stopped taking Opiates then, and that it basically just condensed your 5-6 days of WD in to a hellish 6-12 hours.

So since I wouldn't come anywhere close to withdrawing in a vacuum based off of the few shots I did yesterday I figured that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And that basically anything I had in my system that was still making me feel well would be gone, but that I wouldn't go into full fledged WD either.

How accurate was my take on it? Will I be fine, or did I really fuck up and it's going to hit me like a bus running me over at 100mph?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT

So I was reading through old threads regarding Vivitrol and PWD, and saw someone who got bad PWD from taking Vivitrol while only having a Kratom habit. I have been taking Kratom daily for 2+ years now at pretty high doses. I guess I assumed that the PWD related to Kratom wouldn't be very significant since Kratoms WD, while uncomfortable, are not that bad compared to real opiates. But apparently you can get pretty bad PWD from Kratom. This puts a new damper on things, I hadn't considered that Kratom would really be an issue before now. So I guess I'll ask them for a Naltrexone pill first to test the water and then go from there.

Vivitrol seems to effect people in wildly different ways. I was reading some threads today where people use once or twice immediately before receiving the shot (anywhere from 12 hours, to 15 minutes before the shot) and had no negative effect what-so-ever. And then there are situations where people who weren't even physically addicted to opiates gave themselves 3 days since their last use and STILL ended up with PWD.

I also hear people say that they are able to start getting somewhat high again at day 14, and then some people say that they aren't able to get high until at least 40 days after getting the shot.
It makes it very hard to figure things out when there is such a wide range of outcomes. Perhaps I will ask for a Naltrexone pill first to test the waters and to make sure I don't put myself in multiple days of agony.

Last edited:
If you've been taking kratom in high doses and also took shots of heroin you will most likely experience some symptoms of PWD. That being said, your 3 weeks of sobriety probably will dull some of those symptoms.
I've read so many different reports on Vivitrol that's pretty much the best I can come up with. You may experience nothing and you may experience one hell of a 6-12 hours haha, although realistically you'll probably end up somewhere in the middle. If it's at all possible for you to take a naltrex pill or something prior to getting the shot so you can test the waters I'd definitely recommend that.

Good luck

OP/ 'sick with it' - Let us know how it goes as your experience might be helpful to others.

If you managed to get sober for 3+ weeks, it's clear for me that you on a recovery path and you can go way beyond that. Sometimes recovery can be challenging, but some people start over right after the worst is past, physically speaking of course.

Unfortunately every time we relapse the withdrawals tend to be a bit more harsh on us but since you've taken heroin for just one day you should be able to get back to where you were without bigger problems. And this anticipated withdrawal will make it a clean cut so to speak meaning that you'll get back to where you were very quickly. You can do this!

Keep us posted!! And good luck, we are rooting for you!

Yeah please post some updates when you can. Would like to hear your experience with that. My friend is on that shot and he hates it, makes me scared to go on it at any point in the future....