• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I smoke so much weed and need to cut down

moonyham

Bluelighter
I've smoked weed pretty much daily for 15 years. Since I was a teenager, 17 or so years of age.

It took me a while to realize why I smoke weed. Its to calm me down. Without weed I'm erratic and emotional. I find it impossible to hold my tongue. Get in all sorts of confrontations. My mind races, it feels like I've got 10 thought trains vying for my attention. My energy is out the gate, I can't sit still. Its almost impossible for me to complete any tasks in one go, and I find myself distracted and unable to concentrate or even be entertained by a game or movie for more than 10-30 minutes at a time.

I am quite sure I have adhd and I'm sure this is a big part of this. I have tried ritalin 3 times in my life and I never felt more normal and functional. Pretty sure I got more done in those days than the rest of my life combined. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to get that arranged as someone in their 30s here in NZ.

I smoke about an ounce every 10 days. My girlfriend hates it. We've been together for almost a decade but it's definitely something she wishes wasn't part of our life. She understands the situation though and has seen me and what I'm like when I have had breaks or run out. There are things we both like about me when I'm sober that I am not when I'm stoned. I'm way more creative and do more stuff, although in many parts between a lot of projects because I turn so erratic.

My sleep is probably the most frustrating part. Sleeping without weed in my system is very difficult. My mind races and I can just think about shit until the sun comes up. Not stressing, often about my hobbies or whatever but just.. Thinking.

The biggest break I've had in this time was 3 months. I didn't find anything got easier or that I had 'withdrawals' creating this issues. I felt and acted the same as one week post break as I did 3 month post break. I'll admit there's always a couple of uneasy days right after I stop though.

Anyone find themselves in a similar situation and come to find a better way to manage life? Honestly as crazy as it sounds I've considered just buying a bunch of meth because it's cheap and available, and microdosing essentially to achieve similar effects to ritalin. I've used it before recreationally a dozen times or so and could see it working if managed right. I don't really want to form a meth habit to live a bit more normally though. In saying that I didn't find it hard breaking habits to heroin or oxy when I consumed those daily for a while, so I don't know if the addiction side is particularly worrisome. The only thing I've ever found difficult to stop consuming is weed but maybe that's because it allows me to feel relatively OK, maybe any drug that gave me this would become an issue.

I've smoked weed pretty much daily for 15 years. Since I was a teenager, 17 or so years of age.

It took me a while to realize why I smoke weed. Its to calm me down. Without weed I'm erratic and emotional. I find it impossible to hold my tongue. Get in all sorts of confrontations. My mind races, it feels like I've got 10 thought trains vying for my attention. My energy is out the gate, I can't sit still. Its almost impossible for me to complete any tasks in one go, and I find myself distracted and unable to concentrate or even be entertained by a game or movie for more than 10-30 minutes at a time.

I am quite sure I have adhd and I'm sure this is a big part of this. I have tried ritalin 3 times in my life and I never felt more normal and functional. Pretty sure I got more done in those days than the rest of my life combined. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to get that arranged as someone in their 30s here in NZ.

I smoke about an ounce every 10 days. My girlfriend hates it. We've been together for almost a decade but it's definitely something she wishes wasn't part of our life. She understands the situation though and has seen me and what I'm like when I have had breaks or run out. There are things we both like about me when I'm sober that I am not when I'm stoned. I'm way more creative and do more stuff, although in many parts between a lot of projects because I turn so erratic.

My sleep is probably the most frustrating part. Sleeping without weed in my system is very difficult. My mind races and I can just think about shit until the sun comes up. Not stressing, often about my hobbies or whatever but just.. Thinking.

The biggest break I've had in this time was 3 months. I didn't find anything got easier or that I had 'withdrawals' creating this issues. I felt and acted the same as one week post break as I did 3 month post break. I'll admit there's always a couple of uneasy days right after I stop though.

Anyone find themselves in a similar situation and come to find a better way to manage life? Honestly as crazy as it sounds I've considered just buying a bunch of meth because it's cheap and available, and microdosing essentially to achieve similar effects to ritalin. I've used it before recreationally a dozen times or so and could see it working if managed right. I don't really want to form a meth habit to live a bit more normally though. In saying that I didn't find it hard breaking habits to heroin or oxy when I consumed those daily for a while, so I don't know if the addiction side is particularly worrisome. The only thing I've ever found difficult to stop consuming is weed but maybe that's because it allows me to feel relatively OK, maybe any drug that gave me this would become an issue.
Considering the effects of meth are vastly different from the effects of cannabis, I would think quitting weed to micro-dose meth may send you on a unexpected roller coaster. Especially if you have trouble sleeping due to racing thoughts. JMO

Here here I've smoked weed more or less daily since I was about 14 and I'm 37 now. I'm the same as you around oz every week or so. I actually prefer a joint to a cig. Taste is beautiful and makes u feel relaxed an high.
An ex of mine couldn't stand it . . A good ten years ago and I quit for 2 years . That first week or so wasn't nice at all , night sweats and insomnia with a feeling of anxiety and irritability.
Over time though I was sniffing coke every weekend an spending as much as I did. We broke up after a couple yrs off weed and I started smoking again .
I can if I really need to smoke one gram a day divided into 3 joints (diet joints) morning noon an night but its hard work and your forever clock watching waiting to the next joint.
Surely a tolerance break or cutting right down to X amount a day is alot better safer n healthier than meth?
Just my 2ps worth mate. Good luck what ever you decide

Considering the effects of meth are vastly different from the effects of cannabis, I would think quitting weed to micro-dose meth may send you on a unexpected roller coaster. Especially if you have trouble sleeping due to racing thoughts. JMO
Yeah, didn't really consider this. I've never done meth first thing after I've woken then done nothing else. Only a casual rip when visiting a friend or whatever and usually I'd not sleep that night.. Be interesting to see if I'd be able to sleep at 10-11pm, treating it like a coffee in the morning.
Here here I've smoked weed more or less daily since I was about 14 and I'm 37 now. I'm the same as you around oz every week or so. I actually prefer a joint to a cig. Taste is beautiful and makes u feel relaxed an high.
An ex of mine couldn't stand it . . A good ten years ago and I quit for 2 years . That first week or so wasn't nice at all , night sweats and insomnia with a feeling of anxiety and irritability.
Over time though I was sniffing coke every weekend an spending as much as I did. We broke up after a couple yrs off weed and I started smoking again .
I can if I really need to smoke one gram a day divided into 3 joints (diet joints) morning noon an night but its hard work and your forever clock watching waiting to the next joint.
Surely a tolerance break or cutting right down to X amount a day is alot better safer n healthier than meth?

Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely have a good think and explore plenty of options before considering the meth thing haha. I know how hazardous that could be for sure.

You sound alot like me. Smoked everyday since i was 13 minus a couple probation stints. I also couldn't sleep or stop myself from lashing out. *in considerably violent ways that were gunna get me sent up the river. Than probe at 17 they gave me benzos, that hasnt went great. Don't smoke meth that is nonsense, you really want a meth charge to pop up on your record? I smoke 1.7 grams a day so again right with you. taper it down like any other drug you wish to cease!

Tolerance breaks are the only reason i resent being a heavy daily smoker. I have your solution, smoke on weekends and maybe keep a chillum nearby (state depending) so if you have breakthrough anxiety you can go take a walk and count to ten around the nearest corner....

Honestly as crazy as it sounds I've considered just buying a bunch of meth because it's cheap and available, and microdosing essentially to achieve similar effects to ritalin. I've used it before recreationally a dozen times or so and could see it working if managed right. I don't really want to form a meth habit to live a bit more normally though.
I agree with @Jerry Atrick It's incredibly risky move. I think it takes a very very determined person with Godlike levels of self control to microdose meth like ritalin. Meth is not like ritalin at all. If you have a hard time controlling your weed use, it follows that you will likely have an even more difficult time controlling meth use.

Personally, I am completely powerless to control my meth use, while I can reasonably control my weed use and it's never been a major problem. This is why I avoid meth.

but ultimately it's just opening you up to even greater possible catastrophe

I can think of a few better alternatives, but you are in NZ? Laws might make choices limited.

I think the correct answer here is to realize why you truly use weed and find a non-drug replacement for it.

I can relate to this a lot, I too been smoking daily about the same amount of time with the same results if I quit.

I absolutely hate the clouding of my thoughts when I’m not high, as you said it’s like a ton of thoughts coming at once. When I’m high they slow down to a manageable level where I can process and say or do what I need to.

Right now I’m on a mission to majorly cut back my use, if for nothing else than my lungs which have been struggling lately. If I find a way I’ll let you know ;)

-GC

My idea also , no meth it will only exacerbate problem's.

A minimized Cannabis habit is way more functional. And medical. That is the way I do it at the moment. 3/ 4 x times a day with CBD weed added.

I stopped drinking and got cut off my ADHD med's (dex_Amphetamine) before that.

Cannabis is far less harmful than Crystal Meth, that being said Cannabis isnt harmless either and the trouble with most users who gravitate towards heavy use such as yourself, is that you are self medicating and then it is actually very hard to get diagnosed whilst using it as it may well be masking or easing symptoms of a recognised mental health condition, whilst at the same time it could be agitating other symptoms and thats without knowing whether a certain strain or kind could be more beneficial to you than another. Please do not consider meth as a replacement that would not be ideal it is neurotoxic and addictive and will likely mess you up way more than weed.
The best advice i can give you is to trying to maintain a lower dose as you try to get help with your issues, im someone who has been a heavy cannabis user, a light cannabis user as well as taking years here and there break and i believe i use it to help me relax and i totally get that issue you have without it, when your head hits the pillow to sleep thats it the mind will race or think of even really dumb shit (for myself anyway)

What are your options for seeing a psychiatrist or mental health professional ?

Guys, what do you think about this? I can keep my smoking to 0,1g per day. Maybe 0,2-0.3g at weekends. My therapist thinks that it causes me depression and low libido. My therapist is a pro, but I still cannot believe so little amount could be the reason for my depression or low libido. In case of low libido, I think the reason is an antidepressant which I used for 11 years, and It left me with a pssd (self-diagnosed).

It`s just...I know I have a psychological dependence on MJ, but with that low of a dose (and some days off) I would just like to keep it. It`s far better for me than for example "smoking only on weekends" which usually ends up with binge weekends and white-knuckle weeks...