• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Social I regret smoking everyday

Jose Rivas da Silva; I have a biochem degree, 4 years of trying to get an MSc in pharmacology and finally worked for 7 years in a pharmacology lab before ending up in a nutrition lab before quitting. You’ve got nuggets or grains of truth in what you say; but there is little said that would sustain a scientifically valid concludion. To make the kind of inferences that you have requires research, approval from animal ethics committees, grant money and a lab. If I am wrong I have no problem admitting and accepting/internalizing that. You’re grasping man.

No offence meant.

Tom

I'm open to the idea (based on reports of personal experiences I've read about online) that there is perhaps a small cohort of individuals who suffer actual w/d symptoms when they stop using marijuana...but for the vast majority of users, including heavy users, it's in no way accurate to claim that marijuana is physically addictive.

Jose Rivas da Silva; I have a biochem degree, 4 years of trying to get an MSc in pharmacology and finally worked for 7 years in a pharmacology lab before ending up in a nutrition lab before quitting. You’ve got nuggets or grains of truth in what you say; but there is little said that would sustain a scientifically valid concludion. To make the kind of inferences that you have requires research, approval from animal ethics committees, grant money and a lab. If I am wrong I have no problem admitting and accepting/internalizing that. You’re grasping man.

No offence meant.

Tom

So i have given you a scientific explanation, which is, in my view, the current scientific explanation for addictions. If you want to continue this discussion, which I would find very interesting, because it is a fascinating topic, please, give your scientific explanation, one that contradicts mine, since mine is wrong in your opinion..

I don't know why you gave me your resume, I am not hiring anyone at the moment ... maybe it is your habit to give the resume instead of arguments, perhaps it is a tradition in the geographic region where you live, if yes, my bad, sorry for my ignorance, Bluelight has people from many parts of the world.

If the aforementioned supposition is the truth, I will give you my resume as well, I don't want to be impolite.

@jose ribas da silva, phd in biochemistry in one of the most prestigious institutes in Europe, 5 years of post doc in biochemistry of proteins, currently a principal investigator in a famous university in the field of structural biology, you can find my real name as a first author in scientific papers... please, give your argument, scientifically structured, it will be a pleasure to continue this conversation.

I’ve got no problem with you giving your resume; as a matter it makes me take you more seriously than just being some guy with an opinion. Since you’ve engaged in research, you know that unsubstantiated claims aren’t worth anything (not if you wish to publish, receive grant money, etc). Thank you for doing so. I appreciate it.

You’ve made assertions; I invite you to list some peer reviewed, published sources which would stand behind your viewpoint. If they come from the types of sources I list, not only will I acknowledge that but possibly start to change my opinion. I have merely refuted your assertions and continue to do so.

As stated above, if proven wrong I will admit it. The trouble, as I see it is extending or going from small sample sizes to larger ones. At this point is where I see problems. I also see that there are clearly people with cannabis consumption issues (my niece is one). There are also people for whom cannabis consumption is not an issue. Drawing a line is very difficult, would you not agree?

Tom

I've suffered from cannabis use dependence, disorder and addiction. I've used MA (marijuana anonymous) and rehab as resources to stop my addiction cycle.

At the height of my addiction I was using over 500mg of THC every day, sometimes using over a gram of THC in a single day. I suffered withdrawal symptoms, both physical and psychological when attempting to stop. These symptoms included irritability, anxiousness, mood swings, loss of sleep and a loss in appetite.

I currently don't use more than 50mg of THC in a day. I still consider myself to be somewhat dependent but no longer an addict because my use is not effecting my life like I once allowed it to. When I quit, I still get the withdrawal symptoms mentioned but they are less severe and don't last as long. My withdrawal symptoms go away after a couple days whereas at the height of my use the withdrawals would last for two weeks or longer.

Weak minded people with addictive personalities are the ones who get addicted. Its legal here in Canada and i have yet to meet anyone needing rehab for it.
You may not sleep well or eat as well for a couple days but if people are pawning shit for weed they have other issues and not an addiction

I've suffered from cannabis use dependence, disorder and addiction. I've used MA (marijuana anonymous) and rehab as resources to stop my addiction cycle.

At the height of my addiction I was using over 500mg of THC every day, sometimes using over a gram of THC in a single day. I suffered withdrawal symptoms, both physical and psychological when attempting to stop. These symptoms included irritability, anxiousness, mood swings, loss of sleep and a loss in appetite.

I currently don't use more than 50mg of THC in a day. I still consider myself to be somewhat dependent but no longer an addict because my use is not effecting my life like I once allowed it to. When I quit, I still get the withdrawal symptoms mentioned but they are less severe and don't last as long. My withdrawal symptoms go away after a couple days whereas at the height of my use the withdrawals would last for two weeks or longer.

Sounds like you just have an addictive personality because weed isn't physically addictive. Im 42 and been smoking since 12.i know many potheads and never heard of what you experienced.
1 gram a day isn't that much

iregret-nothing-i-regret-nothing-nothing-25964071.png

You are not addicted. You're bored.

The only addiction it's your imagination, your boredom, your limits, what you think and what you don't. In your case, you see yourself as disabled/alone and think you don't deserve more, and that's the mistake. Go out there and live, spend those $ on life-worth stuff.

The only addiction it's your imagination, your boredom, your limits, what you think and what you don't. In your case, you see yourself as disabled/alone and think you don't deserve more, and that's the mistake. Go out there and live, spend those $ on life-worth stuff.

I would agree. Anyone addicted to something non addictive is just looking for an escape. To not be sober is the addition. Sitting inside doing nothing would make you want to escape. Getting out and doing things takes that isolation and boredom away

This video does a good job at (simplistically) explaining how cannabis effects people differently and why we have such a wide variance with experiences.

"Each persons particular brain chemistry, genetics and previous life experience largely determines how they experience the drug. That's true much more so with marijuana than with other drugs that produce their effect through one or a few specific pathways. So the harmful effects, if any, vary considerably from person to person."

You’ve made assertions; I invite you to list some peer reviewed, published sources which would stand behind your viewpoint.

This review says pretty much what I have said to you, from NIH, it is a reliable source, there are also noteworthy references in this review, so check them to have more information about the theme.

Complementing my point, one of the problems with the research on cannabis are the experimental models and these models give us the responses that we want and if there is a model which is not perfectly adjusted to give a trustable result, so we need to interpret the results carefully.

I would agree. Anyone addicted to something non addictive is just looking for an escape. To not be sober is the addition. Sitting inside doing nothing would make you want to escape. Getting out and doing things takes that isolation and boredom away

As the papers above show, both of you are saying bullshit, apparently naive stoners...

As the papers above show, both of you are saying bullshit, apparently naive stoners...

Not naive by a long shot. Live in a country where weed is legal. In my 25 years of smoking never met anyone addicted.
If anything you're naive and weak for getting addicted to a non addictive plant.
Go sell your shit for a gram of weed you badass before you have a seizure and die from pot withdrawal. Some people just think its cool to be an addict i guess

1 gram a day isn't that much

That’s 1 gram of THC per day. Easily a couple of grams of concentrate or ~5g of flower a day. That’s what my prescription is (5g/day) but I don’t consume anywhere near that. It depends on the severity of the symptoms that I use cannabis for. On a good day, zero consumption. On a bad day before every dialysis. It depends on my blood pressure that day, whether I’ve got something in my stomach or not (and how soon before dialysis I’ve eaten).

Tom