• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I Need Help. On Suboxone but relapsed and using Fentanyl

MountainDew444

Greenlighter
My first post here... I got myself in a weird situation. After being clean of illegal substances with the help of 12mg a day of suboxone for 2 years, I relapsed recently and stopped taking the suboxone and replaced it with Fentanyl (from the street, I smoke it)

After using the fentanyl for 2 weeks I got back onto the suboxone (there was still a lot of withdrawal though to get back on the subs)

After I was back on the suboxone, I did not touch the fentanyl for a week and only used suboxone 12mg per day but then at the end of the week I relapsed again....

This time though I NEVER stopped using the suboxone 12mg per day because I know that If i stop taking the suboxone things would only get worse.

So its been about a week of me taking the suboxone 12mg each morning but smoking the fentanyl on top of it throughout each day and night trying to get high ( sometimes I get a nod, but its definitely dulled from the suboxone)

Now I regret these stupid decisions I keep making and want to quit again and just be on the suboxone because I am SO TIRED of using and miss my much happier life that i just had a few weeks ago when I was steadily ONLY taking suboxone and no illegal drugs... but I am worried about there being withdrawals again. I know suboxone is supposed to block the fentanyl but i don't know if its really blocking all of it.

If i stop smoking the fentanyl should I expect there to be withdrawals since I still sometimes get a nod from it over the last 8 days??? Or should I be okay because I never stopped taking the suboxone 12mg daily this time??? Please help.

I regret these relapses so much and just want to be clean. My plan is to get steady on the suboxone and then eventually get off that... But for now I just want to be stable on suboxone again and feel happy. I feel so anxious and shitty about this situation I got myself in. I have a girlfriend and help take care of her toddler who views me as his father (prior to my relapse, i haven't seen him since). She knows about the relapse and if I can't stop the Fentanyl she is going to leave me. I am motivated just scared.

If your still getting a nod, the fentanyl is breaking thru the suboxone. So i think you need to slowly taper off the fentanyl while continuing suboxone.

So just so this information is out there for anybody else that is in my situation.... Yes even though i was on 8-12mg of suboxone per day, I was using fentanyl all day every day and I DID get a withdrawal from the fentanyl upon stopping.... It was not nearly as bad as if i had ONLY been on fentanyl without the suboxone and go through withdrawal.

If fentanyl withdrawal is a 10/10

Fentanyl withdrawal while still taking daily suboxone and being partially blocked by the suboxone on my opiate receptors was a 6/10. Uncomfortable but bearable and only lasted about 2 days. So be prepared to still have to go through that. This information was hard to find so I hope my experience helps somebody else.

I am now 8 days clean and feeling great!!

Yeah, I'd recommend a taper if possible with the fentanyl. There will undeniably be withdrawals if abruptly discontinuing fentanyl. Wasn't there a lot of precipitated withdrawals inducing buprenorphine while simultaneously using fentanyl?

Glad you have 8 days behind you thanks for sharing! I try and stay focused on the positive ( its hard sometimes) when i get in my head i try walks outside, a good book, or a movie! Keep being the amazing person you've become and helping w that lil one😊

Yeah, I'd recommend a taper if possible with the fentanyl. There will undeniably be withdrawals if abruptly discontinuing fentanyl. Wasn't there a lot of precipitated withdrawals inducing buprenorphine while simultaneously using fentanyl?
I was wondering same thing. I used simultaneously in past and did NOT exp any precipitated wd. However friend of mine used same amnt of sub and fent as i did and always got really sick. Its crazy to me how the body can react so differently.

No. Just stop the fent. Keep taking your subs and you will be fine in a few days. If you have subs you will not suffer. Well until you try to stop those. No need to taper or cop illegal drugs ever again.

People say taper like fent is growing off a tree. LOL. No, you need to simply stop.

Good luck.

trying to taper using fentanyl is a fools' errand... the short half life means you would be dosing every 2-3 hours

tapers are better when you use a drug with a longer half life like SR morphine, or methadone

for me fentanyl withdrawal (i smoke it) starts after just 3 hours... so i wake up 2-3 times per night in sweats and shaking and have to use just to go back to sleep... I hope i never go back to it and stay focused on my sobriety now

Actually not really no... I took 4mg in the morning then throughout the day i would take 2-4mg at different times between my fentanyl use (smoked)...once buprenorphine is built up in the body you no longer get precipitated withdrawal.