• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I need help // Ego

It does not seem like suffering is an illusion, only the story attached to it. Pain is real and can last a long time, but even if it lasts for 10,000 years it's still temporary. When it goes away it takes all the narratives with it, if there were any. It's just the experience of the present moment.

Ego death has a two-fold nature, if it can be put that way. The first is an experience that obliterates the ego so that it goes silent for a period of time, like suffering or other irrevocable proof, which then reveals the true presence it was obscuring. For me this happened through intense pain and agony, so much so that I broke through the pain and discovered stillness. "I" was hurting so much that "I" imploded and then dissolved. The fear of death is really the fear of being nothing, but the irony is that the physical body survives ego death even though the grasping nature of ego makes it seem like you will truly die the true death if you ever relinquish it.

The second nature is that, after the experience, ego may arise again, and it may assert its usual stories, but the underlying presence never fully buys into it anymore. Ego can appear, even dysfunctionally, but there is an awareness that it can be dropped.

The third quality seems to be that there is no real distinction between egoism and egolessness, because both are conceptual mind games within a seamless ticker tape of a reality that is endlessly doing itself -- a reality that "I" am not making happen. It is truly without a story. It goes very deep.

I view ego as an evolutionary tool that we as developing life forms got too attached to. It can be viewed as an extension of Consciousness within an individual, kind of like an interface so we can all communicate effectively without being irrational to each other. Very much like a cellphone nowadays or facebook account - some people surely would be terrified with an idea of living without both of these, just like the majority of people is terrified of an idea of being egoless.

And as the time will go on and we will create more and more and more extensions to that interface IMO, it will pile up until we will get tired of it all and "wipe" it clean with something that will show what's real and significant and what's just an extension, a tool.

Obvious next step of interface extension is virtual reality and all it will bring with it when popularized and affordable.