I got a 72 hour notice of eviction because of my O.D.

titicaca2

Bluelighter
Yeah, that sums it up.

I live with my boyfriend, my mom, and two other guys. Me and my boyfriend were doing it, I od'd, the cops were called and I was taken away in an ambulance.

That was in the early morning hours of the 11th.
Its now the 12th and they said i have 72 hours to get out and it won't count as an eviction, but that we were asked to leave.

So... boyfriend got a felony charge & suspended from his job
i'm getting everyone evicted
the relationship with family is ruined.

Anything I can do to stop the eviction? Of course there's a zero tolerance no drug policy. What if I did the stuff then came home to my apartment? But I'm sure the police report would differ from that story. How can my private information be disclosed like that?

I live in Oregon, if it matters.

In short, no - you voluntarily agreed to those policies and you violated them. Furthermore, once law enforcement gets involved the police report is a matter of public record; it is not private information. Your wisest - and possibly only - choice of action would be to have your mother speak with whoever owns the apartment and try to work something out, possibly allowing her to stay but barring you from living in the apartment if she would find this preferable to simply moving into a new development. This is a very bad situation and I really do wish you the best of luck...

Police reports are public record. I don't know how your apt. manager/landlord found out so quickly, it's quite possible it was in the newspaper or a neighbor reported it to management.

You will have to look at your lease, if there is a clause about illegal drug activity and eviction and you signed it, then you may have no choice. Apartment complexes do have wide berth when it comes to drugs. And pets.

It's amazing how things can snowball. Do you have anyone you can stay with?

Does your lease state that you can be evicted immediately if you possess drugs or do anything illegal? Or does it just prohibit those things without providing for immediate eviction?

Because in the second case, typically the landlord must post a "Three Day Notice to Perform Covenants or Quit," which requires you to bring yourself into compliance with your obligations under the lease or move out.

Perhaps there's a way to "cure" your default under the lease by ceasing all illegal activities on the premises, rather than having to move out regardless of what you do to cure the default.

I spoke to the manager. She said the police department gave them a report. It was because there was an arrest made, not the O.D., that we are getting evicted. Technically we are being asked to leave, it won't show as an eviction. My mom talked to them and there's no budging.

I am losing my will to live. Rapidly. I was not a fucking addict. I was doing it for fun. And all is lost. I have two room mates who are suffering from my fuck up! Thats what hurts the worst. I work in a small town where news gets around. I feel like everybody is talking about me.

Should I check into rehab? Just so it looks good? I picked up boxes, packing tape, and a sharpie. I work straight through the days we have so its up to my mom and fiance to handle it. He can't be put on a lease due to 2 prior evictions. Found some places on Craigslist... but... my roommates, especially the one we'll call "D", moved in with us to get out of his house. His mom is a heroin addict (the lying thieving all-hope-lost type) and he has 4 younger siblings. He moved in with me to get away from that.

I feel like my life is over.

that sucks...a loser buddy of mine, got caught havin sex wit a girl in our apartments(at about 2 in the afternoon, while kids were gettin off school buses)....and the landlords tried to pull the same shit, until his mom begged and begged, and said if she could stay but he had 24 hours to get the fuck out.....i saw him awhile ago, and drank sum beer with him at his "river campground"..........i shit you not, the said girl was there too

Uh. What? Got caught having sex with a girl? What the hell can a landlord have to say about your sex life?

OK, your should I or shouldn't I go to rehab question is more TDS than LD but if Johnny1 is willing to indulge me, I can give you some perspective.

It's hard to be a recreational heroin user. Really hard. Besides, how would you define an addict? It's much more subtle than your friend's mom who spends the day banging away. You thought it was a good idea to combine clonazepam with heroin. You OD'd, and your life has officially become unmanageble because of your drug use. Do you want to quit? Perhaps you should go, but it comes down to what your goals are.

Then of course there's the expense. Rehab is pricey. I went for 28 days and it cost me $30,000, a relative bargain. I had no choice but to go because my life, too, had become unmanageble, and I needed another way of living.

You may have no choice to go if you end up in drug court, but there are worse things that could happen.

I was taking the clonazapem for anxiety earlier in the day, and since i wasn't taking it to get "high" i didn't even think about it, how it could interact. every week or two we'd get either OC or heroin. my life is manageable.

honestly i dont think if you can do anything to get out of the eviction....sounds like ur landlords or whatever may not be very cool

but, from his point of view, if your OD'd in his apartment or rental, and therefore have illegal drugs in his rental, he may think that since ur up to illegal activities/no good, its bad for business and i'm sure its a violation of the agreement. i mean, it can't be good for business to have a reputation as having people that O'D in ur rentals (i remmeber reading a thread on here the other day, was it you? you shot heroin (mom was in the other room), blacked out, boyfriend was totally worried about you and trying to 'save' you and forgot to hid the shit, and they came back with a warrant?)

titicaca2 said:
I was taking the clonazapem for anxiety earlier in the day, and since i wasn't taking it to get "high" i didn't even think about it, how it could interact. every week or two we'd get either OC or heroin. my life is manageable.

i think once you wrap your head around the fact that your life is not manageable you will be better off. you're concerned about going to rehab for show and tell, not because you realize you need help?

you're 19.. and you're on the path to seriously fuck up your life. the hardest decisions are the best ones.

titicaca2 said:
my life is manageable.

I sympathize with you. But now you have to manage finding a new place to live because of what happened.

I am a strong proponent of responsible recreational drug use. I do not believe it should be a crime for adults to indulge in any substance. But the problem is that it is so difficult to admit to ourselves when it becomes irresponsible.

Even if you're not an addict, you must admit that you have a drug problem. You OD'd and almost died. You are being evicted. Your BF lost his job. These are serious problems as a directly result of your drug use. Is this your definition of manageable?

We're all human and everybody makes mistakes. It's ok. Now you have to deal with it.

Clean up your act and move on. Put this behind you. As fun as the heroin might have been, admit to yourself that it comes with consequences.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. But please, don't fool yourself into thinking that it won't happen again or you'll just do better at keeping it under control. The odds are squarely against you.

I don't blame the landlord for wanting you out. If it was my house, I would want you out too. I wouldn't care if you used drugs, but I would care if you OD'd and the police were there. It's bad for business.

Sorry, I don't mean to preach. I sincerely wish the best for you. I hope you make some changes and things get better for you.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Okay. Sweetie. Sit down, pull up a chair. I mean this not as some creepy mean thing, but as a reality check for you.

Your fiance is in jail, about to go to jail, and looking at a felony charge. Doesn't sound like you'll be having a wedding anytime soon... Your "mistake" is throwing your friends, and your MOTHER, out on the street. You hurt those people, you inconvenienced those people- people who it sounds like do nothing but care about you. And most importantly, you almost died. End of story, end of posting on bluelight, end of partying, end of everything. End of your mother's and your friends and your fiances lives too. Losing you would be the worst thing ever for ay of them. Except..the universe handed you a favor. You survived.

And your life, the choices that led up to all this shit in the above paragraph..is "manageable?"

Uh....no. It's not. Clona "for anxiety"...what's going on in this manageable life of yours that was giving you that much pain? Some people barbecue once a week. You're doing heroin and OC???

You need to get some help. Rehab. Or a meeting. It's scary as fuck, but the slide downhill from where you are now-and it will slide, believe me, will be worse if you don't stop. You sound like a smart, caring person. Please, use all those smarts and all that caring to take a step back and see things as they are. You are at a crossroads. Support-meetings-rehab-cleaning up-finding meaning and love -or no support, more alone, more drugs, more ods, more hurting people who have never hurt you.

xxoo.

Let's keep the discussion centered on the LEGAL issues here.

If the poster would like help with her drug situation, then it would be best for her to post about it in The Dark Side.

I'm sorry. I honestly feel like it would be irresponsible of me to even comment on the legal aspects of this without mentioning the giant red flag flying over this case, don't you think? No disrespect or rabble rousing meant.

^ Everyone has to deal with their own lives. You're not standing in her shoes, so it's impossible for you to know whether she's got a problem or whether she's got the same habit that 95% of the world does, which is that we blow off the not inconsiderable pressures of everyday life by partying. Some people party with alcohol, some use other substances. You could condemn alcohol just as readily for a number of reasons.

Moreover, this other issue has nothing to do with her eviction issue. That's the topic of this thread. I realize you're trying to help her in another area of her life, but she still needs a place to live, and is asking here only about that issue.

Please take the time to read the Legal Discussion forum guidelines sticky post. There's a list of prohibited posts and topics in that sticky, and everything on the prohibited list is there for a good reason that's been established over time. To make this forum run smoothly, and to give our participants the best opportunity to get help for their legal situation, judgmentals posts are not allowed.

OP,

Please remember to take advantage of the fact that you were not evicted when applying for a new apt. I still can't believe the cops went to apt. manager, but I had a detective go to my employer when I received a DP charge. I lost my job. Fucking law enforcement!

Make sure that you can provide references to a prospective landlord. They may call your former LL and they will really want to know if you paid your rent in full on time, everything else is just gravy.

This forum provides people with help in dealing with issues that are very sensitive, and have lifelong impacts. Derailing threads with responses unrelated to legal issues is disruptive to the cause.

If you desire to lambaste the OP over her drug use, there is a private messaging system that will work quite well. If she doesn't want to hear it, there is an ignore function that works equally as well.

Update:

Haven't done a single drug since the 11th of september. Boyfriend has court on the 13th, first offense. Got into a very nice apartment in a neighboring city for $99. Upscale. He is back to work now, my job wasn't affected. We just live with my mom, got rid of the shitty room mate.

So how am I addicted? How was it out of control? I've been "clean" for 2 weeks. I did a stupid thing and mixed clonazepam and heroin in the same day. That was my mistake. I will never do it again. I believe I can safely use recreational drugs.

He talked to the detective that called. They want him to be an informant. I told him to call his lawyer and not talk to the detective. He didn't listen, but the detective never called back.