• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I finally got approved for full disability payments

Yeah, congrats. Lot of stress relief to know bills are paid. Makes life a little (or lot depending) more tolerable > sorry couldnt find a word. after 5 seconds i just move on.
Been thinking disability here lately. Shit going on for decades and as much as i love to work (for reals), aging has made what i like a dislike cause the issues just degenerate ime. now i hate working cause soon as i get up i start feeling needles stabbing here and there. some big and some small. most times not "crippling" but sometimes i cannot get up properly. :shrug:as much as i despise "what it is is what is what it is" i gotta say it. s'wat it is.
Best of luck with it all and maybe this gives ya enough freedom to post more. :laughing: sorry couldnt help it. If/when I get disability I would probably get on mfs nerves from posting too much.
Peace

I've had mental health (complex PTSD and bipolar and substance use) disabilities for years and they have always been stable but not warranting of applying for disability. Last year in around June I got hit with completely disabling autistic burnout. And honestly, I never knew it was possible to deteriorate so rapidly and lose my skills like I did. I even started stuttering like a child again. I couldn't talk properly. I couldn't do anything but sit in my apartment obsessively making and unmaking Lego for 10 hours a day while watching Netflix and stimming in my chair.

Autism basically has levels with diagnosis now and levels fluctuate. If I'd been diagnosed before I did what caused my burnout (Jan/Feb last year) I'd have been assessed as level 1, perhaps level 2 by a *very* generous therapist to allow me access to the disability funding. However I would not have applied as I had zero need for it. By the time I was assessed I was level 3 and had completely lost all independent living skills. It was like the autism just dialled up to 1000 and now I've got this uphill fight of getting back to where I used to be, plus the added bullshit of people going 'wait, how come you weren't like this before' well Karen, I was always autistic, I just masked it my whole life because I wasn't blessed with an early diagnosis. Then I accidentally put way too much pressure on myself vocation wise, my friendship group drastically changed, and my routine for the last 8 years of going into uni to study every day was suddenly over. And my brain fucking imploded.

So yeah, don't say it'll never happen to you. I sure hope it doesn't. But be prepared for the inevitable.