• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I finally got approved for full disability payments

Eligiu

Moderator: TDS; Discord Sr. Staff
Staff member
I am so fucking grateful. Alongside my government payment package for autism and PTSD now I actually have enough money to survive and afford my new apartment while focussing my time and energy on therapy and capacity building instead of work, with the goal of eventually going back to law.

I was told over and over by people that there was no point applying as I work 10 hours a week - I'd never get it. But the welfare agency don't consider me chilling on a couch playing animal crossing work, funnily enough.

They weren't able to deny my level of support needs - they had a copy of a report which states I require 1-1 support 30 hours a week, minimum, alongside 15 different therapies and appointments.

I submitted every report I had, the 25 page autism assessment, a sensory profile, social work reports, Psychiatrist reports, hospital discharge summaries. Probably around 200 pages.

But the biggest factor was the woman doing my job capacity assessment. You need to get assessed as having a partial capacity to work of under 15 hours a week. She put complex PTSD and bipolar both under mental health obviously, then started asking me about autism. I got confused because everyone I know in real life who got diagnosed the time I did tried for disabilty payments but got rejected for not being 'fully treated and stabilised'. She asked how it affected me and I asked why she wanted to know because it wasn't fully treated or stabilised since I only got diagnosed last year (4 months prior). She went 'Eli I'm really trying to help you here. I'm putting this under mental health too instead of a seperate category and I think it'll get you over the line. Consider all the therapy you've already done, is occupational therapy going to change you from a level 3 to a level 1 in 2 years?' and I was like 'well, I doubt it'

So then I just told her all the ways it impacts me and she was like 'yeah based off this alone you should be on disabilty, the fact that you're managing to work at all is downright commendable'

At the end she said she could not tell me the outcome, but 'there is only one clear decision to make based on the evidence and she made hers' so then it's back to the assessing team.

The assessing team had already done a file review on my evidence and marked it as 'disability pension recommended, pending job capacity assessment' according to the social worker I had, so it seemed straightforward. But then it got massively held up for like a month and a half.

Eventually, I got a text to have my final disabilty medical assessment done with a contracted third party psychologist. It went for 5 minutes.

Then at 6pm this evening I got a text saying my claim was assessed and checked my account and it was approved.

This is basically the single greatest news I have had in over a year. It's taken a huge weight off my back.

I could feasibly afford my new apartment without having to rely on an abusive parent to help me pay for it. Life changing.

Good that you got accepted for disability pension so many ppl who should be on it are refused and shouldnt be.Good luck in the future

Wish you luck myself I got in the same situation only under the wrong diagnoses. You know how dr's can fuck up.

Glad you got someone that really listens. I hated being on disability at first. Especially the way how. But it grows on you. And having some good card's when the institute that pays me is a good back up. They fucked up not me. I am very happy now. Working would be a downwards spiral imo. I'll loose any support, have to pay child support and when I am fired I am confronted with the same organisation that fucked me many times before.

Good that you got accepted for disability pension so many ppl who should be on it are refused and shouldnt be.Good luck in the future

The system we have is certainly not fair. But I see a lot of people apply under mental health who... Lets say don't qualify. Like my team put me in the 20 point table, which I think is fair. I don't consider myself as impaired as some poor guy with schizophrenia living in a secure unit half the year on massive doses of antipsychotic medication. But I saw someone have just a GP report say she was in that category when she hadn't even ever seen a clinical psychologist let alone a psychiatrist and like Centrelink know that anyone who is 30 points by reason of the severity of their condition (I fall 50/50 between extreme and severe) would have a whole mental health team keeping them semi stable, whether public or private. So she just went to a random GP then was going to see a random clinical psychologist for a one off report and was like 'do I just tell them to copy what the GP wrote?'

Well, no. You let them assess you over multiple sessions and assessments and make a judgement based on how you answer certain questions where they fit you.

The problem is, a lot of people learn the questions in the tables off by heart and they think they get asked that in the assessment. They do not. My assessor was like 'wow a treatment history from a psychiatrist you've seen over 7 years? That's rare, very good supportive evidence' and I asked why and she went 'you won't believe how many people try to apply with reports from professionals they see one single time. It's unreliable. We don't view it as good evidence'

I cannot speak for any other condition (such as physical) and I KNOW the horror situation that is people suffering from cancer being unable to access disabilty unless they're terminal (fucking disgusting) but for mental health honestly on the phone to a Centrelink worker I said 'how has this been easier for me to get than my NDIS funding' and she just replied saying 'in my experience, people who qualify under mental health tend to do so quite easily as you have all the reports and evidence sitting round. It's people who don't who really struggle, and people who are really borderline'

That's so great to hear @Eligiu Congrats! <3

Thanks. It honestly does not feel real. I was told time and time again I would never qualify and it's so amazing to have my disabilies actually recognised for how severe they are and how much they impact my life. I'm so grateful that I can actually keep working too though, since my job is the only time I don't feel completely impaired and I feel like I'm doing something useful for someone else. It's my only motivation in life. If I had to give that up I would honestly kill myself.

Congrats!

I had to get on disability several years ago myself. I have severe major depression, anxiety/panic & borderline personality disorder, among a couple other diagnosis.
All my jobs kept ending with me either flipping the fuck out on some one or having a panic attack or not even having the ability to focus or concentrate long enough to understand what the hell I was suppose to be doing.

Unfortunately I discovered that I didn't have enough work credits, so my monthly payments were insanely small.
I got enough money in backpay though to buy myself a car, which my mom was then diagnosed with cancer 3 months after I bought it, so that car mostly went for trips to the city to take my mom to chemo.

I eventually tried signing up for SSI to increase my income, thinking I'd get the max state benefits they put out. I won that too, only to find out it would only be a measly extra 45 dollars a month, which I'll now have to report to foodstamps, so my foodstamps will now go down and I basically break even, so it was pointless for me to even go through this whole process. I felt insulted honestly. lol

My rent each month is more than I get each month. lol
And now my mom is dead.

So unless I wake up perfectly normal one morning and can go back to work or some how run into a rich person who hooks me up, I'm fucked.
I don't plan on living very long though I imagine, especially after the hell I put my mind & body through for decades. So it is what it is I guess.

Congrats!

I had to get on disability several years ago myself. I have severe major depression, anxiety/panic & borderline personality disorder, among a couple other diagnosis.

Unfortunately I discovered that I didn't have enough work credits, so my monthly payments were insanely small.
I got enough money in backpay though to buy myself a car, which my mom was then diagnosed with cancer 3 months after I bought it, so that car mostly went for trips to the city to take my mom to chemo.

I eventually tried signing up for SSI to increase my income, thinking I'd get the max state benefits they put out. I won that too, only to find out it would only be a measly extra 45 dollars a month, which I'll now have to report to foodstamps, so my foodstamps will now go down and I basically break even, so it was pointless for me to even go through this whole process.

My rent each month is more than I get each month. lol
And now my mom is dead.

So unless I wake up perfectly normal one morning and can go back to work or some how run into a rich person who hooks me up, I'm fucked.

Yeah I live in Australia, so I probably have it a bit better. I get around $1000 AUD per month from welfare on disabilty, then I get $900 from work. That $1000 is then scaled back by a percentage based on some maths I'm unsure of but which brings my total monthly income to around $1400 all up I believe, based on what an old client of mine got while he worked on disabilty too.

I'm allowed to work up to 30 hours a week, however I will stay with my current 10 for now.

My rent in my new apartment is $385 AUD per week, so $700and something per fortnight - very doable on $1400 per fortnight. Especially considering I used to get $550 per fortnight student payments and my rent was 50% of that yet I made it work on $250 for the rest of my bills. $700 leftover is heaps.

I'm just so happy today. It's sort of funny though, a friend of a friend got shitty with me when I complained on Facebook about my shitty job coach who kept going 'use your support workers to work more' and even telling them when they came to advocate for me 'your job is to get Eli contributing as a valuable member of society' which caused one of them to sit stunned and say 'excuse me? My job is to support Eli however he needs to be supported. I don't particularly care whether he works or not.' So this job coach would threaten cutting my payments if I didn't reach the benchmark 15 hours, which I adamantly refused to do since the cutoff for disability is below 15. Why on earth would I fuck myself like that? I tried to explain to this guy - 25-30 hours of support workers a week doing chores, personal care, social engagement, errands, add 6-8 hours for various therapies, plus 10 hours of my actual job... That is full time hours. How the fuck is it fair to ask me to be doing more, *because* I'm disabled? Like making me choose between dropping essential therapies which will help me gain my functioning back, or stopping support shifts which do much the same thing? For what? 5 more hours a week of work and this job coach gets his paycheck? Fucked up man.

My file states complex PTSD, bipolar with psychosis, and level 3 autism plus narcolepsy and a substance use disorder. And this dude reckoned he was getting more work out of me?

Fuck me, I legit just want to be able to work the hours I do now, focus on myself, get back to where I used to be or close enough, then be able to get off disability after using it for a foot up when I needed it. The autistic burnout is what did me, I'd never have applied for it if not for that, but it fucked me up.

It's weird though like I was told it was downright impossible to get for mental health in my situation yet even just today I had my final assessment at 10:30am then by 6pm a text saying I'd been approved.

Yeah I live in Australia, so I probably have it a bit better. I get around $1000 AUD per month from welfare on disabilty, then I get $900 from work. That $1000 is then scaled back by a percentage based on some maths I'm unsure of but which brings my total monthly income to around $1400 all up I believe, based on what an old client of mine got while he worked on disabilty too.

I'm allowed to work up to 30 hours a week, however I will stay with my current 10 for now.

My rent in my new apartment is $385 AUD per week, so $700and something per fortnight - very doable on $1400 per fortnight. Especially considering I used to get $550 per fortnight student payments and my rent was 50% of that yet I made it work on $250 for the rest of my bills. $700 leftover is heaps.

I'm just so happy today. It's sort of funny though, a friend of a friend got shitty with me when I complained on Facebook about my shitty job coach who kept going 'use your support workers to work more' and even telling them when they came to advocate for me 'your job is to get Eli contributing as a valuable member of society' which caused one of them to sit stunned and say 'excuse me? My job is to support Eli however he needs to be supported. I don't particularly care whether he works or not.' So this job coach would threaten cutting my payments if I didn't reach the benchmark 15 hours, which I adamantly refused to do since the cutoff for disability is below 15. Why on earth would I fuck myself like that? I tried to explain to this guy - 25-30 hours of support workers a week doing chores, personal care, social engagement, errands, add 6-8 hours for various therapies, plus 10 hours of my actual job... That is full time hours. How the fuck is it fair to ask me to be doing more, *because* I'm disabled? Like making me choose between dropping essential therapies which will help me gain my functioning back, or stopping support shifts which do much the same thing? For what? 5 more hours a week of work and this job coach gets his paycheck? Fucked up man.

My file states complex PTSD, bipolar with psychosis, and level 3 autism plus narcolepsy and a substance use disorder. And this dude reckoned he was getting more work out of me?

Fuck me, I legit just want to be able to work the hours I do now, focus on myself, get back to where I used to be or close enough, then be able to get off disability after using it for a foot up when I needed it. The autistic burnout is what did me, I'd never have applied for it if not for that, but it fucked me up.

It's weird though like I was told it was downright impossible to get for mental health in my situation yet even just today I had my final assessment at 10:30am then by 6pm a text saying I'd been approved.
I'm glad to see some one get the help they deserve & need!

It's really easy to get denied here in the US. And you are more likely to get on it for mental health issues than you are physical issues.
I know people who had legit back problems & such & even one person who had one leg & they had to fight tooth & nail & see psychiatrists in order to get approved.

I've been crazy for a long time though & have suicide attempts in my medical history, so that always helps too. I had a ton of evidence backed up by doctors & won my case fairly quickly.

But I guess I did not work long enough or enough jobs to accumulate enough credits to be getting 1,000-1,200 like other people I know do.

We're allowed to work a certain amount of hours here too, but they can also use this as an excuse to take it away from you later on by saying your capable of working.

I have no idea what I'd do if I went back to work.
Everyday is unpredictable for me in terms of how I feel.

I also have substance abuse disorder on my record now & a conversion disorder, because I have observable physical health issues that doctors can't explain where they come from or why I have them (myoclonic jerks, feelings of dying, etc..)

I'm glad to see some one get the help they deserve & need!

It's really easy to get denied here in the US. And you are more likely to get on it for mental health issues than you are physical issues.
I know people who had legit back problems & such & even one person who had one leg & they had to fight tooth & nail & see psychiatrists in order to get approved.

I've been crazy for a long time though & have suicide attempts in my medical history, so that always helps too. I had a ton of evidence backed up by doctors & won my case fairly quickly.

But I guess I did not work long enough or enough jobs to accumulate enough credits to be getting 1,000-1,200 like other people I know do.

We're allowed to work a certain amount of hours here too, but they can also use this as an excuse to take it away from you later on by saying your capable of working.

I have no idea what I'd do if I went back to work.
Everyday is unpredictable for me in terms of how I feel.

I also have substance abuse disorder on my record now & a conversion disorder, because I have observable physical health issues that doctors can't explain where they come from or why I have them (myoclonic jerks, feelings of dying, etc..)

It actually still feels a bit unreal tbh man, especially considering how fast it happened. And like with our government funding for disabilty (called NDIS) is causing me such a pain in the ass cause there's this constant assumption that if you're autistic and smart, you cannot be level 3 (despite well, being professionally diagnosed lol with an actual report and hey, the assessment measures the impairment factor of the autism, not any intellectual disabilty!) So they've been pushing unofficially to scrap some of my funding if I dared to do a plan review (the planner told me I was 'overfunded' for level 3 autism at $75,000 which is flat out bullshit. A 27 year old adult living alone with zero informal supports and a new diagnosis of level 3 autism should be on *minimum* $150,000 a year for that condition. Then when we finally added the complex PTSD I asked if I missed out on funding for that (my friend with level 2 autism and a physical disabilty got a well deserved $250,000 plan) and my response was 'well, you communicate very articulate over email so I find it difficult to think that you would receive any funding at all for PTSD as you don't seem at all impaired by it' which had me flabbergasted. Like 2 suicide attempts in the prior 12 months, numerous accidental overdoses, several instances of severe self harm but because I'm articulate I'm not impaired?

Thank fucking Christ disability pension claims do not work like that. They just asked me to answer certain questions about how I do things, what type of help I need, how often I need help, the symptoms I experience, then it was basically done. No judgement about my level of disability based on a false assumption due to my non verbal communication.

It actually still feels a bit unreal tbh man, especially considering how fast it happened. And like with our government funding for disabilty (called NDIS) is causing me such a pain in the ass cause there's this constant assumption that if you're autistic and smart, you cannot be level 3 (despite well, being professionally diagnosed lol with an actual report and hey, the assessment measures the impairment factor of the autism, not any intellectual disabilty!) So they've been pushing unofficially to scrap some of my funding if I dared to do a plan review (the planner told me I was 'overfunded' for level 3 autism at $75,000 which is flat out bullshit. A 27 year old adult living alone with zero informal supports and a new diagnosis of level 3 autism should be on *minimum* $150,000 a year for that condition. Then when we finally added the complex PTSD I asked if I missed out on funding for that (my friend with level 2 autism and a physical disabilty got a well deserved $250,000 plan) and my response was 'well, you communicate very articulate over email so I find it difficult to think that you would receive any funding at all for PTSD as you don't seem at all impaired by it' which had me flabbergasted. Like 2 suicide attempts in the prior 12 months, numerous accidental overdoses, several instances of severe self harm but because I'm articulate I'm not impaired?

Thank fucking Christ disability pension claims do not work like that. They just asked me to answer certain questions about how I do things, what type of help I need, how often I need help, the symptoms I experience, then it was basically done. No judgement about my level of disability based on a false assumption due to my non verbal communication.
150,000 a year!?!?!? Holy shit. I'm moving to Australia!! lol

It sucks, cause our government here will be like "yup, you have a disability, but since you didn't work long enough, here some scraps each month". lol
With inflation rising and the cost of living increasing, I find it absolutely insulting that the government thinks I can live or have any sort of life on the money they allow me.

I got on disability so I could stop having to steal for food & prostitute for money, but it's looking more & more like those options will be back on the table soon. lol

And that's shitty! I'm very articulate & was found to have a pretty decent IQ. Not everyone who is has mental health issues is gonna be so far gone that they can't make a coherent sentence. Mental illness is a very deceiving illness because the person can appear pretty normal to on-lookers & strangers.

150,000 a year!?!?!? Holy shit. I'm moving to Australia!! lol

It sucks, cause our government here will be like "yup, you have a disability, but since you didn't work long enough, here some scraps each month". lol
With inflation rising and the cost of living increasing, I find it absolutely insulting that the government thinks I can live or have any sort of life on the money they allow me.

I got on disability so I could stop having to steal for food & prostitute for money, but it's looking more & more like those options will be back on the table soon. lol

And that's shitty! I'm very articulate & was found to have a pretty decent IQ. Not everyone who is has mental health issues is gonna be so far gone that they can't make a coherent sentence. Mental illness is a very deceiving illness because the person can appear pretty normal to on-lookers & strangers.

Oh like I don't get to touch the money, it sits with a third party and like therapists and support workers just invoice the plan and I approve it then money gets taken out to pay them. So it all has to be spent on legitimate stuff. It's not just money for whatever you want.

It's damn good though but I'm having huge hassles getting the secondary disability funded, apparently Psychosocial (mental health) is a special disability for them where you get accepted, then the state government is supposed to still do everything. Which is not what happens. We asked for $30,000 of funding for the second disability when the average is $60,000-$80,000 so no unreasonable but no dice.

But yeah like if I date someone, or move in with a partner, get married. All sorts of crap I apparently am not disabled anymore!

I'm just still in shock. I've been chasing this up for 4 months since January and initially it all looked super promising. Then if just stopped progressing.

I never imagined I'd ever be on disability, not with how my life has been so far. But I absolutely needed it

Oh like I don't get to touch the money, it sits with a third party and like therapists and support workers just invoice the plan and I approve it then money gets taken out to pay them. So it all has to be spent on legitimate stuff. It's not just money for whatever you want.

It's damn good though but I'm having huge hassles getting the secondary disability funded, apparently Psychosocial (mental health) is a special disability for them where you get accepted, then the state government is supposed to still do everything. Which is not what happens. We asked for $30,000 of funding for the second disability when the average is $60,000-$80,000 so no unreasonable but no dice.

But yeah like if I date someone, or move in with a partner, get married. All sorts of crap I apparently am not disabled anymore!

I'm just still in shock. I've been chasing this up for 4 months since January and initially it all looked super promising. Then if just stopped progressing.

I never imagined I'd ever be on disability, not with how my life has been so far. But I absolutely needed it
Seriously? Dating or moving in with some one might take away your benefits?

Yeah I guess I'll scratch Australia.

They do that here some times too with the money, they will make you have a payee that gives you your money if they think you're not mentally competent enough to handle having it on your own. Thankfully they merely call you & ask you if you think you are & if you say "yes, I can handle it", then you don't have to have a payee. That would be a pain in the ass. I use to know some people that had their parents as their payee & they got 10 dollars a day to use and that was it.

I never thought I'd get on it either, but I had no choice. It was either that or death/homelessness.

Enjoy the big sigh of relief for now though!! It certainly helps with the stress knowing you can pay for things now at least.

Disabilty pension $987 per fortnight includes pension supplement and energy supplement

Seriously? Dating or moving in with some one might take away your benefits?
if the australian system is anything like the brit system, then moving in with someone in an intimate relationship implies a willingness to care for physically and financially. if needs are sufficiently profound that the partner needs to quit work, then the partner may receive a carers allowance. over here you don't even necessarily get out of work benefits if you live with your partner, only if they are a very low earner.

i had an ex on disability benefits and had to tell the council i'd throw him out if he didn't keep his benefits. i wouldn't have, i just wanted the money so we could spend it on heroin. they've probably made pulling that shit a bit harder these days.

eta: i'm not saying i agree with this system. its harsh. but the logic is not like 'oh wow you have a partner so you're no longer disabled.'

I am so fucking grateful. Alongside my government payment package for autism and PTSD now I actually have enough money to survive and afford my new apartment while focussing my time and energy on therapy and capacity building instead of work, with the goal of eventually going back to law.

I was told over and over by people that there was no point applying as I work 10 hours a week - I'd never get it. But the welfare agency don't consider me chilling on a couch playing animal crossing work, funnily enough.

They weren't able to deny my level of support needs - they had a copy of a report which states I require 1-1 support 30 hours a week, minimum, alongside 15 different therapies and appointments.

I submitted every report I had, the 25 page autism assessment, a sensory profile, social work reports, Psychiatrist reports, hospital discharge summaries. Probably around 200 pages.

But the biggest factor was the woman doing my job capacity assessment. You need to get assessed as having a partial capacity to work of under 15 hours a week. She put complex PTSD and bipolar both under mental health obviously, then started asking me about autism. I got confused because everyone I know in real life who got diagnosed the time I did tried for disabilty payments but got rejected for not being 'fully treated and stabilised'. She asked how it affected me and I asked why she wanted to know because it wasn't fully treated or stabilised since I only got diagnosed last year (4 months prior). She went 'Eli I'm really trying to help you here. I'm putting this under mental health too instead of a seperate category and I think it'll get you over the line. Consider all the therapy you've already done, is occupational therapy going to change you from a level 3 to a level 1 in 2 years?' and I was like 'well, I doubt it'

So then I just told her all the ways it impacts me and she was like 'yeah based off this alone you should be on disabilty, the fact that you're managing to work at all is downright commendable'

At the end she said she could not tell me the outcome, but 'there is only one clear decision to make based on the evidence and she made hers' so then it's back to the assessing team.

The assessing team had already done a file review on my evidence and marked it as 'disability pension recommended, pending job capacity assessment' according to the social worker I had, so it seemed straightforward. But then it got massively held up for like a month and a half.

Eventually, I got a text to have my final disabilty medical assessment done with a contracted third party psychologist. It went for 5 minutes.

Then at 6pm this evening I got a text saying my claim was assessed and checked my account and it was approved.

This is basically the single greatest news I have had in over a year. It's taken a huge weight off my back.

I could feasibly afford my new apartment without having to rely on an abusive parent to help me pay for it. Life changing.
Congratulations!!! Sounds like a huge relief for u, hope everything starts going even better for u from now on! Cheers my friend.

Yeah, congrats. Lot of stress relief to know bills are paid. Makes life a little (or lot depending) more tolerable > sorry couldnt find a word. after 5 seconds i just move on.
Been thinking disability here lately. Shit going on for decades and as much as i love to work (for reals), aging has made what i like a dislike cause the issues just degenerate ime. now i hate working cause soon as i get up i start feeling needles stabbing here and there. some big and some small. most times not "crippling" but sometimes i cannot get up properly. :shrug:as much as i despise "what it is is what is what it is" i gotta say it. s'wat it is.
Best of luck with it all and maybe this gives ya enough freedom to post more. :laughing: sorry couldnt help it. If/when I get disability I would probably get on mfs nerves from posting too much.
Peace