Desperate I don't know if I'm headed towards addiction or overreacting.

ThrowawayAccount123

Greenlighter
I'm not sure where else to look for answers. I take prescription opioids for severe pain. I mean *severe*. I have, at times, thought about taking my own life just so the pain would stop. Oxycodone saved my life, in a way. I was no longer bedridden, I couldn't work still and I'm on disability, but I have a semi-normal life.

I've been taking opioids for about 3 years. First vicodin, then when it didn't work, percocet. And that worked. 3 pills a day of the lowest dose. I never felt high, never had any "good" feelings from it, simply had pain relief. And I thought that was pretty lucky.

Now would be a good time to mention that addiction is strong in my family, on both my mother and father's sides. My grandmother drunk herself to death. An aunt and an uncle both have been homeless at times because of their drug addictions and untreated mental illness. Mental illness is also common in my family - I have bipolar disorder, as well as PTSD.

When I was first offered pain pills by my doctor, I had to fill out this survey, looking at risk factors. I'm still sort of surprised I was given opioids based on my answers to that survey. History of addiction in family: check. Childhood sexual abuse: check. Mental illness: check. On paper, I look like the last person you'd want to give these drugs to.
But it's been years now and I've been fine. Have I been dependent? of course. If I stopped them suddenly, of course I'd have withdrawal, it's the same with my mood stabilizers or antidepressents, it's just that my body is used to having them. But just the last few months I've noticed behaviors in myself that are risky.

I don't know what changed. I still don't get a high feeling from them, usually, probably because I almost always take them exactly as prescribed - three times a day, 6 hours apart. But I started to shift doses based on my mood. It's like one day I suddenly thought, I just took my morning dose a couple hours ago but if I take my afternoon dose now, I will probably feel a tiny bit less depressed. Not high, just baseline or normal. That means I'd sacrifice an afternoon dose, but oh well. I was taking the right number, just shifting times, but I guess the mildly concerning behavior is/was that I was doing it based on my emotions, not my pain levels. Also, I would get sort of an excited feeling whenever I knew it was only like half an hour till my next dose.

Last time I saw my pain doctor, I told him I get breakthrough pain and have the shift around doses - a half-truth. So he offered 4 pills a day. I said no. I didn't need that much, I told him. Instead he gave me 10 extra pills a month. That means that a couple days each week, I can have extra. I can have that extra pill for pain. Or I could have it for a day, a moment, that I feel overwhelmed or anxious or depressed. Sometimes I have taken it simply because I'm bored.

I should say, I have only a couple times felt mildly 'high', similar to how I'd feel after a few shots of whiskey or something. But for that I'd need to take like 10mg at once and I've only done that 2-3 times. Maybe I should also mention I quit drinking 3 years ago (when I started opiods) partly because I knew it wouldn't mix with pain killers, but also because I could never drink responsibly. I could go 6 months without a drink, no problem, but if I even tasted alcohol, I felt compelled to get drunk. Like it wouldn't even feel worth it to drink unless it was to binge drink. (If I was at some family event where it was only appropriate to have one glass of wine, I'd feel angry/irritatble about that). Countless times I got blackout drunk, I remember one night laying in the bathtub with my clothes on, vomiting on myself, crying, my partner found me in the middle of the night naked shivering on the couch. So I decided I couldn't be responsible drinking, haven't touched it in years and don't even miss it. But I guess that indicates non-healthy behavior? idk, thought it was worth mentioning.

Am I abusing my drugs? Can I stop this? What will happen if I go down this road? Will I next time tell him that I will, in fact, need 4 a day? What then? But what about my life without pain relief? What if I return to a moment that I think, I'd rather die than be in this much physical pain?

It feels like there is no right answer. And who can I talk to about this? Not my doctor. What else would he do, but take them away completely? Not my partner, who knows how they'd respond. Not anyone else in my family, who knows what addiction is, where it leads. No one. So I just keep it this guilty secret. For a while my partner was in charge of my oxy and took it to work every day, besides from my dose for that day, but that was only because I was suicidal and would have attempted suicide with my oxy if I didn't already know it would likely just fuck me up and put me in the hospital but not kill me. maybe i should pretend I'm having suicidal ideation and let him keep the oxy with him so i still have pain relief without the opportunity to abuse.

Sometimes I'll feel very...normal, and I'll think, "How silly that you were afraid you were going down some 'dark path', it was just a momentary thing." Even writing this now, I feel kind of dumb, like you're all going to tell me I have no problem and that I'm in the wrong place or I'm being dramatic.

I don't know what to do. I am afraid of life without pain management and I am afraid of going down the same road as members of my family. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know where else to go.

Yeah, I would say you overreact, your anxiety increases, your defense mechanisms kicks in and then you can't trust yourself. I would say this, what do you mean by ''Going down the same road as my family did'' since they don't have an addiction history I don't see the point here but ok. So in one word you want to live sober because you can't handle reality without drugs. Well, we have plenty of threads like this but one thing I would say it's this. Find something you love, it can be anything. If you care about yourself, you will survive through this. Isn't the end of the world, it's just a typical confusion that happens everywhere and another way out isn't but to learn and enjoy the world. Like.. take a walk through the park, go see a movie, visit another country, etc. This being said, please visit ''February 2020 Recovery'' thread, when you ready.

Yeah, I would say you overreact, your anxiety increases, your defense mechanisms kicks in and then you can't trust yourself. I would say this, what do you mean by ''Going down the same road as my family did'' since they don't have an addiction history I don't see the point here but ok. So in one word you want to live sober because you can't handle reality without drugs. Well, we have plenty of threads like this but one thing I would say it's this. Find something you love, it can be anything. If you care about yourself, you will survive through this. Isn't the end of the world, it's just a typical confusion that happens everywhere and another way out isn't but to learn and enjoy the world. Like.. take a walk through the park, go see a movie, visit another country, etc. This being said, please visit ''February 2020 Recovery'' thread, when you ready.
Thank you for the response! I did actually say my family has a history of addiction but my post was long so it's possible you didn't read that part. My grandmother died of alcoholism and I have an uncle and aunt who did hard drugs for years. That history is a huge reason I'm worried about using opiates for emotional relief rather than pain relief. Again, thank you for the response and I will definitely think about what you said!

You seem to be doing well. Just don't overdo it. You have full control over your conscious actions and are aware of what you don't want to do, so yeah, good job. Keep it up. Tolerance sucks, so make it last as long as you can. I'm a chronic pain sufferer with a high tolerance that doesn't abuse opioids, but I desperately wish I didn't have to take anything

I
You seem to be doing well. Just don't overdo it. You have full control over your conscious actions and are aware of what you don't want to do, so yeah, good job. Keep it up. Tolerance sucks, so make it last as long as you can. I'm a chronic pain sufferer with a high tolerance that doesn't abuse opioids, but I desperately wish I didn't have to take anything

I wish I didn't have to take anything either, for sure. I spent 5 years fighting the advice of my doctor to at least have a small supply, because of how severe and disabling my pain was, but I was sooo afraid of opiates PLUS i thought it was "weakness" which I know now is silly. thx for the advice. I'm going to keep focusing on the fact that it's only happened occasionally and it's still in my control to not overdo it with my medicine. Worst case scenario I can always ask my pain doctor to give me a smaller supply so I have even less room to potentially overuse them. i'm probably just being over-conscious

Yeah... The hand we're dealt n all that. We're all in it together, though I'm sure that doesn't really help. Don't remember if I said this already, but try and keep from increasing dosage if possible. Physical therapy and non-heavy exercise should help some

I'm a little confused, as first you say you've never gotten high, then you say you've only gotten high a few times, then you say you are starting to get the urge to take it sooner because you like the way it makes you feel. Maybe we define the word "high" a little different, but to me it sounds like you are getting a mild buzz out of it and possibly more than that at times.

If there is nothing else you can do for your condition, like physical therapy, then I think this is just something you'll have to learn to manage as you seem to be doing for the most part. From what you write, it sounds like it'd be a good idea to let your partner help you manage meds. Is there a reason you'd rather tell your partner you are suicidal than that you are starting to struggle with urges to use more? This, and the way you write about having a "guilty secret" seems telling... do you think this is possible because you maybe enjoy opioids more than you're letting on? If so, it's not a weakness or something to be ashamed of, just a behavior of yours that you need to recognize and manage if you are going to continue the med. So the more you expose it and understand it, the better off you are in the long run. Also, there is something interesting about you quitting alcohol at the same time you started the opioid medication- I understand your reasoning and believe you, but the fact you didn't have any relapses or seem to really struggle with giving it up is definitely curious, and something to take note of.

Apart from all that, just know that there is physical and psychological dependence. If you've been taking opioids for 3 years then physical dependence is unavoidable and you will go into withdrawal if you stop. And even if you aren't fiending for more, you'll still likely get some side effects like depression that will seem like only more opioids can take away.

The breakthrough pain is probably just the result of building tolerance to opioids so you need more to get the same effect. You don't have to be catching nods for this to happen, it's a result of your body attempting to remain at an equilibrium. In response to foreign opioids, your body will produce less natural opioids(endorphins) and decrease sensitivity to opioids(receptor down regulation). So increasing dosage is only a temporary fix, in my opinion. It's smart of you to not take anymore than you absolutely need. If possible, it's not a bad idea to take half doses or skip a dose but not everyone can.

Last edited: