• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I don't get dope sick, really

ElvisPillsley

Bluelighter
I know most probably won't believe it, or think it hasn't happened yet. However, I went ridiculous hard this winter and if it were gonna happen would have by now.

You may ask if I've gone without long enough, I've gone close to a week with no opiates at all and have had nothing more than sometimes a runny nose, which isn't really a new thing for me, especially during the cold months.

I don't get it, I see how others suffer and know someone who says she gets sick if she doesn't take her one hydro 10mg daily. When I say I went hard this winter, I'm talking sometimes going through a G of dope in a day numerous days a week. No sickness. People I know who get sick will feel it within less than 12 hours of their last opiate dose, so my close to a week is beyond disputable.

Anyone have any idea what I could have/lack chemically that would cause this? Heard of it before?

^^ cut with pure methadone? That is odd, but I never really suffered terrible w/ds after a two year daily IV habit. Walk on the moon compared to coming off 680-mg Oxy. (Yes, 680-mg/day - post buprenorphine, guns shot wounds.)

I've read about this before.......you can.go thru this for several years, but from everything I have read, you will eventually get withdrawals.

Everyone's body/mind chemistry is different, & somehow you receptors or whatever don't need the opiates after you've stopped.

When I first used heroin I used for close to a year before I got any wd at all. Sometimes I used a few times per week and sometimes daily. I too saw others feel like crap

After about a year finally one morning I woke up feeling blah with a runny nose and sneezing fits. Even at first I didn't put 2 & 2 together. I snorted at first then moved to IV. But once the slight sickness finally started it was all downhill from there. Never again could use without the sick even if I'm clean and pick up I can not use more than 2 consecutive days or else it starts

Some people just have different body chemistry/genetics which is a huge factor on how long withdrawal last, how long it takes for tolerance to develop, etc.

it varies on the person. but, there is a stacking effect... or something like that.

this meaning that each time you use opiates, the withdrawal symptoms will get worse and worse and worse.
so you may not feel withdrawals from this year's opiate use (except for some nose sniffles), but the next time you go on a long binge, the withdrawal will be worse, and so on...

Do you do it consecutive days? The dopesick isn't as bad the first few times..

I hate that cheesy "Fooling Yourself" Styx song, but think of it whenever I read a post like this

How many days in a row did you use it? U can use it every other day and not get sick but if u use it multiple times per day for around a week or more you will. Dont think u wont get sick you dont wanna get addicted you'll need it about every 8 hours to feel normal.

Don't jump for joy just yet ....

Every period of time you use, you increase damage to your endorphines and feed those opiate receptors . The next lengthy period you use, you may become and "addict", then suffer from withdrawal.

Back 20+ years when I started, I could use a couple of months (weed, vicodin, etc.) and never have withdrawals, never crave. Fast forward to now, I get withdrawals after a few hours.

I'm with crzydiamond- sometimes it takes a really long time to feel WD- for me after about a yr of oxy followed by two wks of SC dilly (hospital) .
You don't know WHEN it will happen, but it WILL happen, someday, if you keep using. You were probably spared so far bc of non daily using. I find a low dose every day will get you WD quicker than a high dose 4-5 days a week.. When you think about it WD are a result of your body being so used to having opiates they suppressed your (para?)sympathetic nervous system so once you stop using your body makes extra for a few days until it realizes you've stopped.
Stop now, while you're ahead.
Once you experience WD, that's it. You can't use again without WD. It sucks.

Have you been using bupe or methadone? Is it possible withdrawals haven't even really kicked in yet. I'd say your lucky, but it's more of a curse. Withdrawals have always kept my use in check to an extent. I'm now 27 days clean from any and all iv opiates and it wasn't fun, and am now just dosing borneo red kratom 5.5grams every 12 hours twice a day which I'm tapering down aswell.

Once you experience WD, that's it. You can't use again without WD. It sucks.

I dunno about that, man. I was addicted to heroin for 5 years and would go thru the worst withdrawals. But I just came off methadone, which I was on for 2 years, and barely felt anything. I think it's because I was mentally addicted to heroin, which cause a lot of the withdrawal symptoms. I was physically addicted to methadone, but the mental aspect really wasn't there. I didn't care about it at all. The worst I felt coming off the 'done was a runny nose & just being more tired than usual. Nothing serious.

I know it sucks when people say withdrawal is all in your head, and I NEVER fuckin believed them, but coming off methadone made me kinda second guess it.

^ yeah when i kicked my suboxone maint... after 2-3 years... it was painless...

last time i went through H withdrawals, it was kinda annoying, but really not to bad; like having a cold

^How this is possible is beyond me. I get very intense WD's from "only" ~0,5mg of Buprenorphine a day.

OP is posting his story in multiple threads though. Not the best thing credibility wise...

^ I dunno , all i can say is I tried to quit subs like 4 times... and every time i got bad withdrawals.... Then the last time i just made it impossible to get any suboxone by going to bolivia for 3 months.... for a service mission building schools; I dunno , maybe it was just keeping busy and seeing all the poor people with no money , medical care, food etc etc.... made me forget about my poor little self with a slight fever and loose stools.... withdrawals actually seemed to feel good! so strange! and i had incredible life affirming lucid dreams which were so powerful that they were better than 99 percent of the drug experiences i have ever had

I dunno about that, man. I was addicted to heroin for 5 years and would go thru the worst withdrawals. But I just came off methadone, which I was on for 2 years, and barely felt anything. I think it's because I was mentally addicted to heroin, which cause a lot of the withdrawal symptoms. I was physically addicted to methadone, but the mental aspect really wasn't there. I didn't care about it at all. The worst I felt coming off the 'done was a runny nose & just being more tired than usual. Nothing serious.

I know it sucks when people say withdrawal is all in your head, and I NEVER fuckin believed them, but coming off methadone made me kinda second guess it.

How long have you been off methadone? Are you entirely opiate free now? How many days.

Good job btw.

You don't get dope sick yet.

Give a little while longer and you will. The progression is pretty predictable, its also incredibly deceptive.

if its been a week then you are obv. OK. I wouldnt listen to these who says it will eventually hit; its been a fucking week and you are telling us you are absolutely fine aside form a runny nose, right? then you have no worries.

my WD's would always hit me about 24-36hrs after my last shot. I was a daily using shooting a G+ a day and the withdrawals would always take a while to set in; but yet I've seen other get withdrawals within 4-6 hours after their last shot; never made any sense to me but everyones body reacts differently.

you also mention you werent an every day user, right? that has a lot to do w/ it. when I used to take oxy 80's back in 02-04 I'd pop a 40/MG pill every other day or so but never picked up a habit. everyone was always wondering and I was wondering the same but all was good w/ me then. but, of course, once I made the move to heroin everything went DOWN HILL!

dude, consider yourself lucky your not sick and if you can, stay off the dope. fucking kills ya. I am on suboxone now cuz I get dope sick as fuck, as I already mentioned, but it just takes a bit longer than most.