• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I don’t know if I can smoke weed anymore

Thank you guys so much, nice feedback. Some of you seem like you have been through very similar & get it

Yes I’ve always smoked flower, but yea for sure weeds a lot stronger these days on top of the fact that lol yes I’ve prob smoked way more than my fair share throughout my life. but I was always functional it just felt like ‘my kinda cigarette’.

Im going to try to take some of your guys advice. I’m going to slow down for sure & if that doesn’t work I’ll take a break. I might try to lightly smoke (here & there) the bag of homegrown my brother gave me instead of all those potent strains from the dispensary.

I also have PTSD that’s actually caught up with me more as I’ve gotten older, repressed memories, flashbacks, night terrors ect. So who knows maybe it’s all related. I’m probably rambling so I’ll close.

Appreciate you guys, you’re very cool
Namaste 💜

When confronted with the strange and unfamiliar, you can become stressed, especially if you have a parental or responsible role or job and can barely escape the confines of that role.

when you get stoned, the familiar becomes strange. no doubt about that.

it is that simple.

If you can make time for strange, then cannabis is 100% safe and enjoyable.

however if you have a coping complex of any kind, it can unseat you and make you manic as the strangeness of everything unfolds.

Happened to me too, like a lot of others, right around age 30 I stopped liking weed so much. And I used to absolutely love it, smoked daily from age 12.

There is some research I found and discussed in a different thread, I'll try to find it. Something about how chronic cannabis use causes changes to the GABA system over time and sensitizes it. THC itself has an acute inhibitory effect on GABA and overtime this effect becomes more pronounced.

This could explain why some people experience a significant jump in anxiety over time, especially when combined with psychological and other factors that occur with age.

But I agree I think it's a complex issue and can't be summed up by one factor. I do think the changes to GABA have a lot to do with it.

Happened to me too, like a lot of others, right around age 30 I stopped liking weed so much. And I used to absolutely love it, smoked daily from age 12.

There is some research I found and discussed in a different thread, I'll try to find it. Something about how chronic cannabis use causes changes to the GABA system over time and sensitizes it. THC itself has an acute inhibitory effect on GABA and overtime this effect becomes more pronounced.

This could explain why some people experience a significant jump in anxiety over time, especially when combined with psychological and other factors that occur with age.

But I agree I think it's a complex issue and can't be summed up by one factor. I do think the changes to GABA have a lot to do with it.

Great idea, also chronic THC upregulates 5HT2A receptors according to some study.

Well honestly I didn't read the op all the way through,( I will in a moment) I saw way too many parallels with my own life and experience with long term cannabis use for me to wait. Mister you are going to get some real good advice or information from some of these folks. All I ask is you try to listin make common ground even if " you don't think that's a problem "

Also I speak very plain , I don't have a PhD in correcting folks online.

Weed may or may not be the issue totally.
1.Smoking anything , causes all sorts of cardiovascular strane, long term.
2. Every stoner I know even me has gone through this feeling. I personally stopped everything years ago because of this. I'm a boring ass sober person. Who has zero anxiety now and 3 days out of the year I might , feel a bit down..

You mentioned clanazapam , I know how that feels. I know it helps , whatever trauma aflicts you. I know you won't want to hear this... those anti anxiety meds, alcohol, opioids ,Long term , they cause issues. And are very difficult to stop. For Years I didn't know my opioid pain killers I was taking can cause the very pain I took them for. The reason in that case was I had accute withdraw syndrome every morning ( caused back pain)

The only reason i word my response so delicately is i remember how certain professionals told me that if I wanted my body and mind to feel better that I should stop taking the only thing that had given me relief from pain or anxiety. I know how hard it is to hear it.

You should at the very least stop smoking weed. See how that goes for a while. But nothing any of us suggests today will be a quick fix. There are so many beautiful and unique variables that make up a person's psyche. I can literally only tell you either widely accepted scientific public domain data. Or I can tell you of my own personal experiences on the matter which is;

you're going to have to be your own psychiatrist

you're going to have to be your own scientist.

Clearly whatever concoction has run its course of usefulness. I would stop smoking weed see how that goes for an appropriate amount of time and if the anxiety or depression or whatever else ales you continues. Then one might deduce from that to try to cut other things out

I literally only have my own personal experience and in no way trying to force my beliefs upon anyone., but there were far too many parallels for me to stay silent. Op I want you to know I care for you, there's not a way to sugar coat it.my honest opinion like if you were sitting next to me tomorrow. [ best case scenario, you have a very long and arduous road ahead of you, but it's worth the fight when you get there. ]

Your quality of life may or may not improve. But doing the same thing over and over and expecting things to improve... well you decide what you are comfortable with changing.

Recently I've experimented with delt-8 and cbd,cbg,ext. Way more my thing, I haven't smoked flower regularly since 6 years ago. I'm not opposed to it I love weed , just trying something different, and thus far...have been beneficial. You really don't know until you try.

Good luck

benzos brought their own mechanics to smoking weed.
I never planned staying on them, but it just so happened.
For them and work-life-BS I couldn't keep on check with my psychological needs.
It obviously started to be too much while tripping on weed, then.
Couldn't still figure my shit out baked, it doesn't work that simple way.
So I did benzo at some point, commonly, and felt anxious about it, because I know I'd better not.
Then I felt anxious after smoking because I knew I would take benzo soon. Which I'd better not.

I started smoking again only after I was completely out and off of benzos and had withdrawed for a good while. Getting little better.
Response was surprisingly benign, tho challenging, because additional, stressing pattern had disappeared.

I get anxiety from smoking weed but I can bake the very same weed into brownies and enjoy those a lot. I get much less anxiety from edibles, a much nicer body high, feels a lot smoother than smoking the herb. It is also more potent, the same amount of weed gets me stoned for 5hours instead of an hour or two when smoked. Tolerance may build up quickly with edibles, though, probably because they last so much longer.

So I haven’t smoked in a couple days, can’t sleep can’t eat & feeling anxiety. How can something that has started causing me to feel anxiety when I smoke my after all these years cause me anxiety to stop. It doesn’t make any sense.

I feel like I guess I should keep going without smoking ? I don’t know. I went in my closet & I have some bags in there & it smelled so good

I’m loca I guess

So I haven’t smoked in a couple days, can’t sleep can’t eat & feeling anxiety. How can something that has started causing me to feel anxiety when I smoke my after all these years cause me anxiety to stop. It doesn’t make any sense.

I feel like I guess I should keep going ? I don’t know. I went in my closet & I have some bags in there & it smelled so good

I’m loca I guess
Pot withdrawal after heavy use can last a long time and changes throughout. To me, the first three days is the acute stage. Everyone is different, but I think it likely that your anxiety will begin to alleviate considerably after three days from your last smoke.

Myself, I get some insomnia for a week or two, slowly alleviating. I actually get insomnia for a month, but it's very minor after a week or two.
I think that's more me since I have issues with insomnia without any drug being involved.
That doesn't mean that will happen to you. Everyone is different.
My appetite and mood improve a lot after the three days.

Anyway, I'm not sure how you will react. Remember that a lot of people say they get no withdrawal from pot at all even after heavy use. It depends on the person quite a bit.

I think I can say that things will change quite a bit after three days and change again after a week or three.

It'll get better all the time, and you are at a place where it should get a lot better soon. Hang in there for a couple more days at least and see what you will see.

Smoking anything at all will change all this and reset any timeline.

Pot withdrawal after heavy use can last a long time and changes throughout. To me, the first three days is the acute stage. Everyone is different, but I think it likely that your anxiety will begin to alleviate considerably after three days from your last smoke.

Myself, I get some insomnia for a week or two, slowly alleviating. I actually get insomnia for a month, but it's very minor after a week or two.
I think that's more me since I have issues with insomnia without any drug being involved.
That doesn't mean that will happen to you. Everyone is different.
My appetite and mood improve a lot after the three days.

Anyway, I'm not sure how you will react. Remember that a lot of people say they get no withdrawal from pot at all even after heavy use. It depends on the person quite a bit.

I think I can say that things will change quite a bit after three days and change again after a week or three.

It'll get better all the time, and you are at a place where it should get a lot better soon. Hang in there for a couple more days at least and see what you will see.

Smoking anything at all will change all this and reset any timeline.
Thank you so much for your reply 💜

I am 28 and have basically stopped altogether starting at age 26. I started smoking at 14 and was a daily smoker until 25. I've always loved weed. Enjoyed the effects that it had as well as the medical benefits that it provided me. Then one day it just switched. Smoking was a guaranteed panic attack, or if I was lucky an anxiety attack. I've still been able to smoke high CBD buds but anything over 3%THC I am very careful with.

Recently I've been finding myself miss it a lot, so I've started a new technique. I'll take one hit of high THC bud a night. I'm doing it in hopes that I can get my tolerance up again and learn to like the effects again. Weed has always been more enjoyable for me when I have a tolerance. My tolerance is so low that these past few nights, just one small hit of 15% THC flower has gotten me super stoned, but its been manageable and I've been able to find some enjoyment out of the effects. I also find that it helps if I'm smoking with my partner or a close friend. Smoking with my partner, if things get intense I can just cuddle them and hold on for dear life and it keeps me in a peaceful headspace despite the intensity. If I'm with a close friend, then the stoney conversation seems to distract me enough from overthrowing and triggering a panic attack.

I do still keep 10%CBD+ weed around so If I overshoot and get too stoned, then I can smoke some of that and level myself out

I really hope this technique works. If it doesn't, then I'm likely giving up cannabis for the remainder of my life, and that thought saddens me.

But as others have said, weed just seems to turn on people as they get older. It sucks but at least you got a few decades out of it