View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

I Cringe When My Son Calls Himself a Junkie

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Why I Cringe When My Son Calls Himself a Junkie

Ellen Sousares | April 4 said:
My son calls himself a junkie and I cringe. And why do I do that, when that is how he self identifies? Because he has internalized the stigma that we have assigned to his disease. Because the image that the term “junkie” conjures up is one of societal disgust—filth, danger, dishonesty, laziness, moral ineptitude. We tend to think of “junkies” with a sense of “otherness.” We tell ourselves that only happens in someone else’s family, that person must have come from a horrid background, etc. And yet despite my son’s gentle nature, and despite his battles at such a young age—battles that even a fully matured adult with a plethora of coping skills would be more than hard-pressed to face—where stereotypes abound, there is no denying that I am the mother of someone many would call a stereotypical "street junkie."

I recently read an article in the Herald News [3] on the ‘new face’ of opiate addiction. It asserts that today’s opiate addicts no longer fit the typical, jobless, street junkie stereotype. Instead, this new ‘class’ of addicts include our cheerleaders, football captains and upstanding, successful professionals. It’s almost as if the idea of a junkie is even worse than addiction itself.

But who exactly is this “typical street junkie,” that we imagine? For one it is my son. Prior to his struggle with addiction and subsequent homelessness, he was your “average” suburban teenager, living in an “average” middle class home. But because my son suffers with addiction, and (like countless others) has slipped through the cracks of a severely fractured health care system and onto the streets, he is now labeled and written off.

My son now looks, and acts, and lives the stereotype of the "junkie on the street" and society disregards and reviles him as such. He even exclaimed, when he showed up high for drug court recently, "I'm sorry judge, but I'm a junkie, and this is just what junkies do". He has internalized that stigma, and sees himself as being just as worthless as society assumes him to be.

Unlike society, however, addiction does not discriminate. There is no caste system to junkie-hood. Where exactly do we think the "typical street junkie" comes from? When our ineffectual health care system, not to mention our society, continues to stigmatize, moralize and criminalize addiction, the system itself pushes people who are suffering from a chronic disease out into our streets and jails, where they become reviled as "junkies." Many of the people we see on our streets, dirty and disheveled, panhandling for their next fix have concerned families somewhere who are worried sick about them—families who are now living in poverty themselves after mortgaging their homes and spending their life savings desperately trying to obtain treatment which is more often than not inefficient and ineffective.

My son is a sweet, thoughtful young man. He loves to play guitar. He loves to make people laugh. My son is also a drug user who struggles with a disease which has had a devastating impact on his life, no thanks to our punitive, broken system which has utterly failed him at every turn. The system itself, our treatment facilities, jails and emergency rooms, perpetuate the stigma that leaves those facing a chronic disease marginalized and disempowered. And although almost every disease process includes behavioral components, the only disease in which this behavior is moralized and criminalized is addiction. Because there is an initial choice to use drugs, we wrap the entire disease process of addiction in a ribbon of personal choice, which is false and misleading. Doing so leaves no room for over a decade’s worth of research which clearly demonstrates the structural and functional brain changes of a chronic disease. The facts and research show that addiction is much more complicated than simple, individualistic ideas about willpower and choice.

We don’t criminalize or refuse treatment to people whose diseases, such as diabetes, asthma, cancer and heart disease are created or exacerbated by behavioral components such as dietary and lifestyle choices. Despite the fact that choice and behaviors contribute to these diseases, rather than stigmatizing these patients, we run 5k’s and race for a cure. Although the rates of relapse (and medication compliance) are similar for diabetes, hypertension, asthma and addiction, only those suffering from addiction are fired from treatment when it occurs. Rather than seeing relapse as part of the disease process and bringing patients directly back into the fold of treatment, rehab centers address these patients’ “failures” with discharge paperwork and sympathetic pleas to family members to keep strong boundaries, to allow the addict to face the consequences of his own behavior, and to fervently hope and pray that he will find his “bottom” before he ends up either dead or in jail.

And later, it is these same people we see tormented by addiction and living on our streets, dirty and unkempt, searching for that elusive “bottom” in dumpsters, alleys, and beds made of concrete sidewalks. Our response to this? We self-righteously blame them even further. We scornfully refer to them as “street junkies,” and complain that they are crowding our streets and draining our resources. It is us, not those suffering from addiction, who have created this horrible stereotype. The mental associations that are evoked by terms such as “junkie,” “druggie,” “dope-head,” and “addict” are constructs which society uses to avoid facing the painful reality of addiction. The stigma of addiction, which we have created, is our way of rationalizing our collective shame of dehumanizing and marginalizing an entire population of people who are suffering and dying at an alarming rate from a disease which we fear and misunderstand.

When the larger society, who lives outside of this nightmare of addiction, begins to become as furious with the junkie stereotype as those of us who are effected, then we'll know we've made some progress toward dismantling the stigma of this chronic disease and putting a human face to those who are suffering.

We can argue about language until we are tongue tied, speechless and disempowered, and we often do. But the real work of confronting stigma lies in educating people, dispelling myths and calling out the behaviors and attitudes of inhumanity, bigotry and hatred. Use the language that helps you feel most supportive of your loved ones. Never dream of disdainfully calling my son a junkie in my presence or expect a mother’s wrath. But also know that, like thousands of other parents across our country who are living this nightmare, I too, am a mother of a 'junkie' and I love my son with my whole heart.
http://www.alternet.org/print/drugs/why-i-cringe-when-my-son-calls-himself-junkie

I guess this is the sad truth. No one deserves to be treated as if their disease is their fault. Unfortunately we do that all the time.

^
It's complicated, because, unless they got hooked taking drugs for medical reasons, an addict's addiction was directly caused by their behavior. It eventually takes on a life of its own and becomes more than a simple choice, which many people fail to understand. However, they didn't start out in that place of nearly-inescapable dependence; they started out making a conscious decision. The mistake people often make is equating this blunder with immorality and not recognizing how powerful addiction becomes in its most severe stages.

I would agree that addicts and drug users in general are very often treated in an incredibly cruel and inhumane manner. The very idea of throwing them in prison for their use is an inexcusable violation of human rights and decency.

I'm not saying addicts are a bunch of evil scum. There's some possibility I will eventually join their ranks. I just don't think it's quite as simple as them suffering from a disease through no fault or no great fault of their own.

I just don't think it's quite as simple as them suffering from a disease through no fault or no great fault of their own.

In other words it's not such a deterministic picture.

The "addict" isn't totally responsible for their state of dependency in that addiction isn't totally about 100% free will ("addictive" drugs are "habit forming" after all). At the same time, it's also not 100% totally outside of their control, in that they did at one point make a decision to use whatever "habit forming" or "addictive" drug (generally a decision made more than once).

the term “junkie” conjures up is one of societal disgust—filth, danger, dishonesty, laziness, moral ineptitude.

Not automatically in my mind. For sure there are people who this fits. But in all my years I dont think I ever used or hung around them. There is a whole other type of junky as well in fact there are tons of types of junkies. Fuck the losers who use their addiction of use as an excuse to be an absolute pathetic criminal third or societal leach.

Not automatically in my mind. For sure there are people who this fits. But in all my years I dont think I ever used or hung around them. There is a whole other type of junky as well in fact there are tons of types of junkies. Fuck the losers who use their addiction of use as an excuse to be an absolute pathetic criminal third or societal leach.

This is also my experience, although I've known a lot of more stereotypical junkies too working in the field. I'm kinda proud of my self-proclaimed junkie label. I think, however, the point of the article is more about society's externally imposed notion of "junkie," not our perhaps "reclaimed" meaning/use of the word.

Still, that point was on my mind too.

Good find toothpastedog, I enjoyed the article. I have had similar thoughts and frustrations. I have struggled with addiction (to opiates, surprise surprise!) and whenever I seek medical or health advice, I have to be careful what I say, and sometimes I have resorted to bullshit and outright lies because I know that I won't be taken seriously if I complain about discomfort or seek medication that "isn't appropriate for people with drug addictions". I cease to be a patient and just get categorized as an "addict".

^Yup, this is one of the hardest part of being associated with the negative social stigmas of "Addict." I was actually talking to my dentist about this today, and he was actually really interested in methadone. Cool guy, but the exception and not the rule. Before I tried getting clean (three years ago) I hid my "addiction" like the plague. That actually worked really well, and I suffered few negative consequences of my drug use other than pharmacological side effects which I was able to identify and deal with for what they were. When I first tried to get clean and was introduced/forced into AA/NA I was really open to medical folks about my habit on the (in retrospect bad) advice of people who were supposed to be helping me. These days I keep it to myself, as I still suffer to certain degrees my willing to be open previously. Now I only talk about it when it's absolutely necessary and medically relevant, or I know for a fact that the person I'm talking isn't a bigoted, narrow minded or misinformed asshat.

My experiences in this regard seem to be the norm. Kinda ironic how we have to hide stuff like this from medical professionals if we hope to get appropriate care the vast majority of the time. To a certain degree I understand medical professionals being a bit suspicious, especially if one has a history of doctor shopping or manipulating them, but what I'm talking about goes way beyond that.

^ I love asking doctors what they think addiction is if it comes up.. it funny to see most of them squirm before their answer and especially after portions are questioned about the huge wholes in most of their answers.

EDIT: i guess thats kinda mean.. but I think the medical community would benefit greatly by a mandatory required continuing education requirement in addiction. I guess some of it also may be a little passive aggressive for how some of them try to treat us and how arogant a few doctors are. And i do mean a few cause there are so many good ones out there.

Last edited:
It's not mean never sick. A lot of them hate us. Even the doctor who posts on bluelight mydoorsareopen can barely suppress his contempt for us on our own fuckin message board. Society hates us. Tough to swallow but true. They lock us in cages and ridicule us. Even when we seek treatment any failure is seen as our problem not the practitioners. It would be funny if oncologists took the same aproach. Oh chemo failed well I guess you didn't want to live now get the fuck outta here you cancerous scumbag.

It's not mean never sick. A lot of them hate us. Even the doctor who posts on bluelight mydoorsareopen can barely suppress his contempt for us on our own fuckin message board. Society hates us. Tough to swallow but true. They lock us in cages and ridicule us. Even when we seek treatment any failure is seen as our problem not the practitioners. It would be funny if oncologists took the same aproach. Oh chemo failed well I guess you didn't want to live now get the fuck outta here you cancerous scumbag.

Especially considering when I was most honest with people about what was going on, the worse I was treated. Like my post implied, there are exceptions to this rule, but they're just that. Exceptions. Not all society and not every doctor might hate/look down on/belittle us, but most of them certainly do (ime).

I will say, however, that when I talk about what happened WITHOUT using the vocabulary of "addiction" or 12-step culture, lay people are a lot more receptive to what I've been through, experienced and accomplished regarding drug use. It's all about a more empowering, self determined vocab!

Sadly, considering how much it has helped some people (ironically, statistically it seems to have helped about the same percentage of people who are able to get clean on their own), the majority of the time the whole 12-step vocab/culture is hardly empowering.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people refer to themselves openly and proudly as junkies in NA meetings, but not by reclaiming the meaning of the word as I mentioned. Rather, they refer to themselves as junkies in a demeaning way.

Want to get treated in a demeaning way? Talk about yourself and/or treat yourself like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
These days I just dont stand for any ill treatment.. I call anyone out immediately.. I realy dont take any shit from the peanut gallery and if need be I will point out the more than ample problems that everyone has.. and I have noticed that the more judgmental and prejudiced people are towards addicts or anyone for that matter the more fucking issues they have to be pointed out.

Don't cringe unless he lets himself go to shit; unshowered, dirty clothes, no job, etc.

^
It's complicated, because, unless they got hooked taking drugs for medical reasons, an addict's addiction was directly caused by their behavior. It eventually takes on a life of its own and becomes more than a simple choice, which many people fail to understand. However, they didn't start out in that place of nearly-inescapable dependence; they started out making a conscious decision. The mistake people often make is equating this blunder with immorality and not recognizing how powerful addiction becomes in its most severe stages.

I don't know if I completely agree with the "conscious decision" part. I mean, yes, it definitely is to a great extent. I know in my case I had several other issues that pushed me towards using, most importantly being depression.

When I first got hooked on opiates I was already very depressed and I honestly just stopped caring. The thing is when you do that, if you keep using, and you DON"T OD, then at some point you have to deal with the consequences of those decisions. It begins to get very difficult when trying to get life back on track as you still have the initial problems to deal with and a whole new set of problems that arose because of your decision.

I see addiction kinda like I do Type II diabetes. No one wants to be an addict or get Type II diabetes, but certain lifestyle choices will lead them to it and once you're there it becomes terribly difficult, though not impossible, to get out. It's not a perfect analogy, but the idea here is that no one really gets chastised for being a diabetic even if they brought it on themselves by eating terribly, at least not in the way that drug addicts are made to feel like they are absolute scum.

Don't cringe unless he lets himself go to shit; unshowered, dirty clothes, no job, etc.

Exactly.

If someone wants to call themselves a junkie that's their choice.

I'm an alcoholic but I called myself a drunk, lush, when I was drinking. Now I call myself an ex-drunk since I no longer drink or use anything and I do not go on binges/benders that last for awhile where you black out.

I think one of the hardest thing for a parent to witness in the addiction of their child is the internalization of the stigma and the sense of unworthiness and self-disgust. Everything is hard: the fear and dread and reality of how close death stands next to your child, watching the criminal (in)justice machine open its jaws to devour someone that you cannot protect which goes against all your maternal or paternal instincts, watching health deteriorate, watching cognition change, hearing every single solitary day the misguided and self-righteous judgments about drugs and drug use but particularly about drug users themselves from not only strangers but from friends and family, reading sensational headline after headline.....
I could go on forever about what is hard but nothing broke my heart more than to hear my beautiful son describe himself as a "junkie loser". Nothing. Why? Because the will to fight all the other bullshit is all we have and once you have internalized the language and the deep message embedded in that language, you turn the fight on yourself even more.

herby you express yourself in that post so damn well! Thank you so much for this fine example of sagacity :)

I have to up the statement you began with though:

As heartbreaking and truly horrible as it is, an even harder, worse thing for a parent to "witness" (let's say "experience") than, in the addiction of their child, how their child internalizes the stigma and sense of worthlessness and self-disgust would be for the parent to obliviously continue, going on without recognizing that this is even happening to their child, that there is even such a process happening, limiting their "support" to the narrower focus to the "more obvious" and quantifiable drug use or whatever aspects related to the condition of addiction.

I mean, for some it's hard enough to notice the behavior directly associated with drug use and/or compulsive/impulsive patterns of behavior. Generally though, that kind of stuff is obvious enough someone's going to eventually point it out. But the stuff that's harder to quantify can often be the most insidious, I dare say much more than any drug could ever be.

For example, you can easily quantify whether you find a syringe and cooker or track marks. But such an unnatural emotional transformation, as described by herby above, even when it's what's really going to do the most harm, is much harder to quantify.

It can certainly me a vicious mf'n cycle...

Last edited by a moderator: