• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol I can't taper off alcohol. What can I do to make going cold turkey easier?

V82

Bluelighter
I had made a post a couple months ago about wanting to stop drinking.

I drink about 5 or 6 330 ml bottles of 5% beer a night. 5 during the week and 6 or rarely 7 on the weekend.

I tried to taper my use but every time by cutting down a beer every two days. But every time the weekend came I would give into temptation and have 6 again. I think I have poor self discipline.

I have 7.5 pills of 7.5mg zopiclone. Will this help me any psychological withdrawals and hopefully help me sleep?

I really want to stop drinking for a while. But I am unable to taper off properly so I am going to try cold turkey.

What else can I do to make it easier? I have the zopiclone.

I had made a post a couple months ago about wanting to stop drinking.

I drink about 5 or 6 330 ml bottles of 5% beer a night. 5 during the week and 6 or rarely 7 on the weekend.

I tried to taper my use but every time by cutting down a beer every two days. But every time the weekend came I would give into temptation and have 6 again. I think I have poor self discipline.

I have 7.5 pills of 7.5mg zopiclone. Will this help me any psychological withdrawals and hopefully help me sleep?

I really want to stop drinking for a while. But I am unable to taper off properly so I am going to try cold turkey.

What else can I do to make it easier? I have the zopiclone.

I sort of have a similar issue but I'm at 7-8 beers every night. It is very difficult to cut down. Sometimes i try to slow myself down by drinking a can of carbonated water. Doesn't work that well.

Its easier to just quit entirely than slow down. I did this once and stopped for 2 years. My consumption was higher then, maybe 10-14 drinks/night. Interestingly, to my surprise I experienced very little withdrawal. Maybe some trouble sleeping for a few nights. I really was surprised as I thought I might get sick. Never happened.

The zopiclone should help with that. I'd also recommend taking a 1-2g of taurine in the evening with maybe 1g of agmatine for perhaps a week or so.

Good luck, I want to do the same thing. Seeing how I don't enjoy alcohol, I don't really see myself as an alcoholic but rather a general opportunistic drug abuser. Would like to stop again, because like you said, cutting down is harder than just stopping.

u need 10mg Diazepam 3 times a day for 2 days. 10mg 2 times a day for 2 days. 10mg 1 time a day for 2 days and then jump. should be painless

u need 10mg Diazepam 3 times a day for 2 days. 10mg 2 times a day for 2 days. 10mg 1 time a day for 2 days and then jump. should be painless

That's assuming he can stay off the beers during that time of course. Could result in a dual addiction.

That amount of booze isn't a great deal in the grand scheme of things and the fact he hasn't graduated onto hard liquor yet is encouraging.

With grit and determination it should be fairly easy to reduce or even quit cold turkey from that amount.

The best thing to do is switch to increasingly lower alcohol beers. I'd avoid going down the benzo route because it could end badly.

That's assuming he can stay off the beers during that time of course. Could result in a dual addiction.
Agreed. Benzos do fuck all for the psychological cravings from alcohol. When you're triggered AND have lower inhibitions from benzos it's an easy recipe for relapse.

Benzos are a godsend for alcohol withdrawal but they are not foolproof.

That amount of booze isn't a great deal in the grand scheme of things and the fact he hasn't graduated onto hard liquor yet is encouraging.

With grit and determination it should be fairly easy to reduce or even quit cold turkey from that amount.

The best thing to do is switch to increasingly lower alcohol beers. I'd avoid going down the benzo route because it could end badly.
i was assuming the mofo was gonna do they part and not drink.

If you find you lack the discipline to taper yourself, but you wanna get off, you really need to check yourself into a clinical facility. If you're physically dependent on alcohol FFS don't take yourself off cold because this could literally KILL you.

Go to somewhere you'll be monitored, and be taken down gradually, and where they'll also give you medication to counteract the worst symptoms.

PS ultimately though, you'll have to ask yourself the question of what do I want from alcohol and why.
It obviously fulfils some function for you or you wouldn't keep drinking ; what is that?

.... You stand little chance of changing your behaviour if you never even come to comprehend what drives it.

Last edited:
I sort of have a similar issue but I'm at 7-8 beers every night. It is very difficult to cut down. Sometimes i try to slow myself down by drinking a can of carbonated water. Doesn't work that well.

Its easier to just quit entirely than slow down. I did this once and stopped for 2 years. My consumption was higher then, maybe 10-14 drinks/night. Interestingly, to my surprise I experienced very little withdrawal. Maybe some trouble sleeping for a few nights. I really was surprised as I thought I might get sick. Never happened.

The zopiclone should help with that. I'd also recommend taking a 1-2g of taurine in the evening with maybe 1g of agmatine for perhaps a week or so.

Good luck, I want to do the same thing. Seeing how I don't enjoy alcohol, I don't really see myself as an alcoholic but rather a general opportunistic drug abuser. Would like to stop again, because like you said, cutting down is harder than just stopping.
Ugh i am drinking about 300ml of whiskey a night i feel like shit, it's actually due to my living situation house has a gnat problem don't drink when i sleep at my friends, afraid of hitting withdrawals though. Thankfully have some benzo's incase

I know 0 about hitting alcohol DT's so i could be overstating, I have never hit it before for alcohol and don't weigh much (fast metabolism.) Good luck quitting OP !

Agreed. Benzos do fuck all for the psychological cravings from alcohol. When you're triggered AND have lower inhibitions from benzos it's an easy recipe for relapse.

Benzos are a godsend for alcohol withdrawal but they are not foolproof.
It's like trading since it's the same receptors ? GABA correct?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I feel like I mainly drink out of habit and I have bad general anxiety in the first place so it can be hard to see if I am just anxious about not drinking or going through withdrawal psychologically.

Me and my wife usually drink at night watching TV. Otherwise I don't drink during the day usually because I am driving.

I picked up some Taurine and I'm going to have 1 gram after dinner.

Hopefully stopping completely will be easier than tapering.

Good luck to everyone else trying to quit or cut down!

Booze is to benzos as weed is to spice.

Substitute booze with benzos and you'll make the situation 10 times worse - unless on a medically supervised reduction program.

(Probably better for your liver though)

Last edited:
I wish I had some benzos for tapering purposes. Haven't had a drink all day but was considering having a couple. I need to just stop before I get bad. It isn't bad now. I know from experience that after a couple days with no alcohol I'd be feeling fine again and if I have beer tonight I'll feel like this again tomorrow.

Booze is to benzos as weed is to spice.

Substitute booze with benzos and you'll make the situation 10 times worse - unless on a medically supervised reduction program.

(Probably better for your liver though)
Mis understood deleted last post. Yeah I am prescribed, I don't recommend swapping if one is a problem, just use for DT's.

I agree completely.

As for spice got me through my first opiate withdrawal I.V Hydromorphone in 2007, because my mom thought weed was evil and spice was good because it was still legal til the next year in Florida... Anywho it was a godsend AT the time, but hate spice. Hate it all personally. Trying to get as clean as possible for my mortality chances to have a long life with the wifey.

clonidine/propanolol/prazocin really help in any downer withdrawal

also high cbd low thc pot, if you do that i recommend edibles
Chlordiazepoxide can help with the Delirium Tremens, but if your that bad you likely need medical supervision.

Tonight so far I bought 1x 16oz beverage at 12% and two 25oz hard seltzer at 5%. That's instead of my usual 3-5x 16oz @12%. To me that's still not a huge quantity of alcohol but I've been doing it daily long enough that it's noticeable not having it. Planning to taper off over the next few days. Maybe just 1 or 2 more days. Only problem is I usually use alcohol to help me get to sleep. I've got nothing comparable to help me with sleep when I stop. Have to stop again bc it's affecting me....recently I had half a gram of deschloroetizolam which I mainly used for sleep inducing purposes at high doses. If only I had it now and not awhile back. I'd order some but it's from another country and shipping takes like two weeks.