• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I boiled my glass weed pipe to clean it and….

i used this tek

the water was to get the nasty burnt smell/ taste out of there. i just added it to the naphtha/ rez solution and shook it. i might have done it more than once.

i have a few photos of what i did, lemme see if i can find it.
I'm curious what the final product looked like

After taking the pipe out of the boiling water I grabbed the pot which had a thick layer of crap on top and was tossed in the sink which quickly hardened and won’t come off either the bottom of the sink or the pot I used ☹️☹️, regular dish cleaning stuff does absolutely nothing so the question is what can I use that’ll definitely get it off , thank you in advance

Don’t bother cleaning with steel wool (or more boiling water).

1. Acetone or nail polish remover
2. Lighter fluid
3. Isopropyl alcohol or
4. High proof ethanol (160 proof or 80% abv)

it’s a chemical issue, so attack it with chemicals. Either of the alcohols is a safer option, but the first 2 would work just as well.

Tom

edit: I see others have mentioned alcohols. better living through chemistry has been my motto since college 🇨🇦 I’m not too ashamed to admit that years ago I disassembled a build-a-bong, placed the pieces in a pot, covered the pieces with heavy cream and simmered it. Didn’t clean it, but enough cannabinoids were extracted to make foul tasting hot chocolate.

Last edited:
i use that Formula 420 to clean my pieces - works nice but yea a little costly
Complete waste of money. Those products are literally 3 2 ingredients you can buy yourself:

1. Isopropyl alcohol
2. Grain Salt
3. Food coloring

that's literally all those "420 cleaning" products are.... and they charge $20 in the store when you can make your own for less than $4.

Bottle of iso - $3
Salt - $1?

I always just use isopropyl alcohol, salt and/or some other abrasive, shake it up inside a large bag. Sometimes it takes a few washes and is tedious, but the safest for your glassware.
For pipes: 91% isopropyl alcohol and kosher salt in a ziplock bag with the opening twisted shut rather than zipped (may leak if just zipped). Shake profusely. Q tips for added detail cleaning.

My bubbler is small enough I don't put it in a bag. Just cover the holes with fingers and shake like hell.

The best way I’ve found is to simply throw in a topped Pyrex with iso cover for a month. Then pull out and run water through it. Literally cleans it perfectly every time. Any resin that sticks to the bowl of the sink, iso off.

-GC

I like that link, the process for cleaning up resin is one I’ve never seen before. I want to give that a try cuz it saddens me how much cannabinoids I lose in the resin.

I’ve done a similar extraction before though with regular plant matter. When I would do isomerizations when I was younger I would do it with methanol, then filter out plant material, flood with equal amount of water and watch as the oil drops out. Sometimes it won’t but most of the time it does. Then extracted with toluene, but hexane is a much better choice.

I’m gonna start saving my resin now. Every time I do a pipe wash I’ll evaporate that in a dish until I have a sizable quantity then give it a go. Even better is the product is decarboxylated and can be eaten.

-GC

Don’t bother cleaning with steel wool (or more boiling water).

1. Acetone or nail polish remover
2. Lighter fluid
3. Isopropyl alcohol or
4. High proof ethanol (160 proof or 80% abv)

it’s a chemical issue, so attack it with chemicals. Either of the alcohols is a safer option, but the first 2 would work just as well.

Tom

edit: I see others have mentioned alcohols. better living through chemistry has been my motto since college 🇨🇦 I’m not too ashamed to admit that years ago I disassembled a build-a-bong, placed the pieces in a pot, covered the pieces with heavy cream and simmered it. Didn’t clean it, but enough cannabinoids were extracted to make foul tasting hot chocolate.

actually sounds num (hot choco with resin or what ev in it), but heard word of putting a benzo under tongue and i like the taste`cheers and to happy cleaning

After taking the pipe out of the boiling water I grabbed the pot which had a thick layer of crap on top and was tossed in the sink which quickly hardened and won’t come off either the bottom of the sink or the pot I used ☹️☹️, regular dish cleaning stuff does absolutely nothing so the question is what can I use that’ll definitely get it off , thank you in advance
I’m surprised how many people use chemicals to clean a pipe , boil it amd its done , just dont dump the contents while the pot is red hot ,

I’m surprised how many people use chemicals to clean a pipe , boil it amd its done , just dont dump the contents while the pot is red hot ,

Cuz boiling it is risky. Many have broken valuable pieces that way. Most of these “chemicals” are fairly benign, isopropyl alcohol is safe (unless drank of course) and found in most peoples medicine cabinets.

Also boiling doesn’t clean as well as the isopropyl method. It works decent but isopropyl method gives you a brand new pipe. Especially if one does a second rinse after the initial cleaning to get the residue from the first soak.

-GC

Yep. Isopropyl alcohol is your friend.

I use it to clean my grinders all the time.

You'd be amazed at how much can be retrieved from a seemingly clean grinder.

Acetone is too corrosive and will attack paint and plastics and leaves a difficult to remove residue.

Cuz boiling it is risky. Many have broken valuable pieces that way. Most of these “chemicals” are fairly benign, isopropyl alcohol is safe (unless drank of course) and found in most peoples medicine cabinets.

Also boiling doesn’t clean as well as the isopropyl method. It works decent but isopropyl method gives you a brand new pipe. Especially if one does a second rinse after the initial cleaning to get the residue from the first soak.

-GC
Oh , i just thought it would have a greater chance of an aftertaste

Ill try alcohol next time and just give it a water bath afterwards to remove the alcohol taste

Typically the cleaning hierarchy for tar on glassware goes something like.

Soap and warm water,
Solvents mild>aggressive,
Corrosive chemicals. From like baking soda to sulphuric acid,
And then if all else fails Piranha solution.

Piranha is hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid so its nasty shit. Dont make this if you dont know what you are doing.