• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I am on Methadone, and still donated my liver!?

doubleheadedeagle

Bluelighter
Hello everyone.

I'll give you all some background information, so you can understand why this happened.

My sister was diagnosed with acute l. leukemia 5 years ago, she was treated for some time with chemotherapy but on November of lasts year leukemia reappeared. On the 23 december I donated my stem cells or bone marrow (dont know which) for her and everything went okay, she started to get better. Five months later her bilirubin levels started to increase, first signs that something was wrong, was that she had uncontrolable itch, then she started to get pale and then everything was unstoppable, she experienced liver failure. They tried for several months to prevent liver transplant with plasmapheresis and photopheresis but with no success.

So the surest way for her to be saved was for me to donate my liver to her. She couldn't wait any longer because her kidneys started to show signs of damage too. The cause of her liver damage is Graft versus host desease and all the radiation and chemotherapy.

So now 7 days ago we had the operation, everything went good for her and the post operative test are showing signs that she is getting better.

Sorry for the long introduction and back story but you should now in what situation I was in.
When I showed up for the pre-operative tests I did not tell them that I am an addict,I was willing to sacrifice my wellbeing for her and I knew that they would not allow me to donate if I told them.

For 6 days I experienced withdrawals because I was in intensive care unit and could not get my maintenance dose.

Now after six days I took my dose, which luckily isnt much because I tapered down to only 20 miligrams.
My concern is, could methadone do me harm to my still not developed liver?
Because I am feeling aches that I did not feel before I took methadone. The side of my liver is aching, people are telling that it is normal but still. I am really concerned because if something happens to me, my sister can not live without me.

Thanks before hand for any help and insight all of you will give.

Peace and love.

Wow bro my hat goes off to your unconditional love for your sister! Also dont let anybody tell you that you didnt do the right thing because your absolutely right they would have denied the transplant if you told them and we both know its irrelevant information but could have costed her life so good job on that and that 6 days of sacrifice brother i dont know how many people could honestly say theyd do the same. Back to your question though OP yes there is a marginal risk to your still developing liver but not any worst than say drinking hard liquor to a fully developed liver, especially at only 20 mg and taking no other meds right? I cant say there is absolutely no risk at all but the risk of not taking the methadone is far greater to your body and health [ imagine withdrawing to that extreme with a liver at like 35 percent capacity what that shock of bile production and vomiting would do to the liver ] than taking the methadone. I think your good OP in fact i strongly encourage you to continue this path in the current direction your going brother. Peace and love