• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I am dealing with Insomnia and I want the bluelight community to help me

IMO valerian is garbage but that's me. I'm really interested in kanna, the more i read about it, the more i want to try it. It's too bad it hasn't been studied well and it's active ingrediants not synthesized and been made available to the RC market yet :)

the thing with any type of kratom is that it's going to be stimulating, bali in higher doses has the sedative effects you're looking for but there's still a hint of stimulation which will not make sleeping or anxiety any better. If kanna + kratom isn't cutting it for sleep then i'd use trazadone or whatever helps temporarily. If it's not a chronic thing then i'd even recommend just getting a day or two's worth of codeine and sleeping with that and an antihistamine of some sort.

of course this is just my opinion and i'm not a dr or your dr for that matter. I suffer from severe chronic insomnia and have since i could first remember, so i know how desperate things get sometimes for sleep.

How about melatonin or 5-htp? That works wonders for some people. I know melatonin really helps me get some sleep sometimes.

5-htp kind of stimulates me and hurts my balls, but melatonin works okay for some people, not for chornic insomniacs but shift workers, people with no light in their day or people who have low melatonin, it can work wonders. I'd recommend trying it before anything else and keep the dose low.

Btw the thing about Exercise I completely agree with you on it, maybe I will try running outside in the cold or brisk walking, thanks again. I've been a bit lazy lately with exercise and this can have effects on my mood and sleep.

I would definitely focus on cardio as well as muscular exercises to get the best sleep.

^This is true. It's easy to find out the options for how to take valerian or kava. For both you can just eat the powder, put it in capsules, or make a tea. The traditional method for kava is to crush the root (if it's not crushed already), put it in a piece of cloth (like a piece of a t-shirt fabric or whatever), hold the cloth making a bag so that the kava can't escape, and swish the bag part around in a bowl of room-temperature water for quite a while, then drink the resulting liquid. All kava is different and who knows what the potency will be so just drink a small cup to start and then you can get an idea for dosing from there. But I find it's just easier to down some powder or capsules. I'm sure there are additional ways to take kava as well. For valerian you just prepare it like you would any tea. Check out this link: How to Prepare, Brew, and How Long to Steep Valerian Root Tea. Again, you will have to experiment to find out the dosage that works best for you.

I also highly recommend you incorporate things like sleep hygiene, sleep music, meditation, sleep hypnosis, etc. You don't want to rely on taking anything long-term for sleep, natural or not. I'm glad you're goal is to incorporate exercise and relaxation techniques as well.

And yes, the weather/light levels could definitely be affecting your sleep and mood.

I assume you meant to say REM sleep, but that's not actually true, it is deep sleep that is most important for feeling rested and refreshed.

Hey, wanted to give you all an update, anyhow yesterday I did some brisk walking/speed walking for 40 minutes or so then I did some 10-12 minutes of jogging in the evening and then as I was going to bedtime I took 3 herbal tablets they had valeriana, melissa folium, st.johns wort in em and I had one cup of warm Valeriana tea and I had my Kanna Sceletium Tortu. I fell asleep at 12 and slept till 6 I woke up watched some stuff on my pc and then ate my breakfast and then I fell asleep again sleep an hour and a half or two hours about so yea my insomnia got a bit better , I think when I woke up and ate something that helped me fall asleep again as it redirected blood flow( from head to the gut) . Anyhow I will try to exercise everyday, everyday even if I feel a bit lethargic or tired as I do today and crap I have an exam on Tuesday its on Pharmacognosy, Plants Alkaloids its a freaking hard exam and I have to study my material today though I feel unmotivated, stressed. BTW I am feeling slightly ill do you all recommend i still think I can do some light jogging and speed walking but no running so I will pace myself tonight when I jog and listen to my music go light but keep at it 15 to 20 minutes. Yea I use Recreational drugs though my drugs of choice are Amphetamine Sulphate powder( which I've done many weekends) , I tried Cocaine once, I tried Mephedrone once , and yea I occasional like to smoke some weed and I like to trip out on shrooms sometimes, and Kratom of course and the Kanna lol. You want to know what though Marijuana I like it, it helps put me to sleep but it fucks with my mood the next day sometimes im more irritable or anxious same thing with Kratom I can use those at night to knock me out and great they work but the next day I feel the fact that I havent gotten refreshing sleep. But Nonetheless pot is good occasionally but it gets you too chilled out at least for me and gives me a headspace I dont give a f'''. Since New years eve I haven't touched stimulants only caffeine though my consumption isnt insane so I know they are not the cause of my sleeplessness. I will use em again after I get through this phase and through my exams though I try and keep usage in moderation, amphetamines that is.

Crap I like Psychedelic drugs I was thinking about trying Hawaian baby rosewood seeds those things are good for a down mood and they are good at helping with sleep they are sedating but only thing i hate about em is nausea. Mushrooms are so stimulating and energizing for me but the afterglow with mushrooms generally helps with my mood and I know that if I tripped out one night I could sleep a lot better for a few days.

But yea Last night the exercise and then the evening combo of herbal crap helped me out. Valeriana seems to work for me I took a higher dosage last night and Kanna helps too. So tonight I will do the same Exercise listen to music take a hot shower and take a combo of herbal crap and fall asleep the psychedelics I cant get em now maybe later on though. Those trippy seeds are great for sleep and they are so sedating but damn I hate how nausea's I get if I take a high dosage and I end up puking its crap.

I am just mentioning these things cause I too deal with Insomnia but not as bad as you robottripping and you synthetix. Because I am always able to fall asleep but I either get early awakenings or I get unrestful sleep not always but yea this has been going on the past week. Like last night after the exercise and after the routine I told you all about I went to sleep at 12 and woke up at 6.20 in the morning and I am 21 years old so you know its kinda of hard on a young mans body so I watch some documentary and film on my computer for 2 hours till 8 than head out to a bakery buy food eat that and after eating that I fall asleep for another two hours. What I notice during the day is that my mental energy is low that my motivation, my usual outgoing persona and such traits are low, I feel mentally fatigued and I also feel a little bit ill with slight bronchitis and a stuffy nose and achy throat, I feel low so to say, maybe its SAD or maybe its the current stress load that im dealing with. Nonetheless for these day time symptoms cause I have to study today my exam is on tuesday I drank 2 redbulls and took Bali Red Kratom which is stimulating and also took Ginseng and now my mental energy is a bit better at least for studying.

Yea Kratom is an awesome substance I have to praise it can alleviate anxiety, depression, low energy,Mental fatigue, Inflammation, pain and it increases feelings of well being and yea lately due to all this crap( stress) I have been using Kratom more the past two weeks and smoking more green the past two weeks. Also I have been hitting Kanna Sceletium Tortuosum. The main point is I took Bali Red a stimulating strain to deal with these day time symptoms I think I am dealing with mild depression or anxiety or some crap. Anyhow my insomnia isn't the worst so I didnt take the Trazodone and I didnt use Kratom last night , my insomnia consists of early awakenings and low quality sleep, Exercise and herbs help, I took a special herbal capsule blend called Nervenpflege its a German Herbal concotion and it is very effective especially short term treatment of Insomnia. The main reason I get Insomnia is cause I am a anxious individual.

If somebody can message me personally or privately with some approaches to deal with anxiety and maybe some relaxation techniques I would greatly appreciate it. Anyhow I have been to a Psychologists once for Anxiety though I hate relying on them they take your money and it takes a long time to solve something she recommended Body relaxation techniques to me where you imagine a certain part of your body to relax and you think about that body part and I was using those techniques last night and I will try out the relaxation today a few times, and exercise.

Oh yea for anxiety and Depression and Insomnia I recommend all of you to try out Sceletium Tortuosum , Kanna it is initially stimulating but its effects progress to Sedation it is one of the most potent natural Mood lifters and Sedatives out there it originated in South Africa , It was used frequently in South Africa by tribes and by warriors who returned from battle to relieve their anxious mood they also made tinctures that were used for anxiolytic and analgetic effects . It has effects More potent than tricyclic antidepressant Imipramine. I took a 15 strength extract last night , its pharmacology complete is not understood though it induced some Euphoria to me last night and it helped calm my soul and helped me sleep. It has synergy with Cannabis and Alcohol.
Alcohol is the worst treatment for insomnia in any case makes my insomnia worse, Marijuana has the effect I described above but nonetheless is a lot better than Alcohol Cannabis has relatively low toxicity to the human body and is relatively safe. Pot helps me sleep but sometimes the next day i am slightly anxious or irritable i call the a rebound effect of course occasionally litting up to nap aint bad.

The reason I mentioned Shrooms and Psychedelic is because they had such a positive effect on my mental side, I felt the connection with the Universe and I had a really good mushroom trip and I would trip out again. The days after tripping> I feel a lot better, calmer and I my soul is at peace no muscular tension and my sleep is very good restful. I really hope that Medical research on Psilocybin, THC, CBD and I hope that CBD comes out as a extract or spray or capsule like medicine for insomnia and other ailments.
Makes me wonder if Psilocybin is a good medication for insomnia? Many substances have unbelievable medical effects.
Yea I am kinda of like the Incas and Mayans acztecs I do consider some of the psychoactive plants, herbs and fungi Divine.

and yea the Kanna is an appetite suppressant anybody wanting to loose weight look into that herb. I am taking a sublingual dosages, Dependence can occur but is usually psychological no physical addictiveness it relieves anxiety quite well and me being as anxious as I am I have been relying on it a lot :):);)

Last edited:
I have insomnia at the moment. I have etizolam and zopiclone, which do the job perfectly, but I don't want to take them every night.
What I recommend is the 'sleepy-tired' method. Pretty simple:
1. Don't go to bed at a set time every night, only go when you are 'sleep-tired'. I mean, ready to just drop off.
2. go to bed. If you're not asleep within 30 minutes get up again and wait til you're sleep tired.
3. go back to bed. If you're not asleep within 30 minutes, try again.
4. get up at a set time every day, if you've managed to sleep or not.

Keep doing this til your pattern is stabilised.

I'm starting this tonight, it was recommended by my gp. She gave me zopiclone for really stubborn nights, but it's only a 2 week, short-term supply.

Good luck

^Yeah, that method should also include going to bed early if you are tired early (otherwise you might get a "second wind" and not feel tired later), and if you do get out of bed because you're not sleeping do not do anything stimulating - do not go on the computer, keep lights dim, etc. Things like reading a non-exciting book, meditating, listening to soothing music would be appropriate activities for when you can't sleep.

yea my insomnia does not consist of having trouble falling asleep but rather my insomnia consists of just getting up way to early feeling restlessness and anxiousness and not being able to fall asleep again. Anyhow today this happened and I had to take trazodone to help me out but tonight I am changing up my bed time routine and tommorrow I have two big exams. I find running soothes my nerves and I find that it eases anxiety a lot even though its a bitch to run in the cold weather and even though running hurts interesting to note the more pain I generate through running the more it helps with sleep and anxiety.
:D

As insignificant as they may seem, little lights from things like TV sets and computers can actually affect sleep, as your photoreceptors respond to that light.

Another thing you may want to try is taking a hot shower before going to bed, and setting the temperature of your bedroom a bit cooler - this makes sleeping easier.

I read the first couple posts and did not take the liberty of reading all the rest, so there may be some redundancies in what I say.

My first suggestion would be to use dimenhydrate (Gravol). Only take one tab about 20 mins before sleeping. Try not to use it every night. Also find Doxylamine Succinate. Use this on nights where you do not want to use gravol in order to keep tolerance down. Do this for up to 2 weeks. If you have troubles past this point (which would be 4 weeks after stopping amps) go to a doc. I live in Canada so I would reccomend any walk in clinic or a GP if you want to wait for an appointment. Most docs will prescribe Zopiclone to help you out and give you between 12 and 30 tabs. I personally find Zopiclone to be very more-ish because it really does knock you the fuck out.. T1T PO HS... 1!!!

I have had insomnia my entire life and the medications I have mentioned help me.

BUT!!!! Above all else and I mean above all fucking else, do at LEAST 45 mins of 60-80% effort cardio like running, swimming or biking. This will help you more than anything!!

If you are still having trouble I suggest what others have said about milk and chamomile. Camomile tea physically does lower heart rate. Fact. Melatonin on the other hand is still under scrutiny be the scientifcally inclined. It wont harm you, but you could be wasting your money. However it may even be effective enough as a placebo so whatever floats your boat.

ALSO (didnt think I knew this much lol) try not to have much exposure to screens around an hour before bed. Like people said about circadian rhythms, yes light affects your biological clock. Instead read a book, I suggest anything by Rohinton Mistry.

Maybe masturbate lol.

My fellow bluelighters I am dealing with some slight Insomnia.
Wanted to ask you all what are some natural measures I could take to restore my energy levels and reduce insomnia.

Another note I have Kratom lying around Bali Kratom and Maeng Da Kratom, Do you all consider this a good measure for short term Insomnia. Do you think Kratom the sedating variants could be good at alleviating insomnia and increasing my Energy?
Also What about Valeriana Root and what is the best way to produce Valierana Root?
I also have Kanna Sceletium Tortuosum I use that frequently as a sedative, it seems effective.

One more note, What could it indicate if one sleeps enough but people are telling him he looks tired and he should lay down and sleep. What does that mean??
cause last night my insomnia got bad but most nights I sleep okay but I still get comments from people like you look tired you need to lay down and sleep but I feel fine, maybe slightly lethargic on the other note I live in a country where as of this moment not too much Sunlight very long dark nights and cold days and yea I am student and under pressure with exams. Could the climate be effecting my mood and insomnia???

Thanks please somebody input I beg off you.

Oh my fucking lord that horrible, awful drug..
Kratom..

Just having to type it I flashed back to horrific memories of my one and only time using the drug..
I too decided to use it to sleep for its apparent "sedative qualities". I bought an ounce in a bali powder form and took about 1-2g to test the waters. I felt next to nothing, and I consider smoking a cigarette on occasion "something" because of the slight nicotine rush, I mean I felt like NOTHING. The only thing I could maybe feel (if not placebo) was a slightly more positive and energetic mood. Nothing that I would really use the drug for, it was like the feeling you get when you get a good night's sleep, wake up and realize you're off from work/school. Like I said hardly noticeable, if at all.

Later that night I had decided to do quite a bit, cause I had researched it and I remembered that the lower doses are more uplifting while the higher doses have sedative effects. I had done plenty of research and I decided to do about 16-20g or so, I figured that would be enough to really knock me out. So I was taking my time, slowly doing the "put water in your mouth, then pour some powder in, and then swallow" method, and it was going pretty well. I thought it tasted rather good, contrary to what a lot of people had said previously, and I didn't mind the weird soggy dust feel in my mouth too much.

Well after taking my whole dose which left maybe about 1/4th of the bag I had purchased left, I decided that it was enough to probably feel the effects. So i brushed my teeth and went to bed. This is when my horrific experience happened. I laid in bed, and I was wide awake. I tried so hard to shut my eyes, but I could only keep them closed for about 5-10 seconds, I figured it was probably just in the uplifting phase and soon I would be tired enough to fall asleep. Five minutes passed, ten minutes passed, twenty minutes passed, I started to wonder if it would ever kick in, or if I hadn't done enough. After about thirty minutes of waiting I felt the worst I have felt on any sort of drug. With alcohol you at least get the "intoxicated" feel and even though you might feel sick, or nauseous it's still a nice buzz. Even my first times smoking cigarettes, I would get extremely sick, but the uplifting feeling of tons of nicotine was nice. With Kratom I felt nothing but shit. I felt uncomfortable in my own skin as if I was being microwaved and all my flesh was about to explode out my skin, my stomach felt like molten lead, and my heart was racing to the point where it felt as if I had just run a race. I tried breathing deeply, running my fans on high, walking around a bit, but nothing worked. One hour passed, two hours passed, around the third or fourth hour I felt so sick and light-headed I knew I was about to throw up. I ran, bleary-eyed to the bathroom and just barely made it in time for the *hands-down* worst experience I've EVER had throwing up. I was literally just throwing up sand. I thought for sure it was probably scratching my throat to the point of bleeding, and it was so viscous and thick that it took forever coming out of my mouth. It was so slow, and hurt so bad, I was crying and just begging for the experience to be over. After like five minutes of one of the worst experiences of my life, I washed my mouth out and went to lay down again.

I felt better, but I still was nowhere near being able to sleep and I was STILL feeling the effects I previously described. Four hours passed, five hours passed, I finally decided I just wasn't going to sleep, there's no possible way I could catch any sleep. This made me extremely upset because I had work the next morning (few hours now at this point) and it was a very laborious job that required a lot of energy. I got up out of my bed again and walked over to my couch. It felt like I had swallowed glass and every step I took just shook all of it in my stomach, it hurt very bad. I made it to my couch, sat down and proceeded to just play some video games for a few hours, this helped me focus on something other than the pain/nausea, but there were times where I would have to set my controller down, and just meditate for a second. After the last few hours I allotted myself to sleep had passed, I threw on my work uniform, grabbed some water and an energy drink and went to work.

Some time after I got to work the effects subsided and I felt normal again, which made me feel orgasmic in comparison to the hours of pain I had just been through. I sipped my energy drink throughout the day to keep me going, and luckily I didn't have a long shift, however when I got home I still couldn't really sleep that well and just decided to drink water the rest of the day and wait until night time came about before trying again.

I read online that taking too much kratom will result in the "panic attack" that I had went through, but there is no amount of convincing or info-posting that would convince me to do the drug again. It was hands down, the worst drug experience I've ever had and I would only recommend taking it to my worst of enemies. I seriously recommend against taking ANY kratom EVER, but I'm sure other users will have their opinions as well. I thought I would post my story so that it was easy to understand why I say to not do this drug, but as for insomnia, I find that melatonin and valerian root work quite well with one another, especially if taken at the same time every night. I found both of the supplements that I take at a nearby pharmacy for an okay price (the valerian root was rather expensive). I found that the melatonin on it's own was good enough to get me to sleep regularly and I still use it to this day, but the valerian root definitely made a difference and helps.

I would imagine that the colder climate might attribute to a lack of energy if you aren't taking in enough calories, but I am not really well informed on this subject so I would rather not recommend anything that might negatively affect your health.

TL;DR - NEVER TAKE KRATOM EVER. Valerian root and melatonin are awesome. Might be the climate but idk

I just got a tazo brand tea called relax and it has rose and valerian root in it. Make a double dose of it and let it steep a while and it will help you sleep. Works wonders for me.

Another thing you may want to try is taking a hot shower before going to bed, and setting the temperature of your bedroom a bit cooler - this makes sleeping easier.

This is good advice. The gradual drop in your body's temperature, after a bath or a shower, makes you feel drowsy. That's why people tend to enjoy finding the 'cold spot' in bed during the night, ie: moving to other side of the bed, or exposing a leg to the elements.

Sublingual melatonin is the most natural way. I tend to think a night cap or two works pretty well and is safer than taking ambien or something so thats what I do.

I was suffering from insomnia caused by withdrawals from etizolam.. I started getting acupuncture and it has worked wonders.. I was sleeping only 1-3 hours per night prior to the acupuncture (some nights not at all) After my first acupuncture treatment I slept over 10 hours. I have been consistently sleeping 6-8 hours per night since then.. I would certainly recommend you try acupuncture..

Have insomnia myself (the one where you just can't fall asleep because my brain just wont shut up), after I fall asleep there are no problems and even if something wakes me up I can go back to sleep in a few minutes)

Of the natural stuff this is what I've found helpful:

-skipping one day of sleep each week also helps. Just make sure you have nothing important to do next day, that your healthy (lack of sleep can temporarily fuck your immune system when you do it) and don't fall asleep waiting for the night
-a big meal before bed time (some say this makes it worse, but a full stomach makes falling a sleep much easier for me
-instead of thinking about rl stuff and trying to sleep, make some stories and think of those (if you're lucky you may even dream about them)
-be sure that your room is a little cold (not freazing, just a little bellow normal)
-if you can, get a job that gets you come in a bit later in exchange for staying a bit longer
-my cat, having her curl close to me and start purring is really nice to

Turns out another reason I had insomnia was withdrawal from Amphetamines:X The withdrawal from Amphetamine is so damn Mental. I get a depression from that last like a week and makes the whole world feel black and everything slightly worthless. But that is 33 percent of the reason The other reasons are exams, University stress life stress. So many reasons anyhow my insomnia got better.
Valeriana Root helps, St.Johns wort, Sceletium tortuosum, Kanna helps out a lot. Cardiovascular exercise like running and staying away from Amphetamines.:D
And Smoking some pot. And also traveling . I did a bit of traveling this week and changed my scenery and these days I am sleepng 9 hours a night:D But when I am back in my more stressful environment my sleep is disturbed.:|

Anyhow I am using Amphetamines a lot less they are a biatch of a drug. I consider the high on it a lot stronger than on Cocaine and I was using Amphetamine Sulphate only not Methamphetamine and I was taking it nasally. FU''' the Euphoria is grant on Amphetamines but the crashes keep getting harder and the depression to me its always at a moderate level even a week after I had only slight usage. This most certainly I realized effected my Sleeping patterns hence I cut down usage or cut out usage using only 1 or twice a month too hard to completely avoid. :D Other reasons are life stressors and hard exams and loneliness and shit so many things can effect your sleep.
What i know though is that Exercise especially running and biking help out a lot... And swimming as well even walking. Cutting out drug usage helps but occasionally smoking weed seems to ease Insomnia.
St.Johns wort, Valeriana root and another herb that I frequently use with significant antidepressant and calming effects its called Kanna Sceletium tortuosum I recommend that as well.

I got my insomnia some what undercontrol now.
Trazodone and benzos are great for insomnia but they are a bit strong make you feel drugged up and its not good to rely on em constantly.
I wish I had some benzos though like Xanax, Temazepam, Valium lying around just for those really bad nights of insomnia.

BTW I think Trazodone has a good effect on Sleep architecture but what about Benzos which benzos least disrupt your sleeping pattern and allow you to get the most beneficial sleep??
Thanks
and does anybody know websites that they could PM me about where I could order benzos and sleeping pills its hard for doctors to prescribe meds in my country.

My insomnia is the worse I'm trying to work out the perfect amount to take. I take zolopidem 10mg. Is this the normal strength or could I take another one. Cheers