View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hyperventilating before Nitrous

Forever Jung

Greenlighter
I have been doing a bunch of nitrous lately trying out all kinds of different techniques, I thought my tolerance was going to prevent me from completely fading out until I tried for the first time taking deep full breaths as fast as I can (~20 breaths or as long as it takes me to fill my canister). After I hit a full lungful of nitrous, I find I can hold it longer without wanting to breathe, and can also do short breaths of air out my nose to make sure I'm getting at least some oxygen. I sit with my eyes closed focused on my shallow nose breathing until I start to fade out, once completely dissociated I let my breath out and wake up thinking other people were around me when it was just me alone the whole time.

2 Questions. 1) is it bad for any reason to hyperventilate before taking nitrous? 2) How long is it safe to hold my hits in breathing shallowly thru my nose, before my brain gets hypoxic?

1. No hyperventilating isn't dangerous.

2. Imagine holding your breath for like a minute and a half, you don't hurt yourself. :)

I like to rebreath nitrous......just inhale exhale from slash to the balloon till I go OBE. Hmmm, thanks for remindimg me that I better get some for the weekend's planned O-pce trip. ?

2 Questions. 1) is it bad for any reason to hyperventilate before taking nitrous? 2) How long is it safe to hold my hits in breathing shallowly thru my nose, before my brain gets hypoxic?

I have a lot of experience doing this and the practice is generally safe though it potentiates the nitrous tremendously. My first post on Bluelight describes in great depth the process. I would hyper-oxygenate for 15 minutes before breathing nitrous using a technique called rebirthing. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that such a practice detracted from the purity of the breathwork and I have stopped doing it. It does however increase awareness of the nitrous and potentiate the effects significantly. I believe this practice makes consuming nitrous safer and less prone to hypoxia.

It is important to understand that hyperventilation is not the desired form of breathing -- hyperoxygenation is. The difference between the two has to do with the way the exhale is performed. You want to exhale in as relaxed a way as possible. Don't force the exhale. Release it like a sigh. Forcing the exhale cause carbon dioxide to be released from the blood and leads to an odd light-headedness and clenching called tetany. While this isn't dangerous per se, it is less desirable. Do not leave pauses between the inhale and exhale and slightly exaggerate the breath but not too much. Several minutes of this breath should do the trick. Deep journeying requires about 15 minutes.