• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Hydroxyzine vs Benadryl

blockbusterparty

Bluelighter
Okay. So I realize these are the names the drugs go by in the U.S. I am wondering if there is some real difference to make the Hydroxyzine (vistaril) prescription while the Benadryl is not. Is it stronger? Just curious.

Thanks.

Yes, Hydroxyzine is the most potent of the " Classical" antihistamines,, and also sports some mild anti-anxiety (anxzyiolytic) effects

However, low doses should not be RX only because it is just so safe; unlike diphenhydramine, and even promethazine (Phenergan), Hydroxyzine has no anticholinergic effects, so it would take over a gram to experience side effects

Granted, IV administration is dangerous, yet the Pamaote, (Common name Vistiril) is not water soluble

Note that both Hydroxyzine and promethazine are otc in other countries and they should be

BTW, Hydroxyzine KI ~1, diphenhydramine closer to 20, cannot remember promethazine

Desloradine is 0.4, though it d I es not freely penetrate the BBB / Central nervous system

Hope this helps

I find benadryl works way better then the other for my allergies

Yes, Hydroxyzine is the most potent of the " Classical" antihistamines,, and also sports some mild anti-anxiety (anxzyiolytic) effects

However, low doses should not be RX only because it is just so safe; unlike diphenhydramine, and even promethazine (Phenergan), Hydroxyzine has no anticholinergic effects, so it would take over a gram to experience side effects

Granted, IV administration is dangerous, yet the Pamaote, (Common name Vistiril) is not water soluble

Note that both Hydroxyzine and promethazine are otc in other countries and they should be

BTW, Hydroxyzine KI ~1, diphenhydramine closer to 20, cannot remember promethazine

Desloradine is 0.4, though it d I es not freely penetrate the BBB / Central nervous system

Hope this helps
I cannot use desloratadine for severe pollen allergy because it does absolutely nothing for me, but cetirizine, levocetirizine and to them related hydroxyzine stop all my symptoms completely.

Yeah, there's no reason to control hydroxyzine more than diphenhydramine. The latter is abused as an anticholinergic delirant while hydroxyzine lacks this component. It has a wider dosage window as well, it's used from as little as 10mgs to 100mg.

Diphenhydramine also can be pretty weak, for me it does nothing to help me fall asleep even with 100mg.

Yeah, there's no reason to control hydroxyzine more than diphenhydramine. The latter is abused as an anticholinergic delirant while hydroxyzine lacks this component. It has a wider dosage window as well, it's used from as little as 10mgs to 100mg.

Diphenhydramine also can be pretty weak, for me it does nothing to help me fall asleep even with 100mg.
I think it's more controlled just because it has a psychiatric indication. In some countries, alimemazine is OTC as a 7.5mg/5ml syrup (Vallergan, anti-allergy) but you need an Rx for 5mg tablets (Theralene, sedative-hypnotic).

In the 50/60s, there were lots of OTC "daytime sedatives" marketed in the US as stress-relievers/anxiolytics/whatever. I think a lot of them were just antihistamines, like 50mg pyrilamine or 50mg phenyltoloxamine. Or else belladonna alkaloids, like scopolamine 0.25mg which was in Sominex, IIRC, a popular OTC sleeping pill.

I find hydroxyzine quite a bit more "relaxing" than other antihistamines, but not too sedating -- I'd usually add 25mg diphenhydramine or 12.5mg doxylamine at least if I needed to sleep.

The primary difference between the two, in my experience and those of others, is that there are less of what I believe are called "anti-cholinergic" effects associated with Hydroxyzine (Vistaril; Atarax) as opposed to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). I tend to recommend Hydroxyzine to folks who are in withdrawal while contraindicating Diphenhydramine for the Restless Legs and stuff that it tends to exacerbate. Otherwise, I think they are horses of different colors. I'm not sure the subtle differences between the two would shine through or even be beneficial for most average people out there, but people have their preferences.

The primary difference between the two, in my experience and those of others, is that there are less of what I believe are called "anti-cholinergic" effects associated with Hydroxyzine (Vistaril; Atarax) as opposed to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). I tend to recommend Hydroxyzine to folks who are in withdrawal while contraindicating Diphenhydramine for the Restless Legs and stuff that it tends to exacerbate. Otherwise, I think they are horses of different colors. I'm not sure the subtle differences between the two would shine through or even be beneficial for most average people out there, but people have their preferences.
Last detox I went to they gave us hydroxyzine for sleep, 25mg, and it's ok. Diphenhydramine I would just take handfuls to try and sleep, which usually just made me very out of it and I still couldn't sleep(detoxing). That said still 6 years later only thing that helps the restless leg and lets me sleep is Clonazepam. Tried almost everything to avoid benzos. I got some hydroxyzine because I am COVERED in poison ivy so curious to see how it does. They told me with my history to take 50mg.

I think it's more controlled just because it has a psychiatric indication. In some countries, alimemazine is OTC as a 7.5mg/5ml syrup (Vallergan, anti-allergy) but you need an Rx for 5mg tablets (Theralene, sedative-hypnotic).

In the 50/60s, there were lots of OTC "daytime sedatives" marketed in the US as stress-relievers/anxiolytics/whatever. I think a lot of them were just antihistamines, like 50mg pyrilamine or 50mg phenyltoloxamine. Or else belladonna alkaloids, like scopolamine 0.25mg which was in Sominex, IIRC, a popular OTC sleeping pill.

I find hydroxyzine quite a bit more "relaxing" than other antihistamines, but not too sedating -- I'd usually add 25mg diphenhydramine or 12.5mg doxylamine at least if I needed to sleep.
I have fond memories of injecting alimemazine with buprenorphine, very euphoric albeit very bad on the veins.

Hydroxyzine is used at up to 100mg. Wonder whether this would make a sleep aid which would work form me but I wrote antihistamines off after realizing that even 90mg of the strongest H1 antagonist around, mirtazapine, did absolutely nothing for me.