• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydroxyzine and Lexapro questions... ?

merseyside8

Bluelighter
So I had a very life threatening experience when I went to Mexico in June due to a drug. I was hospitalized and went on Valium while I was there. The Valium seemed that it worked wonders. I would take it 1mg to fight the anxiety off. It worked. After taking 1mg for 5-6 days the doctor said to break the pilll in half and take half of it after the 5 days. I ran out of supply and I'm here back in the US. I went to therapy for 3 weeks without medication. I was what seemed to me on the right path. I guess I was maybe like 80% normal? If I had to say it. I suggested to my therapist that maybe I should pursue medication? She said to talk to a psychiatrist. I actually went to urgent care and the doctors there gave me Zoloft 25mg (?) and xanax (.25mg) to take as needed. Very low doses. I then visited the psychiatrist because of the side effects of the Zoloft and xanax. He then ended up giving me Hydroxyzine 25mg and daily dose 10mg Lexapro. I understand that it takes a while before the Lexapro kicks in. Typically 2 weeks maybe and in some cases 4-6. The Hydroxyzine I'm assuming is to take as needed while the Lexapro kicks in? I guess I'm kinda skeptical because I'm really not depressed? At least I don't think I am. It's just the anxiety that I'm having to deal with which may be getting me depressed?

My question is when a doctor prescribes "take as needed" is the medicine suppose to make me feel less anxiety or is it suppose to take it away for however long? Maybe 2-4 hours? I'm asking because even tho I was given the medicine Wednesday I feel like the Hydroxyzine isn't working as good? Should I tell the doctor that the Valium worked better when I was taking it? Cause I literally felt like a normal person when I was taking the Valium. I did everything like normal. Had energy, wanted to go out live my normal life. I know that meds can be addicted so I'm kinda scared in asking for a particular medicine.

Why did you quit therapy after 3 weeks? You said it made you feel 80% normal which is incredible progress. From what you're describing I'd say go back to therapy and forget about drugs. Some anxiety in life is normal and there are events in life that will change what your normal is but therapy is going to be a better way to learn how to cope with this than drugs. If you were having panic attacks I'd say get the script for a benzo to have on hand and maybe consider an antidepressant with therapy. Hydroxizine isn't going to really handle panic attacks like a benzo will but it may help with general anxiety. It's non-addictive unlike benzos so it's not really dangerous but more than likely it won't be that worthwhile.

Why did you quit therapy after 3 weeks? You said it made you feel 80% normal which is incredible progress. From what you're describing I'd say go back to therapy and forget about drugs. Some anxiety in life is normal and there are events in life that will change what your normal is but therapy is going to be a better way to learn how to cope with this than drugs. If you were having panic attacks I'd say get the script for a benzo to have on hand and maybe consider an antidepressant with therapy. Hydroxizine isn't going to really handle panic attacks like a benzo will but it may help with general anxiety. It's non-addictive unlike benzos so it's not really dangerous but more than likely it won't be that worthwhile.

I didn't quit therapy. I am still going. I just kinda figured that maybe getting medication can bump me into that 100% normal state. I have this medication and am taking it. I kinda never had a panic attack before to be honest. But I feel like this medicine is bringing me down. I understand it can make you worse before it makes you better but I also feel that these scripts can make me more susceptible to maybe having one. I was just wondering if going to get some meds was a bad idea and just ride the therapy out and maybe have some benzos on hand just in case.