• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hydromorphone - Lack of Withdrawal

tylersm

Greenlighter
I’m having an interesting experience attempting to quit hydromorphone and want to share.

My usage background: I started using opiates approximately 7 years ago. I first started popping Percocet 5/325, and 15mg would get me pleasantly high. After trying that a handful of times over the course of several months, I tried hydromorphone for the first time, I snorted 12mg and was nothing hard. For the first 2-3 years, I would snort Hydromorphone on the weekends exclusively and use anywhere from 12-18mg. During this period I would periodically do oxycodone, any where from 60-180mg insulated. These doses would get me comfortably high. After year 3 I starting IVing my hydromorphone half the time, insufflating the other half, still sticking to mostly just the weekend. This continued for another 2 years. After year 5, I would periodically use 2-3 times a week, always IV in doses of 12-30mg. This continues for 2 years. After around 7 years, being this past year, I started using 4-5 times a week, always at least 18mg IV, sometimes twice a day for 3 months.

I have never experienced withdrawal symptoms of any kind until this most recent point, I ended up stopped for a week and I had some decent symptoms, not unmanageable but one of the most uncomfortable things I’ve had to deal with. I would begin feeling it 6 hours post dose and they would peak from hours 18-36, and by 72 hours I was withdrawal free.

That was a pretty eye opening experience, I couldn’t believe how horrible it felt. Even that said, I needed up relapsing a week later.

This relapse was about 2 months ago and I really went off the deep end. For the last two months I have been IVing 18-60mg hydromorphone daily. I never used this frequent and after the first withdrawal experiment I was terrified to quit again, thinking it would be 10x worse.

Im now 4 days deep since my last dose. I woke up in sweat 8 hours after it, and by 16 hours I was having, runny nose, diarrhea and extreme chills/cold sweats. By the 32nd hour symptoms began rapidly improving and after 48 I felt no symptoms at all. I’m now 4 days deep and feel incredibly good.

I’ve always had to take large doses of drugs to get where others do on something smaller. I have a very rapid metabolism. Why is it I managed to avoid symptoms for so long, and when I did have them, the first time was 10x worse than the second? The worst part the most recent time was the anxiety felt in anticipating being sick. Are there groups of people are are not susceptible to physical addictions?

Apparently their are people that do not get withdrawal symptoms or maybe its extremely mild. I always thought they damn ego just wouldn't allow them to admit,( I'm sick, and also dependent/addicted) they definitely are addicted so for someone to deny this, tells me they probably hiding&denying the WD.

I never had serious withdrawal from 30mg oxys(at the time, it was in the beginning so mostly used on weekends) until someone told me, "oh you dont have a pep in your step, and your lower back hurts a bit? You are in withdrawal" as soon as I was told this and researched it better, I started to always feel that nasty WD.
So I do believe the mind can create a great affect on this. I have even had times where I'm like ohh it won't be that bad I've been through it an umpteenth amount of times", and low and behold those withdrawals were weaker.

Greetings,

I've also had a lack of (or didn't notice) W/D symptoms during times of a mild - moderate habit, over very similar periods of time and amounts like you describe. However, I was always using dope, which had pretty much random potency... i feel like one's outlook or mindset has a bigger impact on the severity of W/D symptoms than people think.

There was a point where I tried to convince myself that I was immune to withdrawal, made sure I only used every other day, and at the time I felt like it worked... However, I was probably only using, on average, like 2-4 bags/day so not really sure what effect it may have had. In the end, everyone's body metabolizes things at different rates and people might handle things -- both physically and mentally in very different ways.

What weight of what purity of what drug is 'a bag'?

I buy a gram of H once every couple of years... but I always conclude that I didn't get a £50 ride in spite of my local HR agency informing me that the H was 76% pure.

I should add that they guy usually only shifts weights - but he also uses so I get what he gets.

Might be you're looking a gift horse in the mouth :p

You are lucky and I'd do anything to not experience withdrawal symptoms. Part of it might just be the dose. You're still on a fairly low dose relatively speaking. Keeping it that way is very difficult in the long run, but 7 years is a good long while! Try keeping it that way, or better yet you could cash out your chips and beat the house. It is a rigged game and in the long run the house always wins.

Not trying to preach, but you've had a good long run and this last recent binge with higher doses is how it usually starts getting worse and worse. Especially with needles in the mix.

The more times I went through the cycle of addiction and withdrawal, the worse it seems to get. I agree that so much of it is in the mind.

I believe its association, similar to taste aversion. I associate the onset of WD symptoms with everything awful that follows, and that makes it all feel worse and hit me harder and faster. Each time reinforcing it and thus making it so.

As soon as I start getting the chills, I know before long I'll be throwing up and my bones will hurt. Therefore as soon as I start feeling the chills, my brain knows to associate it with my bones hurting and that makes them start hurting, or something along those lines.

The more times I went through the cycle of addiction and withdrawal, the worse it seems to get. I agree that so much of it is in the mind.

Same for everyone I think people who use for 10, 20 or even 30 years just went through worse and worse rattles and now they simply made a 'lifestyle choice' to keep on using.

A 30mg OC swallowed still hits me - and even so, I've forced/tricked the doctor into giving me a TID prescription... but I'm STILL rattling for a couple of hours before the next pill.

So I've cut right down. ONE when I cannot move for the pain.

OC is a trap.

I'm switching doctors and I'm going to ask for Physeptone (methadone tablets) or just DHC.

The Sackler family should be in jail.

I'd Say the Best thing You had going for you was that You were only using once a day, especially beneficial because the hydromorphone high doesnt seem to last very long.

It didn't seem realistic to expect such a potent opiate to have no withdrawal. You've hit the nail on the head with this.